cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do sellers have any recourse against buyers falsely claiming damaged item?

I recently sold my first item on Ebay...a blu-ray steelbook.

The cardboard box I shipped it in was extremely sturdy and durable and even had a thick layer of foam on the inside. I also wrapped the steelbook in several layers of newspaper, tissue  paper and even a ring of cotton balls around the outside...to eliminate the possibilty of any wiggle room.

I took pictures of each stage of the packing process, just to make sure I could prove everything I'm saying, should the buyer claim otherwise.

Upon the package being delivered, the buyer waited two days to contact me and sent pictures with three large dents on the steelbook case, saying that the post office had "manhandled it."

I do not believe his story at all. I can post the photos of the box and material I shipped it in if anyone is interested. There is no way that those dents occured during shipping, unless the box was run over by a truck.

Now the buyer is asking for a discount.

the whole thing is shady as hell.

What can/should I do?

...am I just screwed?

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Not that I'm aware of.

I haven't been notified of any dispute filed.

We've just been exchanging messages on Ebay.

I just offered him a $10 discount, but said if he wants more than that, I will file the insurance claim and go through the process before doing a return and refund.

Might be more headache than it's worth...but I'm willing to go though it for the principle of the matter.
Message 31 of 74
latest reply

You've got your wagon way out ahead of the horse don't feel bad most new folks do because they don't know the system and how the game is played. You can't do anything now except wait and see if he agrees to your $10.00 offer. If they accept don't just send them $10.00 they have to go through the dispute process in order for it to become a matter of record....

Message 32 of 74
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
It's no coincidence that he has only positive reviews, since he cannot receive negs. That's why it's important to set preferences to block violators (those will not show up on feedback, they won't even know until they go to buy something and they can't because they're a scammer!)

So if he does return it, and it's not in the condition you sent it, report him. Make sure he goes through proper channels to return the item (he has to open a return case or snad, he has to upload his tracking number when he ships the item back).

You're way off base - if the item did receive damage during shipping - the buyer should not be reported. A claim should be filed with the USPS. Do not have the buyer send back the original packaging and the box - that voids your insurance on the package.

I'm sorry but you're getting a lot of false info here. The buyer was kind enough to send photos - start an insurance claim and let the buyer know that they may want to inspect the packaging and item so he has to keep them available.  If he refuses to do so then come back here and we'll advice you on the next steps.

Message 33 of 74
latest reply

No one is saying the item is being reshipped - the buyer just has a po box like thousands of other buyers here. Usually if they are using a reshipper - the items are sent directly to the shipper's warehouse to process with a specific buyer ID.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't deal with USPS but according to various posters here, the item being reshipped will void the insurance. I believe that you can file the claim online and attach pictures of the packaging and item to the claim.  In some cases usps will pay insurance based on the pictures.  Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

As far as what to do now, file the claim first.  Im honestly not sure what I would do next.  Im sure someone else will have a suggestion and more info.

Message 34 of 74
latest reply

A voice of reason - TY for showing up!

Message 35 of 74
latest reply

tunica I'm multi tasking listing answering listing answering. I hate listing,but I've already had my nap so list is all thats left...

Message 36 of 74
latest reply

He just countered my $10 offer by asking for a $25 discount.

To me it sounds like he's trying to negotiate to see how much money he can get back, while still getting to keep the item.
Message 37 of 74
latest reply

Congrats you hook a scammer. I know this will sound harsh and most folks won't agree,but respond with sorry I'm not going to give that amount of a partial refund. You'll need to contact ebay and begin a return. Once item is returned I'll issue you a full refund. Thats it don't respond anymore don't pay attention to any threats made don't think ebay will stand by you do nothing else until they open that claim.  They are to well versed with the system and will probably go away rather than risk coming up on ebays radar again...

Message 38 of 74
latest reply

The barage of threats will soon follow they'll neg you they'll turn you in to ebay they'll call the FBI CIA BCI and contact the BBB. No matter how much you want to email blast them that just feeds their anger. Just chuckle and hit delete and wait for the dispute to be opened that does more mental damage to the wingnuts and doesn't feed them....

Message 39 of 74
latest reply

They will refund you the $80 that was paid for the item.

You can submit pictures if you want but it is not required.

PO will send a check for amount to you if you fill out a

claim form online.

Have the buyer return the item to you.

Message 40 of 74
latest reply

But I need to deal with the insurance claim process before the return takes place...yes?
Message 41 of 74
latest reply

Wrong answer when USPS pays a claim the item belongs to them. It no longer belongs to the seller or the buyer sometimes depending on value they'll pick it up but the majority of the time its abandon and left in the buyers possession to dispose of as they please...

Message 42 of 74
latest reply

Your buyer is not going to wait 4 to 6 weeks while a insurance claim is processed. You can try but like I said the claim will be denied and you'll be dealing with this issue again 6 weeks from now and a lot can take place during that timeframe...

Message 43 of 74
latest reply

I sell glass and pack world class and this year so far I'm 0-5 on USPS damage claims. The person that reads the claim and looks at photos is a employee of USPS and even if you appeal thie decision it will be reviewed by another USPS employee and they'll also just rubber stamp CLAIM DENIED if they didn't they'd no longer be employed there...

Message 44 of 74
latest reply

If I just say "no" and wait a day, is it possible that he'll just back down and go away?

Once I contact ebay about a return process, there's no going back right?

If insists on a bigger refund or return, I'm supposed to file the insurance claim and deal with that before I ask him to return it...is that right?
Message 45 of 74
latest reply