cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Resolution

Learned a very valuable lesson.  eBay and PayPal handle disputes very differently yet are bound by PayPal resolution. PayPal doesn't and won't use eBay email exchange in resolution process.  So if there is pertanent and valuable information in that exchange, it will be ignored by PayPal.  Subsequently a party is subject to hearsay only.

Once Paypal rules no support or recourse through eBay.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Dispute Resolution

The BEST WAY to use ebay is to pay with PAYPAL using your CREDIT CARD as the funding source.

Then when an issue arises, file a case with EBAY. That way if you LOSE with ebay, you can file with PAYPAL and if you should lose there too, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company. 

If you file with PAYPAL first, you cannot file with ebay. Ebay allows you to pursue a refund through ONE avenue ONLY. Paypal however does not. You can file with ebay and then file with paypal. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Dispute Resolution

The BEST WAY to use ebay is to pay with PAYPAL using your CREDIT CARD as the funding source.

I agree with this too.

Then when an issue arises, file a case with EBAY. That way if you LOSE with ebay, you can file with PAYPAL

I'm not sure if PP actually allows you to do that.  When you go into PP to open a claim, they ask if it is an Ebay transaction and if it is, they send you to the Ebay system to open the claim.  There may be a way to get back to the PP system to open a claim, however it is against the rules in Ebay to open claims in both sites.  So when they figure out that this is what you did, you could be in trouble.  I have no idea what the ramifications are as I've certainly never tried this nor would I.

and if you should lose there too, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company. 

Yes, this you certainly can do.  However if you lost the claim you filed in either PP or Ebay, chances are pretty good you will lose the charback too.  Just because a buyer files a chargeback does not mean they auto win.  The CCC requires proof of the wrongdoing too.  And if your seller won a claim because they prove whatever you were claiming was incorrect, all they have to do is submit the same info to battle the chargeback.

If you file with PAYPAL first, you cannot file with ebay. Ebay allows you to pursue a refund through ONE avenue ONLY. Paypal however does not. You can file with ebay and then file with paypal. 

I'm unsure of this.  The last time I tried to open a claim in PP [just a couple months ago], they asked if it was an Ebay transaction, I said yes and they sent me to Ebay to open the Request.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Dispute Resolution

PayPal does allow buyers to file a claim even if they opened and lost a claim on eBay.  There have been a number of posts about buyers who have done that. 

I'm not positive but I think that started just after the eBay /PP split.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Dispute Resolution

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

PayPal does allow buyers to file a claim even if they opened and lost a claim on eBay.  There have been a number of posts about buyers who have done that. 

I'm not positive but I think that started just after the eBay /PP split.

Sometimes others call it a claim when it is actually a chargeback, which as we know is different.

All I can tell you is my recent experience.  Which was once I told PP I needed to file a claim on an Ebay item, they diverted me to Ebay.  They may have changed that in the past couple months, I don't know.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 5
latest reply