cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion - The Modern Buyer The Growing Influence of Gen Z

Hi, everyone!

We’ve posted our final installment in “The Modern Buyer” blog series where we are diving deep into the shopping experience today’s buyers expect, and what this means for eBay sellers.

Today’s article covers the youngest generation, Gen Z. This generation, born between 2000 and the mid-2010s, are already earning their own money—and influencing how their parents spend theirs.

I’m Jennifer Deal, eBay Seller Marketing Manager, and I’ll be popping in and out of this thread to answer your questions and infuse some discussion points over the next couple of days.

[video]

Join the discussion below!

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@sharingthelandwrote:

Members of Gen-Z are more likely to buy in stores than millennials and prefer it to e-commerce, according to multiple studies. However, technology heavily influences those mostly in-store purchase behaviors.

Uh oh. 

___

Could this be perhaps because the 12-year-olds don't have their own credit cards, thus strictly limiting the ability to buy anything on line.  Or is it because hanging' out at the mall in small hordes is still the thing to do when one isn't old enough to get a driver's license.

This whole discussion is crazy, unless ebay is trying to get free 10-year projections from people here instead of paying for market research.

I know that many of the kids in my family like to hold the stuff that they want. The girls want to look at the make-up colors up close. The little ones run right to the toy dept, when they get the chance too. The boys want to try out the new video games, on the demos. None of them are scrolling the net doing this stuff. If they're not texting, they're on youtube, or looking up stuff related to homework. Outside of that, they are doing other stuff off the net.

As they should be.

I blame the idiot school boards that think everyone in the first grade should have an IPud.

More and more parents are rethinking/learning that the net is not a good place for children as it has such a negative impact on their early childhood development, which includes their health. Even the armed forces has a problem with recruitment, because 76% of todays youth can't pass the requirements. That's because many have health issues due to sedentary lifestyles at a young age. 

Message 121 of 132
latest reply

Why not a blog on the modern seller?

perhaps you can mention all the chatter  of many small ebay sellers in that blog.

Things like they feel as if ebay limits there sales, traffic is getting less and Less, how many are using several other sites besides ebay because ebay sales are down, lack of traffic and the fact they feel as if ebay just don’t care to have the smaller sellers.

Also mention the fact that many of these sellers feel as if ebay is dumping the thing and the people that made it what it is today.

Then there is many smaller sellers that wonder why ebay does not do more to prevent buyer fraud, take a piece of the shipping cost and so much more.

Any brick and mortar or online site that sales products does need both buyers and suppliers.

My advice is for eBay to actually acknowledge they have the market cornered with vintage, Used and rare hard to find items. Once you lose that position I doubt you will ever get it back.

I’m new to the selling game but have purchased on eBay since the beginning.

i did not come here to purchase brand new items, if I wanted to do that I could go down the road to my local stores and get the same or better price and actually try it on, hold in my hand, try it out and bring it home that day.

I want ebay to succeed and as long as Ebay tries to compete with Amazon it will be not good.

Trust me at some point Amazon will sink itself with a bad business decision, lack of interest or simply being to big for itself. 

The final thing you can talk about in that blog is how many Modern sellers fell that ebay gives the China Junk Made products a better position to sale on eBay right here in the USA.

I read a lot online and few of your a larger sellers are starting to have the same concerns as your smaller sellers.

Message 122 of 132
latest reply

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

3 ) what's my exit strategy if I don't care to sell to this audience or in line with their preferences in the future? 

So are you saying if we do not cater to this market we need to leave?

I sell in markets that gen x doesn't buy in. My main market buys items that keep major machinery running so Gen X ers have a job.

Is eBay going to get rid of all those catagories that do not cater to Gen X with cheap Chinese junk?

Can we cut to the chase already? Exactly what is ebay planning to do?

@the_fancy_fox

In response to the question about exit strategy, I noted that this could a consideration to what products would not appeal to certain groups of buyers in the future. As millennials and gen z move through life stages and becoming the more active consumers, do the products we sell match what they want?

Message 123 of 132
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@ted_200wrote:

But if gen Z started in 2000... that means it will not end until 2020.

( 20 years is a generation )

So ebay is telling me to targer the under 18 buyers... 

In particular, the three blog authors who actually wrote the series, @katie_hammel@emma_fulcher and @anthony_payne, have been thunderously silent on the topic despite direct contacts inviting them to share what they thought about what they learned, beyond their article(s). I have the distinct impression that someone, perhaps scene.of.the.crop, handed out writing assignments which they dutifully completed and turned in, but so much of the content seems to have been derived from Googling other articles (correctly attributed) on young buyers that we could have turned up ourselves.

In turn, those articles themselves are referencing other articles on the same thing; it's like a great big Marketing circle-something where each author produces their original content by summarizing what the others said. (Columnist Dave Barry once described a similar process for how early 1800s Washington lobbyists survived in the wilderness by taking each other to lunch.) We could have achieved much the same thing with a directive of, "Here! Read this Forbes article and get back to me!"

So let's get off the Marketing Research merry-go-round and just talk plainly about what eBay needs to do in order to help its sellers succeed. Its current problems seem very much self-inflicted, not the fault of the sellers.

@a_c_green wrote:

@ted_200wrote:

But if gen Z started in 2000... that means it will not end until 2020.

( 20 years is a generation )

So ebay is telling me to targer the under 18 buyers... 

Okay, okay... Smiley Happy (This reply is not directed at ted_200 specifically; I just needed a short quote for context here...) Let's forget about whatever the official age range is for GenZ for now... I saw one referenced article calling it mid-1990s to mid-2000s, which would put them at 13-23 years of age, which seems reasonable; I'm willing to concede that the age range given in Chapter 4 of the blog series was a typo.

All that aside now, this whole exercise seems to have been a rather one-sided exercise in Marketing doublespeak, with a major reluctance on the part of the eBay contacts here to say anything of substance about what their goal is. We as sellers are, I would say, as aware as possible about what we're selling here and to whom; we'd just be grateful if the site would work properly and offer some protection against scammers. 

In particular, the three blog authors who actually wrote the series, @katie_hammel@emma_fulcher and @anthony_payne, have been thunderously silent on the topic despite direct contacts inviting them to share what they thought about what they learned, beyond their article(s). I have the distinct impression that someone, perhaps scene.of.the.crop, handed out writing assignments which they dutifully completed and turned in, but so much of the content seems to have been derived from Googling other articles (correctly attributed) on young buyers that we could have turned up ourselves.

@a_c_green  Our bloggers are reading through comments as well as a broader eBay team, but I happen to be the moderator for this discussion as I was for the rest of the series. 

Message 124 of 132
latest reply

Thanks for responding to the questions!
Message 125 of 132
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

All that aside now, this whole exercise seems to have been a rather one-sided exercise in Marketing doublespeak, with a major reluctance on the part of the eBay contacts here to say anything of substance about what their goal is. We as sellers are, I would say, as aware as possible about what we're selling here and to whom; we'd just be grateful if the site would work properly and offer some protection against scammers. 

@ted_200  Happy to remind everyone why this conversation started. We came into the near year talking aboutour customers, their shopping behaviors and habits, what influences that and what sellers may need to think about as they plan their businesses in the near and long term futures. Bob Kupben's blog last week also talks about this as he shares that eBay is adjusting to the changing behaviors of today’s online shopper what we're focused on this year.  

The articles are not eBay specific because the impact of our customers from any generation affect the retail industry as a whole and many other industries. We have appreciated the active conversations among this community about who is adjusting, who doesn't need to and why, what sellers are concerned about, and what successes sellers have already seen with their adjustments. 

As a community in retail, this is an opportunity for everyone to share their thoughts about the future. 

Message 126 of 132
latest reply

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

3 ) what's my exit strategy if I don't care to sell to this audience or in line with their preferences in the future? 

I sell in markets that gen x doesn't buy in. My main market buys items that keep major machinery running so Gen X ers have a job.

Is eBay going to get rid of all those catagories that do not cater to Gen X with cheap Chinese junk?

@the_fancy_fox

In response to the question about exit strategy, I noted that this could a consideration to what products would not appeal to certain groups of buyers in the future. As millennials and gen z move through life stages and becoming the more active consumers, do the products we sell match what they want?

How is it any different than what happens now?  What I buy (and sell) now is vastly different than 30 years ago even 10 years ago. So?  Perhaps some things won't appeal in the future then again they could turn into a hot collectable. 

Forcing one particular way of thinking to manipulate market share never ends well.

Is eBay's going to force all sellers and catagories into a non list type buying form? Is so, i can tell you that won't go over well with your industrial sellers nor our buyers.  Most people don't like their choices being manipulated.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 127 of 132
latest reply

Thanks for responding to the question!

Message 128 of 132
latest reply

Thanks for responding to the question!
Message 129 of 132
latest reply

@scene.of.the.crop

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

@ted_200wrote:

@ted_200  Happy to remind everyone why this conversation started. We came into the near year talking aboutour customers, their shopping behaviors and habits, what influences that and what sellers may need to think about as they plan their businesses in the near and long term futures. Bob Kupben's blog last week also talks about this as he shares that eBay is adjusting to the changing behaviors of today’s online shopper what we're focused on this year.  

The articles are not eBay specific because the impact of our customers from any generation affect the retail industry as a whole and many other industries. We have appreciated the active conversations among this community about who is adjusting, who doesn't need to and why, what sellers are concerned about, and what successes sellers have already seen with their adjustments. 

As a community in retail, this is an opportunity for everyone to share their thoughts about the future. 

You say "our customers" but we are not business partners.

My customers are MY customers.

ebay is an online classified ad nothing more.

( and it's a nice platform, don't get me wrong )

But gen Z is 18 years at tops, and some are not born yet.

So how do we market to a group that will not be buyers for up to 20 years.

I like to plan for the future, but I have no clue what the market will be like that far in the future.

Message 130 of 132
latest reply

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

@the_fancy_foxwrote:

@scene.of.the.cropwrote:

@the_fancy_fox

How is it any different than what happens now?  What I buy (and sell) now is vastly different than 30 years ago even 10 years ago. So?  Perhaps some things won't appeal in the future then again they could turn into a hot collectable. 

Forcing one particular way of thinking to manipulate market share never ends well.

Is eBay's going to force all sellers and catagories into a non list type buying form? Is so, i can tell you that won't go over well with your industrial sellers nor our buyers.  Most people don't like their choices being manipulated.

Since that is what's happening now, no wonder buyers aren't coming here.

I sure wouldn't open up a new ID and get told I could only bid on a few auctions before I buy a bunch of stuff via BIN.

Imagine getting told at an auction house that you have to buy 4 hot sausage sandwiches before you can bid on anything? How many people would be left there?

Hello!   Thank you all for your participation in our final chat about The Modern Buyer, The Growing Influence of Gen Z.  On behalf of my team, we appreciate the constructive conversation, ideas and all comments. 

We know you're taking time out of your day to be engaged, and we appreciate that!  High five to @bargainsandbaubles for sharing his voice as a Gen Zer!  

If you’re interested in more conversations on The Modern Buyer, we’ll have a lesson and chat in Seller Boot Camp mid-March. Register here.

Message 132 of 132
latest reply