cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital buyer scams

I've been selling digital goods lately and making a really good profit however I keep running into scammers. They ask for the cd key to be sent and after it is sent withing 10 minutes they claim their account was hacked or card was stolen. Then state they are reporting the incident to the ebay fraud department. 

Lately I have been sending a fake code to test and see if they actually care or not to try it which has saved me on countless transactions. 

Has anyone else been running into the same type of scams and what can be done to prevent them?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Digital buyer scams

@leagueoflegends-warehouse wrote:

Has anyone else been running into the same type of scams and what can be done to prevent them?

Well, you could start by complying with policy:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

And you could stop sending out fake stuff to trick your buyers.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@leagueoflegends-warehouse wrote:

Well, you could start by complying with policy:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

And you could stop sending out fake stuff to trick your buyers.

OP, when you are done with this, check out what the terms are for those gaming accounts - highly likely that you are not allowed to sell them.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

All of those past buyers can easily get their money back

by filing Not Received claims with either eBay or Paypal.

So dont' spend all that money yet.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

PayPal does provide seller protection for digital goods that are downloaded from secure servers, which is not on eBay.

Lots of digital goods are sold here, but there is no seller protection.  List those in everything else/information products, and only accept cash (which, in reality, I'm not certain is available since Classifieds closed down).  When you accept PayPal, you have to deliver a tangible good to a physical address.  Otherwise, any time a buyer claims non-receipt, you will have to issue a refund.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 5
latest reply