cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone else decide to no longer accept returns because of Paypal's new policy?

So, as I'm sure some of you are aware, Paypal enacted a new policy a few months ago where they will no longer issue Paypal fee credit after a refund is given.

Recently I sold a $525 and the buyer asked for a refund before I shipped the item. I'm accustomed to giving refund and returns no matter what, because I would be put back to zero. Meaning ebay and paypal fees would've been refunded back to me and I would be at a clean slate. So I refunded him... only to be stuck with a $24 Paypal transaction fee because of their new policy.

I started a chat with Paypal about this, because I wasn't aware of their new policy and inquired about why the fee wasn't refunded. In the automated part of the chat, their virtual assistant gave me  this link, which explains that I would get refunded the fee. Despite their website still telling me I would be refunded, the representative told me they will not refund me and that it technically isn't even possible to refund me. So whatever, I accept that loss.

What I realize now though, is that in order to protect myself from this happening again, I can no longer issue returns and refunds on my ebay sales. I am not a seller store and use ebay to sell items I no longer need, which is only maybe 5 items per year. Every item I sell is generally in the $500+ range, so the Paypal fees I pay are large. And I do not want to expose myself to the whim of the buyer when it is so costly to me.

Has anyone else taken this route and decided to no longer accept returns or give refunds? I'm interested to hear other's thoughts and if anyone came up with another solution beside the one I came up with.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Did anyone else decide to no longer accept returns because of Paypal's new policy?

If you decide to have a No Returns policy, that is only for buyer's remorse: changed mind, didn't like it, found it cheaper elsewhere, doesn't fit.  If the buyer states Not as Described, you WILL accept the refund.  You will supply a prepaid shipping label for the return, and once the item is delivered back to you, you will have 48 hours in order to refund the buyer in full.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I'm in Managed Payments, so cannot address the PayPal issue.

I can tell you that 'No Returns' (unless from Buyer's Remorse) isn't worth the bits and bytes used to type the message.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I have now run into this situation 4 times since the PayPal rule change.  This would have totaled about $60 in refunds.  Instead, I explained to the buyer that I am happy to cancel their sale, however, if they have already paid I am unable to refund the processing fees charged by PayPal.  I look up the PayPal fee and let them know what portion of the amount paid they would not be receiving back.  You must process the refund directly through PayPal.  The buyer can then make a complaint with PayPal and try and recoup the fees that PayPal, not us, charged.  

Hopefully they will come up with a better system for this, but  for now we eat it.  I sell mostly shoes, I must have a return policy for incorrect fit or my business would diminish greatly.  In this case, I do not refund either side of shipping but do eat the PayPal fees.  It sucks, but it's now just the cost of doing business.  Add that to all the buyers that now want better prices to make up for the sales tax they have to pay and margins are now thinner 😞

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

No, I still do returns and refunds.

Just because you change to no returns, doesn't mean you won't be giving refunds.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Then what is the no returns accepted badge for? for 200 I would walk away from this place.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@richards*rock*collection wrote:
Then what is the no returns accepted badge for? for 200 I would walk away from this place.

No returns is only for remorse returns and you don't have to accept them if you have no returns.

But, most buyers know that all they have to do is file an INAD and the sellers no return policy means nothing.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

NO returns does NOT mean no refunds as per eBay's Money Back Guarantee which over rides any policy a seller may have. Even for Remorse, buyers will indeed find their way to return and/or get a refund.

It matters not what selling platform used by any seller, there are always policies in place whereby buyers have buyer protection and will always have the ability to file for a return and/or refund, no matter what.

It's the way of the selling world...it's just another fact of life these days...

adapt or move on...

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

My average eBay sale is generally $30 or less (and I have only had 1 or 2 returns in a year). If I were selling $500 items that are returned more often, I would think again about being here. In my pre-eBay days (1987-2000) my policies included a 20% restock charge on remorse returns, but I had very few returns then either.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I did this as well but included my ebay fees ( and the shipping to customer) in the total since you would not be getting those back if the refund is made via paypal.
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Wow I didn't even know that.  On somethings I don't accept returns because people like to rent things.  I miss 2 things....20% restocking fee and ESPECIALLY being able to give a buyer a negative.  It used to be all you had to do was subtly intimate a negative could be coming and then they would scatter.  For some people this is going to be a huge problem.  It's like a new overdraft type fee. Someone should challenge it in the courts.  

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

My policy will remain unchanged.

With few exceptions, in many years of selling the buyers reason for return was incorrect (INAD/SNAD) , so any return policy would be meaningless as they would be covered by the MBG

I sell lower cost items. $100 or less, with most being under $50 so any request to canx before shipping is honored.  My business model is set up to absorb such losses. 1 account is in MP, so matters not.(at this point)(subject to change)

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

You may not have to worry about any of this much longer. eBay is on it's death spiral mostly fueled by its bad policies. PayPals no refund policy on fees isn't helping any.

Sales tax was the final nail in the coffin for them. More and more analysts are becoming negative on the stock.

https://seekingalpha-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/news/3533209-job-cuts-hit-ebays...

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Nothing has changed, but if you trash or give away the items you get nothing.... right?

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Oops, wrong thread. ^^^^^

For this one - I’m in the cost of doing business camp. Too many potential problems with NOT accepting returns.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply