cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I miss a new policy / rule / guideline ?

As @scene.of.the.crop stated, eBay's expectations are for delivery before the promised delivery date

Ummm...what is the definition of "expectations" and how does it impact sellers?   Does "expectation" trump "promised?"

Signed,

Maybe I Didn't Read Every Word In That Thread ?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

Happy Monday @Anonymous

<< A seller is expected to ensure an item is delivered before the latest estimated delivery date has passed>>

Trinton, I think what the objection here is has to do with wording ... again.

"Before the Last Estimated Delivery Date"

is a completely different statement than

"On or Before the Last Estimated Delivery Date"

and is miles away from scene.of.the.crop's statement

"before the promised delivery date"

Hi @penguins_dont_fly, I can confirm that when eBay states before we are including the last estimated delivery date, as the item is not late until after this date. We are looking for delivery before the latest estimated delivery date, which includes the last estimated day. We do not consider these statements to be completely different. Additionally, promised delivery date would be the same as the estimated delivery date, as the estimate is created from the seller's handling time and shipping method and is a promise made to their customer regarding the timeframe in which they should expect their item.

I know that when synonyms or analogies are used here on the boards, it can begin a conversation as to if we mean something different than what has been stated previously, and you are welcome to ask for clarification as you have done here. Replying to a staff member to say something like, "When you say promised delivery date, do you mean by the end of the last estimated delivery date as eBay has indicated in the past?" would be an easy way of clearing up any confusion.

Working with our Community primarily through a written format, I know how meaning can sometimes be unclear. Definitely let us know if you ever have any questions and we are happy to clarify slight_smile

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

We are looking for delivery before the latest estimated delivery date, which includes the last estimated day. We do not consider these statements to be completely different.

Huh ??  Of course these statements are different. 

Saying "before the last estimated delivery date" is the same as "last estimated delivery date" is contradictory; it is not a hairsplitting discussion of which word was a synonym or an analogy.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

We are looking for delivery before the latest estimated delivery date, which includes the last estimated day. We do not consider these statements to be completely different.

Saying "before the last estimated delivery date" is the same as "last estimated delivery date" is contradictory; it is not a hairsplitting discussion of which word was a synonym or an analogy.

Generally accepted terminology seems to be "BY the Latest Estimated Arrival Date."  That's what I see most often.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 33 of 66
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Notice he said 'completely different'.

<<Additionally, promised delivery date would be the same as the estimated delivery date, as the estimate is created from the seller's handling time and shipping method and is a promise made to their customer regarding the timeframe in which they should expect their item.>>

How can an estimate equal a promise?

The word estimated means just that.... it has a very high probability of being that, but might not be due to unforseen circumstances.

If you get an estimate for a car repair, the final bill is not promised to be equal to that amount.

I cannot promise my buyers anything besides getting it into the carrier's hands on time using the method stated in the listing.

---

"Before" does not equal "On or Before"

Before Tuesday means Monday or earlier

On or Before Tuesday means Tuesday or earlier.

When my old boss gave me a project deadline of "Before Friday", I had better have had the numbers to him by Thursday close of day, the latest ... not Friday morning right before his presentation to the Execs. 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@Anonymous you said: A seller is expected to ensure an item is delivered before the latest estimated delivery date has passed. If this does not happen, the buyer can open an item not received request. 

How can any seller ensure an item is delivered when the seller is not the one who delivers the item?

And what will happen in my situation???  I have kept my buyer apprised of the situation via eBay message that THE POST OFFICE (not me) has delayed her package's arrival.  

My situation is:  I have a 1-day handling time on all my listings.  My buyer paid for her item on Sunday 1/7/18.  I printed the label right then and went to the P.O. Monday, 1/8 and it was scanned immediately.

I went to their USPS Informed Delivery website  the other day and see the item is DELAYED and the message says it will not be delivered in the expected time.   I requested emails for ALL movement/updates.    So far nothing.  

It appears the package went from Hollywood, FL to Dearborn, MI and then to OpaLocka, FL and back to Dearborn, MI where it hasn't moved an inch since 1/13.  

Carrier:  USPS

ACCEPTED   IN TRANSIT                   DELIVERED

In Transit to Destination

Jan-15-18, 12:15 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

Jan-14-18, 12:15 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

Jan-13-18, 12:15 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility

Jan-12-18, 01:15 AM, OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

Jan-11-18, 16:48 PM, OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Jan-11-18, 12:07 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

Jan-10-18, 12:07 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

Jan-09-18, 12:07 PM, On its way to DEARBORN, MI 48128

USPS in possession of item

Jan-08-18, 14:07 PM, HOLLYWOOD, FL 33024

Hi @rainbowcolorz, since the seller selects the shipping couriers they are contracting with, they would be solely responsible for the actions of those couriers. Delays will happen from time to time and eBay has protection options for when these are related to natural disasters or weather events that prevent shipping on time. If a seller ships within his stated handling time as promised, then he generally has nothing to worry about in regards to shipping concerns, however, if the courier is regularly delivering items late then the seller would be empowered to explore alternative shipping options to improve their buyer's experience and ensure a higher level of service.

For your specific situation, we would wait to see if the item is successfully delivered and when this occurs before being able to speak definitively on what protections you are eligible for. I can confirm that since you shipped within your stated handling time, you would be in compliance with our on time shipping metrics and you would not be expected to take a return on this item if it were delivered late unless you are a part of our Guaranteed Delivery program. I recommend you keep an eye on the tracking information and stay in communication with the buyer to create the best experience for them and contact Customer Service if you have any transaction specific concerns.

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

since the seller selects the shipping couriers they are contracting with, they would be solely responsible for the actions of those couriers.

????????

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 37 of 66
latest reply

I get Fed Ex service alerts just about every day this month and last for delays at some hub or another due to weather.

How is a seller solely responsible for that?

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

I thought maybe "completely" was one of those ebay words that can be confusingly synonomous or analogous in written communication, so I left it out.    

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 39 of 66
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

I thought maybe "completely" was one of those ebay words that can be confusingly synonomous or analogous in written communication, so I left it out.    

Not here.

Kinda like 'soon'. It has meaning, we just don't know what it is.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

As in  'And now for something ..." ?

Sometimes around here I feel like I'm in a pet shop looking at a parrot.

Message 41 of 66
latest reply

Unknown.jpeg

Message 42 of 66
latest reply

Hi @penguins_dont_fly, I can confirm that when eBay states before we are including the last estimated delivery date, as the item is not late until after this date. We are looking for delivery before the latest estimated delivery date, which includes the last estimated day. We do not consider these statements to be completely different. Additionally, promised delivery date would be the same as the estimated delivery date, as the estimate is created from the seller's handling time and shipping method and is a promise made to their customer regarding the timeframe in which they should expect their item.

I know that when synonyms or analogies are used here on the boards, it can begin a conversation as to if we mean something different than what has been stated previously, and you are welcome to ask for clarification as you have done here. Replying to a staff member to say something like, "When you say promised delivery date, do you mean by the end of the last estimated delivery date as eBay has indicated in the past?" would be an easy way of clearing up any confusion.

Working with our Community primarily through a written format, I know how meaning can sometimes be unclear. Definitely let us know if you ever have any questions and we are happy to clarify slight smile

In your previous reply back in post #21, you twice mentioned a return might be justified if the item arrived "significantly later" than the last Delivery Estimate date.   

1.  Are you referring to a "Return Policy" type return, or a "Not As Described" dispute type of return where the buyer will get a Free Return Shipping label?

2.  Can you define "significantly"? 

3.  Can you refer me to the eBay Policy page where we are dealing with "significantly" later as a parameter in dealing either with Returns or MBG claims?  I am only aware of that word being used in the contest of "significantly not as described". 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 43 of 66
latest reply

Hi @rainbowcolorz, since the seller selects the shipping couriers they are contracting with, they would be solely responsible for the actions of those couriers. Delays will happen from time to time and eBay has protection options for when these are related to natural disasters or weather events that prevent shipping on time. If a seller ships within his stated handling time as promised, then he generally has nothing to worry about in regards to shipping concerns, however, if the courier is regularly delivering items late then the seller would be empowered to explore alternative shipping options to improve their buyer's experience and ensure a higher level of service.

You realize the "Estimated Delivery Date" is being formulated and provided to the buyer by eBay, and NOT the seller - nor his shipping contractor - right? 

So... the seller is empowered to fire the courier because the courier could not meet an estimate made by eBay that the seller never wanted shown to the buyer - and that the courier never guaranteed - to begin with?   

How did we get to a point where the carrier I specified in the listing is not actually part of the listing, but a delivery date that I did NOT specify anywhere (and that the carriers - all of them, except for really expensive Over Night services - never guaranteed) is part of the listing?

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 44 of 66
latest reply

General response—

color me confused here. We were told by Trinton and/or other blues that sellers can call and get INR cases placed on hold if the tracking shows the item is clearly enroute. Is that no longer the case? Because here we are being told the seller is expected to get the item to the buyer before the latest delivery estimate and that the buyer can file SNAD if it arrives late......

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 45 of 66
latest reply