cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description not showing for my item listing

Hello,

Hopefully somebody has found a solution to this problem. I've seen it mentioned from time to time, and I've been searching for a solution for the past couple of hours, so I've seen lots of these cases on forums like this. However, I have yet to see somebody do something that works to solve the problem.

I put two listings up this morning. One of them shows the description just fine. The other doesn't show the description at all, and it's followed by 3 acres of white space before it gets to the Q&A at the bottom of the page. I've seen this happen before, but this time I'm actually going to post here and hopefully find a helpful suggestion. I have other listings to put up, but I'll wait until I can do something about this mysterious problem first.

I'm using Firefox, but I've seen posts where people say it happens in other browsers as well. (Maybe it's Firefox, maybe it's not. I don't know.) I've disabled adblock and antivirus. I've tried clearing the cache, the history, any offline data, hit the "reload tab" button so many times I'm virtually wearing it out... and so far nothing has worked. In desperation, I even revised the basic HTML of the description on the listing to be a table body instead of simple 'paragraph' text. That didn't work either.

And despite reading pages of forum posts regarding this issue over the past couple of years, I've never once heard an answer for why a listing would show 3 acres of blank white space - forcing one to scroll down for a long way to get to the bottom of the page. Even if the description shows up. Maybe that's a separate issue? Still, I'd really like to know why it does that and how to stop it.

In any case, the listing that appears fine is item number: 122729021564

The listing that's having this "no description" problem is item number: 122729050399

If anyone has any input on this whatsoever, please reply to this post. Preferably somebody from ebay's software or technical divisions, but any useful input on why some item listings do this would be very much appreciated.

As mentioned above, I've spent a countless number of hours searching on this topic, today and in the past, so I'd really like to have SOME kind of answer for why it happens - and hopefully something I can do to prevent it.

Thank you,

KO

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Description not showing for my item listing

@firewhitefire wrote:
I have 3 items listed. The descriptions show up fine for 2 of the 3. The third item is getting lots of looks and a considerable number of bids. Seems that buyers can see my 3rd item description, even though I can't, because no one is emailing me for more info.. I use the latest version of Firefox.

Hmm, I see three listing listed, two have one bid and the third has none. I do not see multiple bids.

When I look at your three listings, one has no visible description to me. I am using FireFox latest version. For listing 142546466169 Kenwood 241A I cannot see the description. For me it is a long long blank white space but does eventually end with the usual eBay listing page footer comments and links.. Apparently you have a simple HTML code error. Edit the listing, switch to HTML view, do to the very last HTML command and delete the closing DIV code which seems to be extra. The extra closing DIV is probably matching some open DIV in the eBay code closing an eBay DIV block early messing up the description making it invisible for some browser or versions of browsers.

But you have one bid on the above listing so you will not be able to edit and fix the listing. Since it is an auction, you may not get as many bids to drive up the price. I would suggest ending the auction, relist and fix the listing. Now I do not know the exact procedure for cancelling bids and ending an auction so I would sugegst that you wait for someone here to give the exact procedure. Ending auctions early can cause a seller issues as well as being charged final value fees even when cancelled.

eBay help page on cancelling an auction

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

@shipscript  Could you check the listing number above description code. I used your RAGTAG to examine the listing description code and it seemed to just have an extra closing DIV otherwise perfect.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Hey, Thanks a lot.  That's not the same listing that I can't see.  I can see it,  but not the one for the Icom radio.  How bizarre.  When did ebay get so messed up?  The other day, my photos kept coming and going without any apparent reason(s).

I'm going to look into your suggestions.  Thanks again

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@firewhitefire wrote:

Hey, Thanks a lot.  That's not the same listing that I can't see.  I can see it,  but not the one for the Icom radio.  How bizarre.  When did ebay get so messed up?  The other day, my photos kept coming and going without any apparent reason(s).

I'm going to look into your suggestions.  Thanks again

Sorry please disregard my post. I made some errors. I wrote 142546466169 Kenwood 241A and the listing number is 142546466169 for the Icom listing. I pasted the wrong title Kenwood 241A when it should have been Icom 2100H 2m mobile.

I just tried to replicate my checking of the listing code and I am getting no error with the last DIV. I suspect I copied the listing description incorrectly when I checked with shipscript's RAGTAG html checker.

Perhaps @shipscript  t will have time to take a look at your Icom listing as to why the description does not show up.

My apologies again.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

No problem.  I was at a Walmart and was able to access ebay via Firefox on one of their display computers.   Without logging in, my Icom radio description appeared fine.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@firewhitefire

@pocomocomputing

I don't see any obvious problems with listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-ham-radio/142546466169

The code is fairly simply, not very long, and does not include any of the styles that are typically the cause of disappearing descriptions.

Using the latest Firefox for XP, I do see the description and also see that eBay left the iframe window open at 10,000 px long, which means it timed out before it could resize the window back to the proper size.  The description is not causing that timeout, so mayber other page elements, like that forever-never-loading Q&A at the bottom is doing it.

Then I looked at

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-answering-machine/142544747923

That framed properly closed to 299px long and there is no Q&A at the bottom to spin relentlessly.

When I looked at

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-ham-radio/142543803391

it also loaded fully and closed properly, and it did not have the Q&A at the bottom either.

My guess is that the Q&A is malfunctioning and thus interfering with page loading.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Thanks!  I'm not sure what to do.   I'm getting the number of followers that I expected and  I expect that there  won't be a lot of bidding on the item until the last portion of the auction.   Perhaps the best thing to do is nothing until the auction ends and see if I come up short or not.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Different results on different browsers=browser issue

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Same results on Opera and IE. Haven't tried Chrome.
Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Good news. It just showed up on my visit to the item. Below the description was a huge white area followed by ratings and reviews, and the ever "spinning wheel" in the Questions and Answers section.

Of course when I tried again it didn't show up. -> ebay
Message 24 of 30
latest reply

This article helped shine some more light on the situation for me...

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing/browser-security-standards.html
Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Thanks for the link. That may be what my problem was.
Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Yea; adding the "s" to all my "http://" links in my listings code solved the issue of the description not being shown and the need for the user to click the button to see the desription in a new window...
So converting the "http://" to "https://" in your listings HTML code, should resolve this issue...

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@koakako wrote:

Hello,

Hopefully somebody has found a solution to this problem. I've seen it mentioned from time to time, and I've been searching for a solution for the past couple of hours, so I've seen lots of these cases on forums like this. However, I have yet to see somebody do something that works to solve the problem.

I put two listings up this morning. One of them shows the description just fine. The other doesn't show the description at all, and it's followed by 3 acres of white space before it gets to the Q&A at the bottom of the page. I've seen this happen before, but this time I'm actually going to post here and hopefully find a helpful suggestion. I have other listings to put up, but I'll wait until I can do something about this mysterious problem first.

I'm using Firefox, but I've seen posts where people say it happens in other browsers as well. (Maybe it's Firefox, maybe it's not. I don't know.) I've disabled adblock and antivirus. I've tried clearing the cache, the history, any offline data, hit the "reload tab" button so many times I'm virtually wearing it out... and so far nothing has worked. In desperation, I even revised the basic HTML of the description on the listing to be a table body instead of simple 'paragraph' text. That didn't work either.

And despite reading pages of forum posts regarding this issue over the past couple of years, I've never once heard an answer for why a listing would show 3 acres of blank white space - forcing one to scroll down for a long way to get to the bottom of the page. Even if the description shows up. Maybe that's a separate issue? Still, I'd really like to know why it does that and how to stop it.

In any case, the listing that appears fine is item number: 122729021564

The listing that's having this "no description" problem is item number: 122729050399

If anyone has any input on this whatsoever, please reply to this post. Preferably somebody from ebay's software or technical divisions, but any useful input on why some item listings do this would be very much appreciated.

As mentioned above, I've spent a countless number of hours searching on this topic, today and in the past, so I'd really like to have SOME kind of answer for why it happens - and hopefully something I can do to prevent it.

Thank you,

KO

This happens to me every single time I try to post a new listing. The only solution I found that works for me and it works every single time is simply post your HTML then click mobile Friendly Checker in the right-hand corner it normally find something wrong,  Etc. Simply Hit Fix and and then my description shows up perfectly. I can't explain why this works but it works for me every single time

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Hi @lookingtobuyitquick 

Just want to urge you to start a new thread on this subject. This thread is over 2 years old and those who post might be answering the original poster's entry and not yours. Your post is lost down here at the end of the thread. Also, the moderators will lock an old thread if they see it. Just want to see your issue receive the attention it deserves. Good luck and hope you find an answer.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply