cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delivery got forwarded and delayed, seems never will get delivered

Hello everyone, I really need your help on this issue:

I sold something on eBay and USPS picked up the package on 4/9/24.  On 4/10 tracking shows the package is forwarded, then after a few days it’s out for delivery.  Then it’s forwarded again and then it’s out for delivery again and so on.  It seems like the package is being forwarded, processed, and out for delivery multiple times and never ends…..Today is the 4/17 already, I still don’t know when the package will be delivered… I’ve been using eBay since 2007 and never had this experience…. Buyer hasn’t contacted me yet about the package delay but if she did, how should I handle this? Will the package be delivered eventually or returned to me?    Am I liable if it’s lost?   Thank you so much for your input!!  

IMG_9993.png

IMG_9994.png

IMG_9995.png

IMG_9996.png

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The first thing you should have done when you realized there was an issue was to go to USPS website and put a trace on the package.  That is the place to start.  Also make sure you sign up for email updates on the tracking number so you get an email every time there is an entry on the tracking.

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I had something strange happen with one of my packages recently. I went online and put a trace on it, and  then I also called the local post office in the Buyer's zip code and spoke to someone really helpful. It was sorted out within a day or two.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You might be liable if it gets lost, but i doubt it. Your job was to mail it within your time frame to the address on file with ebay. It is probably the buyer who is putting in forward requests. No one else could do that. Why does not matter. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If you look at the tracking, it does not appear that anyone is putting in Forward Requests.  USPS is just bouncing it around Illinois.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hi @kenbobo999 

You need to head this runaway package off at the pass. Reach out to your local Postmaster for an explanation of what is going on here. From where did the forwarding service request originate? (That may be an important bit of info to have.)

The rule of thumb on eBay is that the seller is liable for a timely delivery of the item, mailed within the seller’s stated handling time, and the package must reach its destination in an as described condition. What class of mail did the package travel under? What is the estimated delivery date?

But there is a wrinkle here. Per eBay rules, once an item is forwarded, it normally becomes ineligible tor eBay’s buyer protection in the Money Back Guarantee, see link below. However, a seller can still be held accountable if the buyer goes to their credit card company and does a chargeback.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

he item was sent to another address after original delivery

Covered:

Not covered:

• The buyer used third-party freight forwarding or mail redirection
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I’ve done that. Received a text msg whenever there’s an update.  Thank you!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Something similar like this happened to me as well, they tried forwarding it to a different address. It has not been updated since then and the buyer has not asked me to jump in. It is very odd - not to assume anything but the buyer was a brand new account with 0 feedback opened on the same day of purchase. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much for your feedback! It’s first class mail… maybe I need to stop by local postal office… should I contact buyer then? She hasn’t contacted me at all about is delayed package, which should arrive her by 4/15/24… the zip code on the shipping  label is 87111 but seems the package is still in Chicago area as of now…

Latest Update

Your item arrived at the Post Office at 5:15 am on April 17, 2024 in CHICAGO, IL 60634.

Get More Out of USPS Tracking:

Preparing for Delivery

Arrived at Post Office

CHICAGO, IL 60634 

April 17, 2024, 5:15 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

CHICAGO, IL 60634 

April 17, 2024, 4:40 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility

CHICAGO IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

April 17, 2024, 4:21 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

CHICAGO IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

April 17, 2024, 12:47 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility

ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

April 16, 2024, 11:31 pm

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@kenbobo999 wrote:

Yes, I’ve done that. Received a text msg whenever there’s an update.  Thank you!!

OK, you've done PART of it.  Signed up for the updates to the tracking.  Did you also do the other part I suggested.  File a Trace on the Package.  That is HUGELY important and will likely resolve your issue in the next 24-48 hours.

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/

Message 10 of 10
latest reply