cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding if buyer is legit

I recently sold a game console on here and I’m trying to decide if the buyer is legit. They have been a member for a few years and have like 19 feedback. I noticed all the items were purchased from large sellers with high feedback like 19000+ some up to 400,000+ and even some of those sellers seem like they wouldn’t be in the states. I’m worried they’re just buying cheap things with these other sellers and going for a larger ticket item. The address is a real one so maybe I’m just being paranoid? I’ve been selling on eBay for years and I can usually figure this out myself but I wanted to come here for help. Am I safe as long as I ship with insurance and signature?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It is always very good to be cautious and thorough, just don't get paranoid.  Ship on time if you buyer has paid.  Don't hold it up.  

If it is not something you sold for over $750, you aren't required to get a signature on deliver.  But if you want to for piece of mind, it can be money well spent.  However don't do it as a SURPRISE to your buyer.  Let them know you are doing that.  If they object, just let them know if they aren't home when the carrier comes to deliver, they will leave a pink notice giving them the option to come to the PO to pick up the item or select another date and they will come back to deliver it then. 

If you are shipping via another carrier other than USPS, check with that carrier to see how they handle the process.

As to insurance.  Check with the carrier to see how much is automatic with the method of shipment you will be using.  And then select the additional insurance that makes you feel comfortable.  Keep in mind insurance does not usually cover shipping costs, just up to the price the buyer paid for the product.

Good Luck.  We are here if you need us again or have further questions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If you ask me it sounds like you're being paranoid. There's no reason a buyer would have to pad their feedback before buying a large ticket item, ebay allows you to do that off the bat.

Honest question though, would you feel any differently towards this if the buyer didn't have this "sketchy feedback/purchase pattern" but rather had zero feedback and registered today?

I'll stress what @mam98031 said about signature confirmation and be careful with that. NEVER use it if the buyer has no knowledge of you doing so. Aside from it being required for protection for items $750 or more, some buyers are never home to sign off for it and they'll get peeved if they either see a notice or even have to go to their PO to sign and claim the package. It just adds more unnecessary complications.

And I'd hate to burst your bubble about insurance, depending on where you buy it from many insurance companies and departments are really bad at honoring their policies and accepting claims. They might do anything and everything they can to deny your claim and hoping you'll just give up.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply