cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged for parts only category

I was told this category exists.  Anyone know about it?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Damaged for parts only category

It is only certain categories.  For those categories without FP/NW, you can safely select Used, since those categories that only offer New and Used as selections do not state Used must also be fully functional.  In those cases, you can simply put For Parts or Not Working into the title, and then in the condition description box under Used, elaborate further.  Chances are, that should effectively get the listing treated as For Parts / Not Working; as long as you put nothing in the listing that may even remotely hint otherwise.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@professor-t

I have used it.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@professor-t

oops I should have said "for parts - not working"

Not sure about the "damaged" 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

For some reason I can't find the category when I'm doing a listing. Is it only available under certain categories or is there a stand alone category?
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I frequently use "Not Working of for Parts" for many of my listings.

My offerings are somewhat different - aircraft parts.  There are specific rules in the aircraft industry the don't apply to other categories.

Some seller say Used which at ebay means functional. Unless that aircraft part includes proper traceable paper work with history, hours and/or cycles

it can't be used on a commercial aircraft. Therefore it isn't functional out the box unless it can be inspected ad deem serviceable by a properly licensed technician.

If you sold a printed circuit board that you not have tested or aren't able to test to full functionality, you're best listing it for not working or for parts. Far to many seller are simply afraid to make that statement and pass it off as used. They will also say, check the pictures for condition.  That's supposed to absolve them of wrong doing while deflecting by laying the blame on the buyer when we know pictures can't show if the item isn't inop.

Used CD's won't always play on the buyers machine even when they worked on yours. The listing should include a disclaimer to that effect.

"There are Eight Million Stories in the Naked City".  eBay sellers and buyers have used most of them.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

It is only certain categories.  For those categories without FP/NW, you can safely select Used, since those categories that only offer New and Used as selections do not state Used must also be fully functional.  In those cases, you can simply put For Parts or Not Working into the title, and then in the condition description box under Used, elaborate further.  Chances are, that should effectively get the listing treated as For Parts / Not Working; as long as you put nothing in the listing that may even remotely hint otherwise.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@duggmills

Good lord, this 1947 Ercoupe is still not done.

I bid the job for 1500 bucks thinking a couple of weeks, that was last summer.

The place had no AN hardware, but all metric.

I request parts, they never get ordered, I am waiting on one bolt, one stinking bolt.

And don't even get me started on the paper work, that the owner can't find.

20 years this thing sat in a barn in pieces, If I never see another Error coupe I will be happy.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, I'll do that.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@professor-t

This category gets alot of sellers in trouble, ie laptops.

Say you have a laptop and the CD drive is bad, and USB #1 does not work.

Sellers will show it powered up, buyer makes claims that it is broken.

More often than not CS will just look at that one photo and side with the buyer.

I sold an aircraft insturment that I knew was working when removed 15 years ago.

But I had no way to test it now, and the cost to send it to a radio shop for testing, crazy price.

I get a sell, and I shoot out a message, to confirm the buyer knew the condition.

That way I at least had a message in ebay.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

$1500 to put in one bolt? Seems reasonable.
"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Well, one field in which I am selling is vintage knives, especially pocketknives. So I have three levels:

1. Everything intact - sold as fully usable

2. Blades and mechanism OK, but damaged or missing scales. Sold with the condition clearly noted in both text and photos.

3. Damaged or missing blades. Thos I will probably group and sell as "for parts only."

I keep far away from electronics as they tend to be buyer scam magnets.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@duggmills

@duggmillswrote:
$1500 to put in one bolt? Seems reasonable.

No it was 1500 bucks to do all the firewall forward stuff.

Make a new floor board, do all the interior, etc.

They had gutted the thing when they did the wing center spar repair.

Half of the airframe parts were at the other end of the state still in the barn.

The last bolt is what is holding the whole job from being completed.

They had stuck True Value hardware store bolts into everything, just to keep it all together.

They took the outer wings off, to get it into the paint booth.

They let Tommy the unpaid intern put the main spar bolts in, and he cross threaded one of them.

The bolt is on back order, Who knows when it will get here, it had the wrong dip stick.

And the list goes on and on.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@professor-t

I have an old Keen Kutter, I should find it, I hear they have value.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Day-ohm (Ebonics for golly gee) that's way too much work for 1500.

True value hardware? I call'em Butter Bolts if you need to bolt two sticks of butter together....
"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@duggmills

@duggmillswrote:
Day-ohm (Ebonics for golly gee) that's way too much work for 1500.

True value hardware? I call'em Butter Bolts if you need to bolt two sticks of butter together....

I just did a quick walk around, The plane looked good.

I should have spent a week doing inventory, and had them get all the parts first.

I have been out of aviation for about 15 years, and this was a way to get back in the door.

I have made good contacts, and chances at a real job are looking up.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply