cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer says item not delivered

The customer says it was not delivered even though tracking says it was. I have had this happen a couple of times in 20 years on Ebay. I have a bad feeling Ebay is going to make me refund the $40 because Ebay is not Pro Seller and never has been. What do I need to do to not lose my money? Contact USPS? Contact the Post Office that supposedly delivered it? Refund and file a claim with USPS?  I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You can open a case on the USPS website. In the message, specify that you'd like the tracking info down to the gps 'ping' where the package was delivered. You can load their results into an eBay case, if the buyer opens one.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@chrisg1716 wrote:

The customer says it was not delivered even though tracking says it was. I have had this happen a couple of times in 20 years on Ebay. I have a bad feeling Ebay is going to make me refund the $40 because Ebay is not Pro Seller and never has been. What do I need to do to not lose my money? Contact USPS? Contact the Post Office that supposedly delivered it? Refund and file a claim with USPS?  I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

If they opened an INR dispute, enter the tracking # into the dispute. One of the few chances on eBay for the seller to prevail.

Suggest to the buyer that they check with their local PO. They can use the delivery GPS info to determine where it was delivered. USPS will be more receptive to the customer asking about an item than the seller calling about it.

You have no "claim" to file with USPS for an item that shows delivered.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Unfortunately, if tracking shows the package was delivered you cannot file claim with USPS.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Inform the customer they would have to deal with USPS. USPS does have GPS where they scan item delivered. Inform the customer of that.  Tell the customer that if there is truly an issue then ask post office to change the delivery tracking status to cover them researching to acknowledge loss or misdelivery.

You should be covered as long as you have tracking delivered to the address confirm on paypal. Ebay and paypal offers seller protection with that. If customer want to file the claim then they can do that and all you need to do is add tracking or it might even do automatically . case close.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The seller has not opened a INR. I will ask her to check with her Post Office or neighbors but I am about 95% sure she is going to say it's not her responsibility. The woman contacted me the next day after she purchased one wanting to know where her package was.<no lie! Then she ordered the same item again the next day. I am concerned about my feedback but due to not being able to work at this time. I need the money more than I need the positive feedback.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Though, will the GPS show the pinpoint of where it was delivered? Due to the fact she lives in an apartment. Is there a link to seller protection when it comes to this?
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Here is the note that I send to a customer claiming a package has not arrived, though tracking says that it was delivered:

Hello,

I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating your shipment, and I know this is frustrating.  Let me try to help you locate it.

Your item was sent in [describe package] to the following address: [insert customer address]

If that address is correct, your first step is to check with other members of your household to see if they might have seen it.  Some neighborhoods and buildings have special package centers/boxes– if this applies to you, then you should check there.  If the package was left at a doorway, then check all entrances (including garages) to see if it could be located there – sometimes, a package will be near an entrance but on the ground.

If you still cannot locate it, your second step would be to check with neighbors to see if the package might have been misdelivered to them.   You might also check with your postal carrier to see if they remember delivering the package.

Hope that helps.

@chrisg1716 wrote:
Though, will the GPS show the pinpoint of where it was delivered?

Yes, some packages will have a GPS record of the drop off location, and you can go to your local postmaster and ask them to check if (a) your package had such a record, and (b) if the delivered scan is consistent with that address.  The GPS scan is fairly precise, but some carriers will park their van, scan packages at the van, and then carry them around to the houses ... so it may not be precise.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Do not make lots of contact with her. Explain she has to do this all with usps and if there is a problem then she can convince them to change the status on the delivery scan. I run into this occasionally and that is the best thing to do. You already did everything. If she has her mail stolen then she should file a police report. It is out of your hand. Trust me less contact is better and just tell her to follow ebay guideline if usps does change status acknowledging their mistake. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

The OP purchased tracking to avoid this situation.   

I've said before,     There comes a time when it is no longer the responsibility of the seller to hold the hand 

of his buyer and walk him slowly thru all the things the buyer can do to find his package.

Me:     "I have a USPS package that shows delivered and can't find it"

My wife:    Oh yeah,    "It,'s here and I forgot to tell you"

Now what could the seller do for me if I'd dinged him for my "Lost item" ?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

To close an INR when tracking shows delivered:

1. Go to the 'Help & Contact' link (should be in the upper left of your screen on desktop) and type in 'item not received'

2. Click the article titled 'help a buyer with item not received'

3. Sroll to the bottom to the 'contact us' sectionand click the link to email Ebay (phone support is gone during covid19)

4. Send a message requesting they close the INR. Include the item number, tracking number, and buyer username

They will close it in your favor within 24 hours. Any negative feedback left will be removed

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Post office and ebay know it was delivered. If in fact you shipped to customer. Always have a tracking number. never ship anything without one. Good Luck!

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

as long as the tracking says delivered, you will not have to refund the customer.

if she opens an INR case, all you'll have to do is answer it by uploading the tracking number and the case will be closed in your favor.

the best that can happen for her is for ebay to give her a 'courtesy' refund, if they choose to do so, but it won't come out of your pocket.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I have had this happen a few times, even back-to-back two days in a row on an occasion. Ebay will side with you, the seller, because the tracking shows as delivered. If they neg you, you can easily have Ebay remove it. I've had quite a bit of feedback removed during my tenure on Ebay. You do not have to contact your customer's USPS or anything like that. You have successfully done your part. It's up to them if they want to pursue this with their delivery service. So don't feel held hostage to any degree. This is a solid transaction as far as you are concerned.  Whenever they've opened INR cases, I immediately call Ebay and have the case closed, citing that tracking shows item as delivered. The customer can **bleep** and moan all they want but Ebay will side with the seller in this instance 100%.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Seriously, Ebay bleeped pee-I-es-es?!

Message 15 of 23
latest reply