cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer most likely a scam/scammer. Can I cancel Order?

Brand new account opened purchases a $80 item from me. The "item sold" email indicates they had 0 feedback. Looks like they now have 1 feedback from purchasing something else within the time it sold and now.

Upon googling their address I find a BBB website with 13 complaints saying that the street address (but different unit numbers) are a scam/fraudulant purchase forwarding address.

I would post the link, but I'm sure that isn't allowed since it is supposedly the building this person supposedly lives in.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Customer most likely a scam/scammer. Can I cancel Order?

@infinite_grim wrote:

What makes me scared about that, is I've heard hundreds of stories of buyers lying and saying the box was empty or something else was in the box and eBay always sides with them. I know this is much more common in expensive cell phone sales, but what would stop someone from doing it with $80 items too.

But none of that has anything to do with the shipping method in use, or whether a reshipper was involved. An empty-box or damage claim can be made regardless of exactly how it was delivered. Some high-risk items such as smartphones or laptops are simply not a good risk to sell here, other than perhaps for Local Pickup Only cash purchase.

If it's any consolation, I don't think a cologne sale, if that's what we're talking about here, is really a high-risk or high-scam category.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

True.

Is it also not deceptive of a buyer to use a ship forwarder to get around my "no internation sales" stance and settings on eBay?

Some items sold on eBay are ITAR controlled and shipping out of the US is against the law. This doesn't apply to my case, but could in others.... with these ship forwaders...

It is not deceptive and there is not an No International Sales block/requirement.  Restrictions can be for "Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to" and "Exclude shipping locations from your listings"

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@infinite_grim wrote:

Is it also not deceptive of a buyer to use a ship forwarder to get around my "no internation sales" stance and settings on eBay?

[...]

It is not deceptive and there is not an No International Sales block/requirement.

Ayup. It's a domestic sale for you, not an international; there's no "getting around" involved. What the buyer does with it after that is out of your control.

Keep in mind that you may have shipped to reshippers in the past and simply not noticed it. Even a private buyer might simply be a U.S. relative of someone overseas who will be receiving it later on. As long as you can prove delivery to the address you received with the payment, you're all done.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

A lot of things are coming into play here - a new buyer, the amt of purchases they've made, the fact they are international and using a ship forwarder.

Many of us have been here for years - we can tell you that you will find as many scammers who are other established sellers and buyers with hundreds and thousands of feedback. As a matter of fact - they are more experienced and know how to game the system.

I've nevr had a problem in 20 yrs with a person using a ship forwarder. As long as you ship the item to the Paypal address you are covered.

The fact that they have had BBB compliants - there is no business that doesn't have complaints because at some point in time every business, doctor, plumber - whatever - has had a customer they could not satisfy.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Is the address in Garden Grove?  If not, I have nothing else to advise.  If it is, then you will need some additional advice.  I think that is all I can safely say here (does the string of letters ACI appear as well?)

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

UPDATE:

Should have followed my gut. About to be out $90....

5 days after being delivered the buyer starts a paypal dispute saying they didn't authorize the purchase.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

UPDATE:

5 days after being delivered the buyer starts a paypal dispute saying they didn't authorize the purchase.

@infinite_grim   Oh my goodness.   I had a sick feeling in my stomach when I read your initial post.    I have to leave for the day but will be back later to read the rest of what has transpired after they opened the dispute.

When I return, would you mind if I PM you?    If not, it's OK.

Thanks.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Didn't authorize the purchase? What? Is the buyer claiming that somebody fraudently used his PayPal account to purchase the item? I was thinking that a SNAD would be the likely scenario.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

UPDATE:

All you have to do is show you shipped to the address in PayPal and you won't lose money.  If you call PayPal and show them this info your funds will likely be released immediately.  This is the easiest claim to win 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

UPDATE:

@infinite_grim

For "unauthorized use" claim all you need is "proof of mailing/shipping" to the PP "ship to" address that you used. (I hope you did:) The transaction in PP showing the address of the reshipper) and then you should call PP and ask to have the case closed/money restored to your account *now*

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

Not necessarily, no...

@infinite_grim wrote:

For Unauthorized Purchase disputes, you need only provide proof of shipping, not delivery. This should be closed out in your favor after you upload your tracking where indicated in the dispute console. Keep us informed, please...

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

UPDATE:

Calm yourself. Unauthorized disputes are slam dunks for the seller. You only have to have proof of SHIPPING to the Paypal address.

Copy and paste the tracking information into the dispute console, including the tracking number. Yes, I know it's already there, but enter it anyway. Submit it. The case will close in your favor in a few days. If you call Paypal after submitting your info, you can have the funds released while you're on the phone. 

I get a couple of these a year and they are easy to win. For an unauthorized dispute it doesn't matter where the buyer is or whether they used a reshipper or not. All you need is proof of shipping to the address on the Paypal transaction.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 27 of 27
latest reply