cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Criminals waiting 91 days after ebay purges all your seller info

I've been a seller on ebay since 2005. I had 4 Antique Vintage Oak Wood Corner Plaster Wall Wallpaper Protectors Guards for sale for $220. On Nov-04-20, I got a counter offer  of $195.00. I accepted her offer and shipped it to her address in Cincinnati OH 45252. They were delivered to her "Front Door" on 11/9/20. The buyer waited 3 months (91 days- just over the 90 days when ebay purges all traces of sold items) to file a claim with paypal that she never authorized this transaction. Paypal debited my account and started an investigation. It took me having to contact ebay by phone because they don't communicate through email to get all this info because it was purged after 90 days. Gmail also purges info after 90 days so I was really up a creek. I went to file an issue with the buyer through ebay and when I put the item number in, it came back as NO ITEM NUMBER FOUND. So, every problem you have after 90 days there is NO EBAY support. Come on Ebay, you should keep info for at least a year. You are encouraging criminals by giving them a free ticket to rob your sellers. And you really don't care after 90 days.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Criminals waiting 91 days after ebay purges all your seller info

Omg that is sick! Ebay should start being held responsible. Such a poorly ran business. So many problems. Not worth the time. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You don't need Ebay for this since it's a Paypal claim.

Reply back in the Paypal case with the tracking number and a copy and paste of the tracking information. That's all you need to do. The case will close out in your favor.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

No offense but eBay is not the issue.

Your buyer filed a dispute with PayPal, not with eBay. eBay's policies are not relevant; PayPal's policies apply. 

eBay did not refund your buyer, and you should not have needed any information from eBay to repond to the PayPal dispute.

Your tracking number - which still shows "delivered" on the USPS site - should have been sufficient to protect you from the PayPal dispute. 

Did you respond on PayPal to the PayPal dispute?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@935118 wrote:

I've been a seller on ebay since 2005. I had 4 Antique Vintage Oak Wood Corner Plaster Wall Wallpaper Protectors Guards for sale for $220. On Nov-04-20, I got a counter offer from pookie-daisy (Mary Vidourek) of $195.00. I accepted her offer and shipped it to her address in Cincinnati OH 45252. They were delivered to her "Front Door" on 11/9/20. Tracking number 9405508205497523269362. The buyer waited 3 months (91 days- just over the 90 days when ebay purges all traces of sold items) to file a claim with paypal that she never authorized this transaction. Paypal debited my account and started an investigation. It took me having to contact ebay by phone because they don't communicate through email to get all this info because it was purged after 90 days. Gmail also purges info after 90 days so I was really up a creek. I went to file an issue with the buyer through ebay and when I put the item number in, it came back as NO ITEM NUMBER FOUND. So, every problem you have after 90 days there is NO EBAY support. Come on Ebay, you should keep info for at least a year. You are encouraging criminals by giving them a free ticket to rob your sellers. And you really don't care after 90 days.

The other problem with all of this is it appears USPS etc may purge their tracking details after a certain time limit. Unless you keep hard copy records for all deliveries there will be limited protections for sellers.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I think Pay-Pal has a 180 day claim period. (I'm not sure). However, Ebay is trying to switch people over to using their own credit and debit cards, so if you are already on that program, IDK what you can do. Everything is new and confusing  again.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Gmail doesn't purge anything unless you tell it to.

I have 15 year old emails and gchat conversations in my account still.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Gmail also purges info after 90 days so I was really up a creek.

False!

The only way this can happen is if that is something you set in your Gmail settings.

My Gmail account is more than 10 years old and every message sent/received is there to see.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I remember how revolutionary it was when Gmail came out. Most people had Yahoo or Hotmail accounts where you were limited to something like 500MB of messages worth or something and then all of a sudden, you didn't have to delete ANYTHING EVER!

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

SORRY TO HEAR BUT YOU WILL GET VERY LITTLE HELP OR SUPPORT FROM EBAY ON THIS PROBLEM

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

get the police involved this is credit card fraud. get the postal service involved, her denying responsibility for the purchase is a crime. call her on it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:

I remember how revolutionary it was when Gmail came out. Most people had Yahoo or Hotmail accounts where you were limited to something like 500MB of messages worth or something and then all of a sudden, you didn't have to delete ANYTHING EVER!

I have piece of AOL email in my new mail folder from 2008. I only have it  saved for sentimental purposes. It still opens and everything. Good luck anything eBay that is older first off, getting to open or the alternative getting the dreaded "We looked everywhere message". Although sometimes if you creatively google something you listed years ago the item will turn up and will actually display.

-Lotz

Really old Gmail stuff is kinda hit or miss as to what may display or actually open.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply