cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counteroffers OFF as default when sending offers?

I  sell both auction and fixed price items.

Every now and then on my fixed price items, I can "send offer" to buyers that are interested in the item, which is great.

What's not great, though is always having to go in a level and uncheck "counteroffers: on" every time I do it.

I NEVER want counteroffers on..  is there a place where I can set it to OFF as DEFAULT?

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I asked this very same question awhile ago and there does not seem to be an option to change the default setting.  It is indeed a pain in the derriere that one must manually change it every freakin' time you send an offer and you don't want to deal with counter offers.  I would think a decent programmer could create a setting but I am not sure about the quality of programmers down in San Jose.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It has nothing to do with quality of programmers; it has to do with ebay wants you to sell it- if you are willing to send an offer, you are willing to 'negotiate', and that means 'counter offers'. It's counter productive from a selling platform to allow you to not allow counter offers- you're lucky there's a button to even do that. 

otherwise, there are watchers- just put it on 'sale' for 3 days, 5 days, whatever you are willing to sell for-  for all to see. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

As a Buyer, I do get offers from Sellers. Some of them I would take advantage of and buy. The problem is I usually never see them before they expire. I wished Sellers could add more hours if it was a slow-selling item.

Sometimes I will write back to the Seller and have them send me another one with the same price and some will. I NEVER ask for a further reduction though. Other items that I get an offer for I am only dreaming and would like to buy the widget but just don't have the money. I have 2 turkey platers on my watch list a copy of one given to me by my grandmother, that I lost somewhere...The lowest price is around $70.00 with shipping the other one was four times higher. The higher one offered me a 50% discount buy that was higher than the cheapest one. I did send her a letter back saying I was just dreaming.

From Sellers that have more than  1 of something, I will do second offers. I think Sellers that send them out are smart. sometimes I send a message back saying it was a pipe dream.

Sometimes I will do a best offer asking for 10% of and ask for cheaper shipping. It is a win-win for both of us that way. Usually, an offer like that gets accepted. Every Seller has different products with different things to help them Sell more items. Everyone uses what works best for them. 

It DOES GET VERY IRRITATING having to check things that eBay seems to think that I don't know what I want and changes the settings. That makes me nervous...and slows down listing when You have to constantly check and then have to change back to what YOU want, and make sure they don't change it back to the default. Very hard for new Sellers to even know what settings to use and be able to check.

😉 Sugar

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I turned counter offers 'off' in one of my offers and it has remained off since then. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

It has nothing to do with quality of programmers; it has to do with ebay wants you to sell it- if you are willing to send an offer, you are willing to 'negotiate', and that means 'counter offers'. It's counter productive from a selling platform to allow you to not allow counter offers- you're lucky there's a button

Balderdash.  The fact that I am wiling to make an offer does not in any way imply that I am willing to negotiate.  An item often sells at the current asking price after I extend an offer and it is rather seldom a reduced price offer is accepted.  I see no advantage in putting such an item "on sale".   I do however regularly review all my listed items and reduce the price on slow moving items.  So meanwhile myself and the OP must manually change the setting each and every time we extend an offer and that remains a pain in the derrière which would be an easy programming change of mostly copy and paste some code.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Wish that would happen for me.

I've literally sent 1000 offers, and every dang time I have to go through the 3-step process of turning that stupid "accept counteroffers" thing off   (yes, the original item has "accept offers" UNchecked)

It would be great if it would keep my last setting.

The "offer" I'm making is my BEST OFFER.  I don't want a bunch of cheapskates bugging me and making me reply to them.  If I wanted to go lower, my special offer would be lower.  Simple as that.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

Balderdash.  The fact that I am wiling to make an offer does not in any way imply that I am willing to negotiate. 

@m60driver 

Making an offer is negotiating. Why would you think you can make an offer but not a buyer. Just turn off offers if you don't want buyers to negotiate and leave it sit as a buy it now for as long as it takes.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't know why that's happening to you. Like Chapeau, my default seems to be that the counter-offer thing is unchecked. If I check it, it will show up on the next one I send, but if I uncheck it, it won't show up again unless I check it again.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The only time I have to turn it off is if I send the offers from the eBay app on my phone. On the website it remembers my last choice of having it off.  If I am checking things on the phone app and see I have offers I can send, I just open the desktop website on the phone web browser and handle it there.   I find the phone app to be no better than a dashboard for my account status. Not a serious business use.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It never seems to work out when you counter yourself in eBay.  I totally don’t recommend it.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Go try that at a retail store.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@robertgrahamfan 

3 year old dead thread!!  Doubtful the OP will reply or coolections. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply