cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corona Virus Price Gouging

eBay is working to remove these listings, but I was wondering why they can't just prevent the listings from being published.  I have been watching the numbers decrease, but new listings keep coming.  I just saw one for a 2 ounce hand sanitizer auction which had already gone to $510 before it got pulled.

Outrageous prices for Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol  $59.99 for two bottles that you can buy for a dollar.  It's cheaper now to go to the liquor store and buy a bottle of good Vodka.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Corona Virus Price Gouging

Report any and all listings you can. 

Why can't ebay stop the listings? That's the $64,000,000 question.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I'm kinda surprised they didn't just block the categories outright. Out of curiosity I started a draft for hand sanitizer with no issues. Immediately deleted it since I am not stupid. I find it interesting no warning text or obvious signs trying to stop the listing.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It's really odd people are buying up sanitizer but not hand soap which does a better job anyway.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Probably people are buying hand soap but there's so much out there and so many options, the impact isn't as noticeable.  Also, most households have soap supplies already but probably wouldn't have a significant amount of hand sanitizer.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

It's called, "Profiteering" 

Disgusting Maggots of the world use this sort of scare tactic to make an outrageous profit for their products. It's no different than when there's a natural disaster (Hurricane, Tornado, Earthquake....etc.) 

Coronavirus is just a flu. Yes it can kill; However, thousands of more people have died from what they call, the seasonal flu, in the U.S. alone this year than those who have died worldwide from Coronavirus.

Stop the panic syndrome and get on with your life! Don't buy products that are obviously, extremely over priced. It's probably a Maggot selling it!

P.S. A mask is designed to help limit a person with any respiratory virus from spreading their breath and nose droplets to others. It does very, very little to protect you (if any!)

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

Another P.S. that I forgot to mention........

At least you can drink the Vodka..... LOL...... Probably kill the Coronavirus too!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I just don't understand what the big deal is.  If you don't want to pay the stupid prices, don't buy.  If you are gullible enough that you think you need hand sanitizer at stupid prices, then you should be able to buy it.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

The problem is that half, yes half of the U.S. population is susceptible to being swindled for a variety of reasons I prefer to not state. It is crazy that someone is trying to sell toilet paper from Costco at triple the retail price plus over $100 shipping when you can buy it at twenty other stores. It is not out of stock.

People are being taken advantage of by these sellers who know how panic buying works.

The best thing ebay could do is freeze the accounts of the sellers on record of having attempted to take advantage.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Nice post btw.

There is one particular seller who listed a 3-pak of hand sanitizer at a reasonable price level so I ordered it. Ebay cancelled the order and refunded my purchase within a day, yet they allow the same seller to list toilet paper with over $100 shipping for six rolls.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ebay's concern about corona virus related product gouging is laughable, when you consider other examples of gouging on the site.

The other day I found some soundtrack record which was already grossly overpriced. The shipping for this to Canada (>not< through Ebay's Global Shipping Program) was in excess of $200.

I went to USPS.com, where it told me that the absolute maximum it would cost to ship this to Canada would be about half that amount. This is the kind of service where someone from USPS would fly to Canada and deliver it to your door the next day. 🙂

I brought this to the seller's attention, and his response was along the lines of "too bad, that's the way it is."

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

A-men!!
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

you and others have very backwards logic.

you believe actively infected people wearing a mask stops germs from getting out 

you dont believe a healthy person wearing a mask stops germs getting in

according to your logic the mask only works one way. air going out of it.

you know that makes no sense, it defies science and logic.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

The whole point of an infected person wearing the mask is to prevent the droplets from reaching someone else. IOW spraying the virus all over other people when they cough or sneeze.

They initially said there was no point for a healthy person to wear a mask but it seems they're now worried about those who may have it but are asymptomatic.

The respirator masks for medical use are obviously best worn by those attending to people they know are sick as they do prevent the virus reaching medical staff.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@mister-mike wrote:

Ebay's concern about corona virus related product gouging is laughable, when you consider other examples of gouging on the site.

The other day I found some soundtrack record which was already grossly overpriced. The shipping for this to Canada (>not< through Ebay's Global Shipping Program) was in excess of $200.

I went to USPS.com, where it told me that the absolute maximum it would cost to ship this to Canada would be about half that amount. This is the kind of service where someone from USPS would fly to Canada and deliver it to your door the next day. 🙂

I brought this to the seller's attention, and his response was along the lines of "too bad, that's the way it is."

Well I hope you didn't use the "price gouging' reason to report it.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply