cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about filing a claim for missing mail with USPS

I have refunded a rather confused buyer for his purchase that he claims wasn't in the parcel. Ebay tells me I can file a claim with USPS for the item but the Post Office site is more confusing that Ebays.

I believe they are saying I cannot file a claim on an item shipped by USPS Ground Advantage.

Fortunately it was an inexpensive item but I would like some clarity on how it works for the future.

Also, what was the note about USPS "having issues" for the last few days about?

thanks folks.

Toby

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Does the tracking show this item was delivered?  If it does, USPS will most likely not refund anything as it was scanned delivered.  You are not required to refund a buyer who package was stolen when there is a delivery confirmation.  Now if there is no delivery scan then you can file with USPS as soon as 15 days have passed since the original shipment date.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The time after shipment requirements differ from Ebays/

But when you wait long enough, you can file the claim and have it rejected due to improper packaging.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Does the tracking show this item was delivered?  If it does, USPS will most likely not refund anything as it was scanned delivered.  You are not required to refund a buyer who package was stolen when there is a delivery confirmation.  Now if there is no delivery scan then you can file with USPS as soon as 15 days have passed since the original shipment date.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Priority mail shipments have an automatic $100 of "insurance".

I don't think Ground has automatic insurance, you have to purchase it separately.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

USPS ground advantage does come with $100 in insurance from USPS. You would be filing a claim for damage in transit since the buyer is claiming not everything arrived. These tend to be difficult cases to win unless you have cooperation from the buyer. The buyer will need to retain the original packing and the items that were included. Generally if a package is damaged in transit, i.e. the packing is torn and there is a possibility that something may have fallen out, USPS will label the package as such when it is delivered. Otherwise it is a he said, she said situation and the case is difficult to win. 

You didn't provide a lot of information on which item it was or how it was packaged and shipped so not much to offer with regards to what was shipped or what the buyer says is missing. Information about filing USPS claims along with help files can be found in the USPS site. In cases where the whole package is lost and cannot be found USPS is pretty quick about setting those claims. For damage claims not so much and it can be a drawn out process. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Priority mail shipments have an automatic $100 of "insurance".

I don't think Ground has automatic insurance, you have to purchase it separately.

USPS Ground Advantage™

dbfolks166mt_0-1698785237126.png

Message 6 of 6
latest reply