cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance Active Content removal / Setting CSS

Thanks to all of you that are very helpful to many of us.
I have to start saying that I am a dummy and I am facing very low sales lately and I believe is due to all the changes that pretty soon will affect -for good or bad- to all of us.
I found that all my listings are not in compliance with the new "active content" ban.
It was hard for me to figure out what active content means and selected one listing and started "revising" and deleting links. (I found that those links provided by eBay last year, are affecting me now:
= = =
"Check out my other items!"
"Be sure to add me to your favorites list!"
"My Stores Logo"
= = =
I used the "delete links" under revising and testing the listing in the mobile-friendliness Test tool: "i-ways digital values".
When the font size didn't pass the test I found that the 18 size was the smaller approved.
When the meta viewport didn't work I found the formula:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

= = =
It seems that now descriptions it have to be extremely plain.
But it is not enough. Testing my revised listing it didn't still pass the test because:
1):

Content width

Content width is wider than viewport width ▾
Viewport width: 320 px, Content width: 996 px
Do not use large fixed width elements.
Content should not rely on a particular viewport width to render well.
Use CSS media queries to apply different styling for small and large screens.
- See more at: http://www.i-ways.net/mobile-friendly/en-us/result/272590297240/EBAY-US#sthash.lJTfH66O.dpuf
= = =
and 2:

CSS media queries

CSS media queries were not found on this page ▾
Apply media queries based on viewport size
Media queries enable us to create a responsive experience, where specific styles are applied to small screens, large screens and anywhere in between. The media query syntax allows for the creation of rules that can be applied depending on device characteristics.

@media (query) {
/* CSS Rules used when query matches */
}
- See more at: http://www.i-ways.net/mobile-friendly/en-us/result/272590297240/EBAY-US#sthash.lJTfH66O.dpuf
= = =
I also wonder if the frames/templates provided by eBay last year to make the description more attractive will also affect my listings (?). I am referring to those with the legend: "Sale-Price slashed-Clearance-Super sale" and more as on my listing: Item ID: 272573017378.

I couldn't delete those frames/templates.
= = =
To finish I just need help with "how to set-up" or activate a CSS media queries (?).
Please understand me and have patient since I am not really very smart with all the terms and have no idea what I am talking about. I need simply help with somtething like: "copy this" paste it on - - -" if possible.
Why ebay have not created a procedure to eliminate all this burden, with something like they provided when recommended to list Free Shipping and we just click on "remove recomendations".
I have now about 900 listings and seem like I have to void all of them and start over with listings simples and ugly, but looks like this it won't be enough to sell here.
Why the inventors of the phones didn't create a way for the phones to adapt to existing established structures and we have not to change the existing system to adapt to the phones?
Thanks in advance and peace!!!!

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
***Herman Melville***
= = = =

Rejoice always!!!
1 Thes 5:16
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Compliance Active Content removal / Setting CSS

Dear Shipscript:
I really appreciate all your time and the information provided.
Very Helpful.
It is going to take me a lot of time.
Thinking in starting all over again, clean and plain. (ufffff!!! 900 listings......)
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxmawi
***Herman Melville***
= = = =

Rejoice always!!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@maxmawi

I reviewed your referenced item http://ebay.com/itm/272573017378 and if your other items differ by much, there may be other issues to address.

1) eBay's Listing Designer frame will not be a problem. The frame graphics exist outside of your description.

2) The "share_your_items" script from 3dsellers.com near the top of all you listings will need to be removed. Find it with this tool:

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm

3) One of the images that prevents your template from being mobile friendly is the PowerSeller/TopRatedSeller graphic. Since eBay does not allow using that designation inside the description, that graphic should be removed.

4) Additionally, and this is a big one, with your graphics embedded in the description as base64 encoding, the character count in your listing is almost at the 500,000 character limit that eBay allows for a description. That will make it hard to add compensating codes.  If your graphics were saved in a different format, the code would probably shrink to half.

Most nicely formatted listings, with a few external image tags and some pleasing formatting and structure, will not exceed about 10K to 20K characters without the images. So you can see that 500K is a HUGE number.

To put this in perspective, this fully loaded template with every kind of widget and candy fluff is still only 68K characters (photos are external).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381975690938

However, on the plus side for embedding base64 images, the graphics will load with the template instead of waiting for an external server to respond, but this should only be used for lightweight graphics.

5) At the bottom of your code, contributing to the load, are 35,000 characters of OfficeDocumentSettings that have nothing to do with the listing. That content should be removed as a courtesy to visitors.

6) Without knowing what other graphics you might have, this is a somewhat generic set of media queries to shrink your images on narrow devices. It would normally be added below other stylesheets, but you should be able to add it to the top or bottom of your listing:

<style>
@media(max-width:920px){img{max-width:800px;}}
@media(max-width:800px){img{max-width:600px;}}
@media(max-width:600px){img{max-width:480px;}}
@media(max-width:480px){img{max-width:300px;}}
</style>

7) These two tools are designed to locate your listings with issues and to assist in manually correcting them.  I used them in evaluating your listing.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentSandbox.htm

A third tool, coming soon, will provide a mechanism for bulk updating the changes. Because of the size of your codes, you may not be able to use eBay's bulk editing tool.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Dear Shipscript:
I really appreciate all your time and the information provided.
Very Helpful.
It is going to take me a lot of time.
Thinking in starting all over again, clean and plain. (ufffff!!! 900 listings......)
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxmawi
***Herman Melville***
= = = =

Rejoice always!!!
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

shipscript, you have just made my life sooooooo much simpler.  I have been trying to figure this out for weeks.  I even contacted customer service 3 times to get an understanding.  I did what I was advised to do previously to my 600 listings (one by one) only to findout that it hadn't worked.  It took almost 3 days.  I just tried your instructions and low and behold success!!! It might take me another 3 days but I'm on my way headed in the right direction.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!   

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The bulk scanner is the bomb, I didn't have to go thru all 600 listings. It showed me the exact ones that needed to be corrected (which was 106) and it gave a link to each one to fix the problem!!! Didn't take as long as I thought it would. Thanks again. P.S. is there a separate bulk link where I can check to see if all my listings are mobile friendly as well?
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Question where do we find this bulk scanner. 

It all looks very confusing to me anyway. 

Is it in the sellers tools.

Thanks

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@passion4design

The bulk scanner is here, and it shows that all 26 of your items need to be repaired.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

After you run the scan, click the EXAMINE button on each colored row to open the Sandbox tool. On the Sandbox tool, scroll down to the "Filtered" tab where you can copy the repaired code and paste it into the HTML tab of eBay's description editor. There are some screenshots below the Filtered tab to help you understand.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@shipscript All of our listings come up as

Targets Only If only link target issues are found in the item, the row will turn yellow. Links that are missing target="_blank", or that supply a different target, will trigger the flag.

This appears to mean that we don't need to make any changes. Am I misinterpreting this???

Thank you!

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@memorygiants

The bulk scanner is finding link Targets that have a problem and is coloring them. How you deal with it is up to you, but I recommend repair.

I'll explain:

Links that do not open in a new blank page, that don't "target a blank" page, will try to open in the same page, which happens to be inside the description.  For many years, eBay had solved this problem by adding a script to the bottom of every item description to make all links open in a new page.  eBay was temporarily adding the target="_blank" attribute for us by using a script.

When eBay applies Active Content sandboxing to all of our listings, eBay will no longer be able to add that fix-it script just like we will no longer be able to use scripts. So eBay asks that we manually fix all of our links.

Now here is the issue:

When sandboxing is applied to our listings, the Active Content rules will still allow links to open, but if they open inside the description, the new page is going to be shoehorned into that smaller description area. Additionally, if the new page contains any scripts, then sandboxing will block those scripts. Thus, pages that try to open inside the description are going to fail to appear, or aren't going to function correctly.

In my experimentation with my Firefox browser, I found that opening a link to my other items inside the description would cause the description to go blank with no way to gracefully recover. The browser back arrow took me back to the search page.

This is an unhappy situation for both buyer and seller.

So, if the links point to your eBay store or other items for sale, then absolutely fix them. If the links are credit links to some third-party widget and you think they are too much trouble to fix, then you can probably ignore them because few people click those credit links.

More than you wanted to know, I presume, but sometimes knowing the WHY will help to make better decisions.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for the link.

but It looks like I still have active content.

Maybe Im not doing it right. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@passion4design

When you run the scan and then click the EXAMINE button on each, the Sandbox tool will open. That tool will generate repaired code that you can paste back into your item description when you revise your item. I suspect there is some misunderstanding at that part: either not understanding that the listing must be manually revised, or not picking up the corrected code.

So, when the Sandbox tool opens, scroll down and click the "Filtered" tab. When it opens you will see your repaired listing code displayed in that window.  At the bottom left of that tab you will see a button to open your item for revision.

When you click that button and eBay's listing form opens, select the HTML tab or HTML view on eBay's editor and delete all the code there. Then copy the code from the Sandbox tool and paste it into the empty eBay HTML box. When you switch back to eBay's standard editing tab, you will see the corrected code and can clean up any left over credits. Then save your listing revision.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thank you.

will try it again. Maybe this time I will get it right. 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Ok,  I was able to do it. I just needed someone to hold my hand and quide me through all this. 

Thank you again..

Jessica

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Just to let you know I am siting in the same boat as you and mine is sinking. Sales are down 70% and in 16 years I never saw anything like it.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Hi 

CSS media queries were not found on this page   

Apply media queries based on viewport size

Message 15 of 25
latest reply