cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectors who constantly rip off sellers.

I am so sick of these Collectors who email you before purchasing an item and ask you about the condition of an item and when you check it its fine but as soon as they receive it they file for a item not as describe for a  refund ..  it seems like every time one of these buyers emails me to check on a cd condition before they buy it .  this happens. its always on cheap cds that cost more to ship then the disc is worth so you end up having to give a refund since it cost too much to return the item...

What is wrong with these buyers?  this always seems to happen on a day where you sales are really bad and then that refund ends up costing half your days sales. . just venting

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Collectors who constantly rip off sellers.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Sell 10 at $5.00  you make $50 or sell 100 at 50¢ you make the same.

Nope.

List 10 at $5.00 and you spend perhaps an hour (?) listing.

Here in BC, at minimum wage that would be $10.25 in costs to reduce the $50 to $39.75.

List 100 at $0.50 and you spend about 10 hours listing.

Here in BC, at minimum wage that would be $102.50 in costs to reduce the $50 to a loss of $52.50.

Not to mention the labour in packaging 10 items vs 100 items.

And all the unsaleable CDs you tossed or donated after purchase.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Actually, the income would be the same.  If you have a gross of a particular item and you manage to sell 10 units of the item for $5 each your revenue would be $50.  If, however, you managed to sell 100 units of it for 50¢ each the revenue would be the same.  Although you profit might not be as high depending on your other cost factors.

Of course, I would probably list such things as multiple item listings, with only one listing being posted for each price point.  Why would you want to list 10 or 100 of the same thing separately?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 46 of 49
latest reply

I have a huge collection of digital music, but occasionally I want the physical CD. For one thing, the sound quality is much better than mp3. Also, some CDs are rare and collectible. As for DVDs, they often have content that can't be found elsewhere.

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

If buyers need their hand held before the transaction, they are going to be trouble after.

And I always love the buyers (and occasional posters) who seem to think that if the buyer doesn't believe the listing that says that the item is in good condition with a little wear - that if they send the seller a question about the condition, if the seller is lying, they will suddenly confess and tell them that the item is junk.  D'uh, if they are exaggerating in the listing, they will continue to do so to get the item sold.

And people wonder why i block buyers that ask questions that are looking for reassurance about everything that is already in the listing.

I would imagine that what You are saying is true for your listings. I see You and many others the are regular posters on this board  KNOW how to put in a listing. I Do see many problems with listings I LOOK at. 

1. Selling "fake items" as real antiques/collectibles.
  2. Using the Names silver/gold that is only an alloy. 
  3. Showing a Listing with More than One item and only Selling One.
  4. The "new" style Sellers with listings that don't fill in anything on the item specifics and say something vague in the description like "please look at the pictures" and/or the pictures are dark and hard to see.
  5. The Sellers who don't put sizes in the listing, the picture looks like a normal size and end up being a miniature copy.
  6. Books with no description, a generic photo,  and a condition that is easy classed better than it is.
  7. The Sellers who "Hide" things in their listing by making the photo with the flaw too small to see or "NOT" showing the flaw.We also have to consider the down and out LIAR sellers who Lie in their listings, and of course, they are the ones "Gaming the system for "bad" reasons. (which every Seller NEEDS to Know how the system works, but only for "good reasons".) 
  8. The Sellers who don't know how to Ship cheaply and Use the high priced for a widget that can be shipped cheaper. 
  9. The Seller who shorts orders. 

I have been surprised about some of the purchases I have bought. I would admit that sometimes it is due to a mistake on "not reading the listing very well", but many times I go back and look at the listing and see that "My disappointment" is Not even discussed in the description, and realize I should have asked more questions. 

What do I do? as a Buyer most often I just "let it shine on" don't leave any feedback for the Seller and move on...Karma is a "B..CH. Some people Who have had buying experiences that have not worked out and something broke in shipment, Might ask more questions.

Today My Mother was discussing Fabric for a quilt back she'd ordered on eBay. She was shorted 5 inches. she had had it in her stash fo a few months before she started working on that quilt. She "never" thought to measure it when purchased. Now she is trying to figure out how to Shorten the top to make the back fit:(.

Since they are measured by Machine I imagine the Seller did not do it on purpose. As a buyer of large yardage on Material, my question would be I am using this as a quilt bottom  could You please measure it by hand for me to double check the measurements. Then Your last statement would be that You'd block this Buyer from buying and they are only asking because of a previous  "bad" experience. 

Good Sellers know how to discern between the "good buyers" and the "problematic  Buyers" who thinks the world owes them a living. The problem I see is that eBay is moving to a "new base" of Sellers who think that "NO Contact" is best for an eBay business to succeed. I personally think that a Good Seller likes to write and let their personality for people shine through. As a Buyer, I go back to stores that have given me Outstanding Service. I leave glowing feedback for the Seller who does a good Job. Many times I don't have to write them about anything because everything I need to know is listed. 

I know someone who works in a parking lot at the center of a financial district.  Her customers drive the most exclusive cars driven, have custom suits and dresses and have degrees at some of the best institutions in the USA. I laugh because when I am talking on the phone with her and she puts the phone down to take care of a parker, every other parker is stupid, an idiot, brain dead, etc. She is right...when she tells me why most of the time the the parkers can not understand basic parking lot signs!

So, yes People are stupid...You can run a BANK but can't read basic signs...Saying that I think a good procedure is to look at the feedback they leave for others, see if they have a bid on any of your other BBL them if they have a history of leaving negatives or neutrals, and answer/ignore their question.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

I have been selling books for years and just in the last two months I have had three "collectors" say that the items are not in proper condition. I have had this problem maybe once every two to three years before this. Note they did not open cases. They just requested refunds. The items where all described as Very Good Condition. So NOT in collectable condition. Did they not read the description? I asked them to return the items and I would refund their money. I have not heard back from two of them. The third just happened today. It seems to be a sign of a the times.

Message 49 of 49
latest reply