cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
How convenient there's no weakly chat this week (and yes wekow it's only becausegriff has jury duty etc etc and after all there's onlyjeff &griff to host the chats these days).

Just FYI that our scheduling conflicts have been resolved, so we will be having the Weekly Chat this week as originally planned. The link to this week's chat is http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

I bet I can guess what 95% of the posts will be about .......

"We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

I'm a buyer.

Maybe I'm 'small potatoes' compared to some, but I think 650 purchases spread over 12 years indicates I know what I'm doing and I know what I like. I don't sell, this is entirely a one-sided view. Since the quote cited above expresses particular interest in the 'buying experience,' I'll give you mine.

Dear Ebay:

I do NOT use a mobile phone for ebay auctions. You know why? Because the screens are too small and I can't see the detailed item description. So why would you take the most annoying feature of the mobile platform and force it on those of us who have already declined to use the mobile platform...?

I PREFER the larger screen available on a laptop or large tablet, complete with the full, DETAILED listing that reputable sellers thoughtfully provide. You know why? Because that's the closest I can get to the experience of being in a brick-and-morter store. Many sellers go the extra mile to give full descriptions, describe damage or wear-and-tear, give exact specifications, measurements, brand name or whatever, plus photos from multiple angles. Those are the sellers I trust.

Now.... What has this new "improvement" (Note the SARCASM) done to 'improve my experience as a buyer?'

1) Before I realized I was forced into a Beta-test situation without my knowledge or consent, it caused me to erroneously click away from several jewelry listings by new-to-me sellers, because I thought they were too lazy to put up the full description. (Many sellers are, and I avoid them.)

--> No shopping means no possible "buying experience" at all.

2) Once I went to a power seller whose listings I check twice/weekly and whom I know to be very honest and dependable, and I noticed his detailed listings were missing ... then I experienced CONFUSION and distress (because I thought he'd stopped doing the detailed listings).

--> Does being confused and distressed sound like an "improvement" to my buying experience?

3) Finally I recognized there is a blue hyperlink poorly located to the left side of the page instructing me to take the extra step of clicking to see what was previously available. This is ANNOYING, having to take an extra step that wasn't there before.

--> Now you have an annoyed buyer. Is this an "improvement" of said buyer's experience?

4) I clicked to open a pop-up and discovered the window itself is about 50% smaller, which is bad enough. It's wider than it is high, which forces me to begin scrolling (and that's even more IRRITATING). But wait, it gets better. (Which is to say, worse.) The top 50% of the already reduced-in-size pop-up window is filled up with a useless banner telling me the name of the seller's store. Now I'm just plain **bleep** because you're treating me like I'm an idiot who doesn't know whose store I've entered.

--> Now you've succeeded in irritating and pissing off a buyer as with your effort to "improve the buying experience."

5) The information I need, when making a decision whether or not to commit my money for a bid, is further obscurred in a tiny, impractical window that forces me to scroll line-by-line. I can't get a sense of anything, I can't see the pictures. I DECIDE NOT TO BUY.

--> You lost a sale. Is that the "improved experience" you were looking for? My wallet thanks you. (The seller probably doesn't.)

This was Friday, the 13th.

6) Today, Tuesday the 17th, it's five days later. I went through my favorite seller's listings again, once again forced to keep clicking, scrolling, squinting and struggling to make sense of the teeny tiny window you've shoved down my throat. Now I'm freaking ENRAGED.

--> Well there you go, you've "improved" my experience to the point of fury. You really think a furious buyer is going to spend money?

7) Let me repeat in loud words so you understand my perspective as a BUYER:

I USE A LAPTOP FOR A REASON!  That reason is, I WANT TO SEE WHAT I'M BUYING.

For all those honest sellers who go to the trouble of making complete, detailed listings, I thank you for your efforts. Unfortunately, unless ebay stops this idiocy immediately, I won't be buying. I don't have the patience to go through this **bleep** over and over.

To recap:

Missed sales opportunity

Confusion, distress

Annoyed

Irritated and insulted

Decide not to buy

Continued frustration building to fury

A decision to buy elsewhere from now on

=Permanently lost buyer

There, ebay, is feedback from a BUYER'S perspective. Thanks to this 'test,' my "buying experience" has been terrible to the point of increasing my blood pressure and making me refrain from buying anything. If this "improvement" is permanent, so will my absense be.

Signed,

A very **bleep** off BUYER.

Message 632 of 1,018
latest reply

@thebaglady-2016 wrote:

Have you all noticed how many international sellers are now listing items as New, but then saying in the description that they are gently used or preowned?  Perhaps that would cause more SNADS, that again, are not covered by teh ebay MBG.  Wonder what would happen if that was us?  

We would be toast, dropping the bread crumbs straight to the chinese sellers.

Usually I like to see foreign listings for antique toys(like from Germany), but with the influx of "vintage" (2015) chinese toys in the incorrect catgory of antique/vintage toys, I now have to click on US only.

BRAVO!

Message 634 of 1,018
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
How convenient there's no weakly chat this week (and yes wekow it's only becausegriff has jury duty etc etc and after all there's onlyjeff &griff to host the chats these days).

Just FYI that our scheduling conflicts have been resolved, so we will be having the Weekly Chat this week as originally planned. The link to this week's chat is http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

I bet I can guess what 95% of the posts will be about .......

And the answer will be exactly what is typed here, and nothing but, and when pushed, will be "Call CS".  And then we will be out of time.  So glad I think I'll be working.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 635 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

This is good news... at least you know one of the topics you'll be confronted withSmiley Wink

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 636 of 1,018
latest reply

"To recap:

Missed sales opportunity

Confusion, distress

Annoyed

Irritated and insulted

Decide not to buy

Continued frustration building to fury

A decision to buy elsewhere from now on

=Permanently lost buyer"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you jcailte, for that very thorough, honest and detailed perspective.  We appreciate you, even if Ebay doesn't! 

Message 637 of 1,018
latest reply

We asked Moore how many visitors were involved in the test and for the reasoning behind making shoppers have to click a button to read the description. He said it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience, and he referred us to a post written by eBay Director of Community Jeff Terrell on Thursday.

Terrell was responding to six pages of concerns from sellers displeased that buyers couldn't see the details they had so carefully provided in their listings: "We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

His response didn't change some sellers' minds about the new "buyer experience." Terrell went back into the thread and answered questions from sellers. He promised eBay would remove any negative feedback left for a seller that eBay identifies as resulting from the test.

And, he said, "We'll test until we can get some statistically significant results. With our sampling rate, that should take less than two weeks.

------------------------------------

Question for Jeff:  Are you happy that your posts were quoted and used by Ryan Moore whose job it is to speak for ebay, or do you think you just got thrown under the bus?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 638 of 1,018
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

We asked Moore how many visitors were involved in the test and for the reasoning behind making shoppers have to click a button to read the description. He said it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience, and he referred us to a post written by eBay Director of Community Jeff Terrell on Thursday.

Terrell was responding to six pages of concerns from sellers displeased that buyers couldn't see the details they had so carefully provided in their listings: "We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

His response didn't change some sellers' minds about the new "buyer experience." Terrell went back into the thread and answered questions from sellers. He promised eBay would remove any negative feedback left for a seller that eBay identifies as resulting from the test.

And, he said, "We'll test until we can get some statistically significant results. With our sampling rate, that should take less than two weeks.

Question for Jeff:  Are you happy that your posts were quoted and used by Ryan Moore whose job it is to speak for ebay, or do you think you just got thrown under the bus?

Ryan and I have been colleagues and friends for several years. We're both saying the same thing, so why would that make either of us unhappy?

Message 639 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff why are you here? in this thread, lending virtually nothing, while completely ignoring others that could use some answers?  Not trying to be mean at all, just wondering why so much time is spent debating something that jeff obviously can't shed any light on, yet threads that could use some advice or direction are totally ignored.  Like the guy that has a buyer that uses a PO with a different zip than his buyer's address, has someone pick up his mail, and then opens INR's claiming item delivered to a different zip.

Why not lend your help to someone that needs it?  

Message 640 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

Ryan and I have been colleagues and friends for several years. We're both saying the same thing, so why would that make either of us unhappy?

I didn't ask if he was unhappy.  Instead of answering the question, which is his job, he replied with your words.  If I were in your position, that would make me a little uneasy.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 641 of 1,018
latest reply

@thebaglady-2016 wrote:

Jeff why are you here? in this thread, lending virtually nothing, while completely ignoring others that could use some answers?  Not trying to be mean at all, just wondering why so much time is spent debating something that jeff obviously can't shed any light on, yet threads that could use some advice or direction are totally ignored.  Like the guy that has a buyer that uses a PO with a different zip than his buyer's address, has someone pick up his mail, and then opens INR's claiming item delivered to a different zip.

Why not lend your help to someone that needs it?  

I'm reading and responding to several boards simultaneously. If someone has a question that they want me to answer, I'm pretty easy to reach.

Message 642 of 1,018
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

I didn't ask if he was unhappy.  Instead of answering the question, which is his job, he replied with your words.  If I were in your position, that would make me a little uneasy.

It doesn't bother me at all, especially since Ryan and I are essentially saying the same thing.

Message 643 of 1,018
latest reply

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Package-delivered-to-wrong-zip-code-how-do-I-avoid-a-defect/m-p...

is the thread I am referring to. This is a very interesting what could a beautiful scam.  The buyer has his mail delivered to a PO, where someone picks it up, at one zip, while his address is actually in another, which gets printed on the ebay label per payment instructions, and when seller ships, the item shows delivered to a different zip than the one submitted with payment.  It's perfect if the PO doesn't blow you in.  It needs to be addressed. 

Message 644 of 1,018
latest reply

@thebaglady-2016 wrote:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Package-delivered-to-wrong-zip-code-how-do-I-avoid-a-defect/m-p...

is the thread I am referring to. This is a very interesting what could a beautiful scam.  The buyer has his mail delivered to a PO, where someone picks it up, at one zip, while his address is actually in another, which gets printed on the ebay label per payment instructions, and when seller ships, the item shows delivered to a different zip than the one submitted with payment.  It's perfect if the PO doesn't blow you in.  It needs to be addressed. 

As long as the seller shipped to the buyer's address of record on their eBay account, the seller is protected. Post #5 on that thread seems to have answered the question.

Message 645 of 1,018
latest reply