cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Adding (and not just because I'm grumpy from just returning from 80 degrees in Florida to cold and snow in  Ohio, LOL):  I have a sick feeling that Ebay is going to ignore the "tell us what you think" comments and come out and say that the test was a resounding success and that the majority of buyers liked it.  That's just how much I trust Ebay anymore.  I don't trust them to be truthful.  I believe that they'll lie.  Sad, really.

Cheryl
Message 946 of 1,018
latest reply

I haven't had this problem since I deleted all eBay cookies. I actually think this is an attempt at finding ways to increae their fees. If you are dependent on their pictures again, then if they decide to start charging for pictures again, they would have another way to get revenue. They are going to try any way they can to drive that bottom line. It has nothing to do with the buyer experience or "helping" sellers. Just like the new free listings change in May. It is NEVER about the buying and selling community. It is ALWAYS about feeding the company.

Message 947 of 1,018
latest reply

This layout is horrible.  Who the heck wants to click 4 times or more to make a purchase?  What a PITA if they want to buy more than one item!  All my listings have the click to see full description button.  At least customers can see my pictures since I inbed them from a host server.  I've thought sales were poor for a while now.  Now I know why.  This didn't show up for me until I ran my CC Cleaner and wiped my history.  When I called and talked to an ebay rep, he had no clue, everything looked normal to him.  Everyone needs to tell ebay this idea stinks on ice, buyers and sellers both!

Message 948 of 1,018
latest reply

At WORST, give sellers a way to choose if their listings work like this.

At BEST, get rid of it right now.

Message 949 of 1,018
latest reply

@kcskorner wrote:

So much for the "test" lasting two weeks.  How long has it been now?  A month or more?

This thread was started on 2/11, so just under 8 weeks. In the weekly chat last week Jeff said they added a couple more weeks to it. Of course he's said that at least two other times.

IOW ...the never ending test. frown.gif

Message 950 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

@kcskorner wrote:

So much for the "test" lasting two weeks.  How long has it been now?  A month or more?

This thread was started on 2/11, so just under 8 weeks. In the weekly chat last week Jeff said they added a couple more weeks to it. Of course he's said that at least two other times.

IOW ...the never ending test. frown.gif

I wish they would just pull off the bandaid and get it over with!!

Message 951 of 1,018
latest reply

Did anyone ask about the "Test" in today's weakly chat??

Message 952 of 1,018
latest reply

Not impressed...

Message 953 of 1,018
latest reply

@wendybac wrote:

Did anyone ask about the "Test" in today's weakly chat??

I don't think so - it may be that sellers are mentally exhausted from asking the same question time and time again !

It's really looking like this "TEST" - which just about every seller HATES - may be here to stay ?

I hope I'm wrong !

Mike.

Message 954 of 1,018
latest reply

Why bother? I can answer it FOR them.....

"the team says they are still testing variations at this time"

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 955 of 1,018
latest reply

In one of the questions today about a problem with search Griff mentioned that ebay is moving away from being able to search within the description and just using the title and item specifics. Maybe descriptions are going away completely!?
Message 956 of 1,018
latest reply

It wouldn't surrpise me. After all NIB or china junk stuff doesn't NEED a description as such whereas used collectibles/antiques/vintage items certainly DO.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 957 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:
In one of the questions today about a problem with search Griff mentioned that ebay is moving away from being able to search within the description and just using the title and item specifics. Maybe descriptions are going away completely!?

Perhaps - maybe in an attempt to make eBay more codified like Amazon ?

But eBay will NEVER COMPETE WITH AMAZON for obvious reasons:

1. Amazon has a totally different business model - where for about 50% of sales (ie. Amazon itself rather than their "Marketplace") they HOLD STOCK and SHIP QUICKLY from their OWN WAREHOUSES. 

2. Even if eBay were to try and follow this business model the infrastructure investment required (warehouses, stock, staff, procedures, logistics) would be absolutely massive !

3. Even if 2) were achieved they would still be starting many years after Amazon had perfected their business model.

So eBay please play to your strengths - we all know what they are - and forget any dream of becoming Amazon or Amazon-Lite !

Thanks in anticipation, Mike.

Message 958 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

Yeah, who needs a description on that rare antique when all you need to do is fill in item specifics.

Common sense is NOT required regarding working for ebay.

@circa1901 wrote:

@circa1901- I've just found the response in today's 15 April Weekly Chat that you refer to:

Yes. I see that it is not searching your descriptions for those words. I don't know why. I will have to inquire. However, I do know this: We are planning to move away from description search (maybe we are already doing so) and focusing on titles AND Item Specifics. If you have specific text that you would believe would be text a buyer might use for locating your item, create custom Item Specifics and add them that way. For example, Song 1 = Just A Kid Named Joe.

Griff

eBay Radio
http://www.ebayradio.com

One thought - IF descriptions were abolished in item listings wouldn't those eBay sellers who embed their large-scale images in the body of descriptions using TurboLister be very unhappy ?

Maybe TurboLister is for the chop next ?

Mike.

Message 960 of 1,018
latest reply