cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@vagabondjoes wrote:

I agree it's for mobile, but people that click on the item are already looking for information....don't you think?  Why make them jump through hoops for more.

Hi.  This is a long thread, about to hit 48 pp. soon, so don't expect you to go back and read it all.  But actually it is just the opposite.  We have learned that this so-called "test" is for desktos, laptops -- not for mobile devices.   Ebay's logic for adding the extra to the desktop/laptop experience, which makes buyers click on some obscure notice that says "see item description" or some such wording, is because they want their users to have, and I quote, a "consistent experience" when changing devices.  In other words, they think since people have to click on an extra link on their mobiles, people should have to do the same on their laptops!  Apparently, they think humans can't handle the trauma of switching back and forth.  Honestly, dont we all expect a different experience on our desktops than our mobiles?  Hey, ebay, we're grownups and we can handle it!

Message 931 of 1,018
latest reply

Of all the bone-headed moves eBay has made over the years this must be the absolute worst. It is unfathomable. And as many people have pointed out, eBay is hiding vital information from buyers while sticking ads from other sellers on my page to distract people who visit my auctions. What an insult! Are they deliberately trying to undermine sellers?

And as a buyer, I deeply resent having to go through extra clicks on every listing I look at. After a while I give up, it's not worth the hassle. 

Please, please, please, eBay, listen to your customers! This thread has 47 pages of complaints! NO ONE LIKES THIS!

Message 932 of 1,018
latest reply

eBay needs a better way to report bugs.  This bug ("click to view..." is one such bug.  (As I've said before: Anthing this pourly thought out is a bug.)

Now for a new bug: eMail messages -- The email being sent to me form ebay ("found" item searches) have lost their subject and are not being properly parced by email readers. Sorry, but I can't read MIME.  As such, I cannot read what was sent.  New thread (same idea: Quality Asurance from eBay SUCKS; and whom ever is in charge if it (or lack of it) should be FIRED.

Message 933 of 1,018
latest reply

They're killing me with this click to see description thing. Haven't had any sales in a week, going crazy wondering what the problem is. Then I see that my Description "sales pitch" is hidden behind a link. Called and asked to opt out, but that is not an option. They said to give it a couple of weeks. I need sales right away to recover from this last week. Typical eBay, everything's going OK until they decide to fix something. Anybody hiring?

Message 934 of 1,018
latest reply

PS. Be sure to load up the call lines as well. This has to be made as big a problem for eBay as it is for the seller.

Message 935 of 1,018
latest reply

Not trying to be mean, just out to survive. I can't take another week of this. Been here over 8 years, and this income pays the bills.

Message 936 of 1,018
latest reply

I have simply stopped using eBay (buying or selling) while this latest piece of tomfoolery plays out. This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me. 

Message 937 of 1,018
latest reply

Just replying to the last post, just a general reply -

I haven't gone back to read all the pages, I was posting on this way back at the beginning of the thread and I thought this "test" malarky was supposed to have ended by now?!  Someone please update - did they give an end date?  I thought it was over but, for me, they're suddenly back again as of today! Truncated descriptions and the button and the pop up.  Yes, I helpfully told them off via the stupid little form.  Like I think that will help.  I can't keep up with this *&%$ anymore.

Message 938 of 1,018
latest reply

I'm beginning to think that no one that works at eBay ever sells anything on eBay

Message 939 of 1,018
latest reply

I running the most current version of FF, 36.0.4, and the full descriptions still appear OK like nothing changed, so I'm not sure what is happening with the browser. IE 11 and 10 the "button" shows on my system.
Message 940 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff, I hope you read this and take it to heart, and to your boss. I credit it to member marthcs938:

Hi. This is a long thread, about to hit 48 pp. soon, so don't expect you to go back and read it all. But actually it is just the opposite. We have learned that this so-called "test" is for desktos, laptops -- not for mobile devices. Ebay's logic for adding the extra to the desktop/laptop experience, which makes buyers click on some obscure notice that says "see item description" or some such wording, is because they want their users to have, and I quote, a "consistent experience" when changing devices. In other words, they think since people have to click on an extra link on their mobiles, people should have to do the same on their laptops! Apparently, they think humans can't handle the trauma of switching back and forth. Honestly, dont we all expect a different experience on our desktops than our mobiles? Hey, ebay, we're grownups and we can handle it!
Message 941 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

Many folks have posted that they deleted their cache and ebay cookies and were out of the test after re-booting.

circa1901:  I was one of those posters that said I had success in opting out of this test by clearing cache and cookies but after the 3rd time I've been opted in I am still seeing this after re-booting.  I think they must be onto us.  LOL  The workaround didn't work for me this time and I'm stuck with the test.

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
Message 942 of 1,018
latest reply

@soundman07 wrote:

Hi. This is a long thread, about to hit 48 pp. soon, so don't expect you to go back and read it all. But actually it is just the opposite. We have learned that this so-called "test" is for desktos, laptops -- not for mobile devices. Ebay's logic for adding the extra to the desktop/laptop experience, which makes buyers click on some obscure notice that says "see item description" or some such wording, is because they want their users to have, and I quote, a "consistent experience" when changing devices. In other words, they think since people have to click on an extra link on their mobiles, people should have to do the same on their laptops! Apparently, they think humans can't handle the trauma of switching back and forth. Honestly, dont we all expect a different experience on our desktops than our mobiles? Hey, ebay, we're grownups and we can handle it!

So my question to eBay:

Why can't you write you code so the "other devices" follow desktops?

eBay mentality:

Lets make what we preceve as a bad expernce and make it REALLY bad.

If they are trying to save on screen space; here is a suggestion: Why not get rid of the annoying advertisements that surround our listings?

"[Click here to see something simular to what you are looking at]"

Message 943 of 1,018
latest reply

I guess I am back to being a guinea pig again.  This is the second time since Feburary.  Now all the listings I view show that **bleep** 'see full item description' button.  I have been letting the sellers know what I see.  I would advise others to do the same.

Message 944 of 1,018
latest reply

So much for the "test" lasting two weeks.  How long has it been now?  A month or more?

Cheryl
Message 945 of 1,018
latest reply