cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Descriptions are not back.

Just checked ast of 10:30am PST ... Still seeing the BUG "See full item description"

Still not buying items from eBay.

Message 811 of 1,018
latest reply

This is a beta test on some of us and it sucks eggs. On the what do you think tag (beside the tab to see the description), dislike and comment. It is absolutely the worst idea for sellers and shoppers as you have to X out of the pop up descrition to bid, or watch. I can tell you right now this is a new attempt to control content in the description and it is an additional reason to do most of my selling on a different site. Thumbs down 😞

Message 812 of 1,018
latest reply

I'm not buying either.  I'm opted into a test I wanted nothing to do with.  It took a lot of nerve to pull this on us without asking if we wanted to be a part of it.  Descriptions are ok as long as I am on my PC.  On my laptop I get that link and the descriptions are jumbled up.  Completely ruined.  You spend time to make your description uniquely you and Ebay comes in and ruins it.  I've needed shipping supplies that I normally buy from a couple of sellers here on Ebay.  I bought them elsewhere this time.

END THIS STUPID TEST EBAY!

Cheryl
Message 813 of 1,018
latest reply

Controlling content. It is a major lose for the sellers and eBay.

Message 814 of 1,018
latest reply

Control of content.

Message 815 of 1,018
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:
Ha! Whenever i see posts like these, and what the fine folks at ebay burden us with next, can't help but think of that old cannibal joke:

Mrs Cannibal goes to the meat counter at the grocery store. Brains sound good for dinner. She sees lawyers brains on sale $4.99/lb, politician brains on sale $9.99/lb, and ebay exec brains on "sale" for $1000/lb. Mrs Cannibal is curious as to why ebay exec brains are so pricey, and asks the butcher behind the counter. The butcher responds.....................

Anyone??

It takes a thousand of them to MAKE a pound?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 816 of 1,018
latest reply

I'm late to this discussion but no less angry about it. I only discovered it when I went to purchase something from Ebay and did a search. I thought at first some sellers were just short-cutting thier descriptions and ebay was pointing me to other items I may want. This click and click again is a preposterous process. It is difficult enough to get some buyers to read a full description when it right up front, but this makes hidden and a seller is set up for a return.

Photobucket
Message 817 of 1,018
latest reply

For those that need to work around this bug:

• It appears to be browser specific. I've verified this two ways (more details below).
  • This bug does NOT appear in the Chrome "Incognito" (and perhaps similar option for other browsers).
  • For me, it DOES appear on Chrome, however does NOT appear on IE. (There is another IE bug {bluekai}; and a key reason I can't just change browsers).
  • I might suggest that deleting cookies MIGHT (theory only not tried) remove the bug. HOWEVER: I don't know which cookies need to be removed, and I don’t' want to remove ALL the other cookies that I "need".

Problems/issues:

1. If you delete all cookies, there is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.
  2. As support knows nothing about this bug; and they are not willing (or are unable) to follow up, ANY actions may provide false positives (that is: The moron that created this may say "Look people LIKE this CARP")
  3. The "incognito" workaround may have the problem as #2; ALSO ... you need to re-log each time you close a window (vs regular cookie-browser time out). (I was able confirm this)
  4. Assumption that no one has a contact for the moron that thought this was a good idea [?]

As of 11:30 PST ... this BUG is still in eBay.

P.S. I've stopped being nice in my responses ("Tell us what you think") to eBay: I'm calling them {names} and telling them exactly what I think.  Honey didn't work, so I'm giving them vinegar.

P.S.S. $1000 is WAY to much.  No would buy it.

Message 818 of 1,018
latest reply

And for me I saw it in IE but didn't see it in Firefox. I don't have Chrome so can't check that.

It is a test ... just a test ... when the test is over I don't think we will be happy with the results.
Message 819 of 1,018
latest reply

Just how many times & ways do we have to say it?

This is NOT a 'bug' or a 'glitch' it's an eBay sanctioned TEST fgs.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 820 of 1,018
latest reply

I think this RIDICULOUS test is user related, but also cookie related.  I use firefox almost exclusively, and I get the RIDICULOUS "See Item Description" button instead of the actual description I WANT to see on my home computer, but on my work computer, I get the normal page with the description as it should be.

But it's also over both my accounts.  It has the "test" on both accounts on my home computer, and I have the normal view with the full description on the listing, on the same both accounts on my work computer..  Both in firefox.  I am going to try and clean out my cookies when I get home, and see if I can get RID of that HORRIBLE change.

I can't believe they would even do something like that, hiding the description.  Ebay has done some terrible changes over the years, but this has got to be one of the worst they every tried.

Message 821 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Just how many times & ways do we have to say it?

This is NOT a 'bug' or a 'glitch' it's an eBay sanctioned TEST fgs.

ANY so called "test" that is this ill-conceived that was not caught by a testing department, programmer or program management -- (with no viable option out) and was not told “THIS IS DUMB DUMB DUMB” is a BUG.

I will not dignify this BUG by calling it anything less than what it is: a BUG.

As I can't viably use eBay -- this is a BUG. 

If eBay wants to talk to me about  it... I'll be HAPPY to oblige.

Message 822 of 1,018
latest reply

Views are WAY up.  Sales are non-existant.

With no descriptions to read, people have more time for speed browsing. 

(With no descriptions to read, responsible people aren't going to buy anything.)

Message 823 of 1,018
latest reply

@what-else wrote:

Views are WAY up.  Sales are non-existant.

With no descriptions to read, people have more time for speed browsing. 

(With no descriptions to read, responsible people aren't going to buy anything.)

Views are WAY up:

... People are continually checking: This is BUG fixed yet?   ...

Sales are non-existant:

...People saying NO... well, I'm not buying it.... hoping eBay will fix the BUG

- or -

... "the seller has no description!"  /thanks to eBay

BTW:

Even if you consider this a 'feature' ... there *IS* still a bug: You can't see the detail of the time and the description at the same time.  The pop-up view is modal, you can't move details (now in the background) around.

BAD design

BAD implementation

BAD conception

... no opt-out.  No way for me to to ... for my use of eBay - the 'old' way works, the new one DOES NOT.

P.S. would love to know how you got the details.

Message 824 of 1,018
latest reply

I went in and deleted my eBay cookies and I now see the descrition like it should be. I am going to put that in the item condition section on my listings. It is actually another attempt by eBay to control the content and the best way to get rid of it is educate as many people as possible to delete all eBay cookies.

Message 825 of 1,018
latest reply