cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Try one and see if it gets past the bot that detects text in photos.
Message 676 of 1,018
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Oddly, the CS reps have never heard of Jeff.  They rely solely on their canned scripts, so don't count on them ever removing bad feedback caused by this latest "improvement."  Smiley Sad

Message 677 of 1,018
latest reply

And per Griff text in images only lowers search placement as a penalty

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 678 of 1,018
latest reply

@thebaglady-2016 wrote:
And per Griff text in images only lowers search placement as a penalty

But according to the Picture Policy text in images isn't even allowed. Doesn't say it lowers search placement.

Under the Not Allowed section:

Adding additional text, artwork or other marketing materials to photos

Message 679 of 1,018
latest reply

@aemi*amore wrote:

circa, how do you know?

I think it's somewhere in this thread ...Jeff said the test had 2 more weeks to go and from the date he made that statement would make it 2/24.

Message 680 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
How convenient there's no weakly chat this week (and yeswekow it's onlybecausegriff has jury duty etc etc and after all there'sonlyjeff &griff to host the chats these days).

Just FYI that our scheduling conflicts have been resolved, so we will be having the Weekly Chat this week as originally planned. The link to this week's chat is http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

Well that's a plus (maybe).

As you're here perhaps you can clarify if adding the 'description' to the condition box or seller's notes is against policy?

I believe this question was answered earlier in the thread, but eBay's policy is that the "Condition description" box is only for the seller to describe the item's condition. It's spelled out in the info box the seller can click on when writing their listing. It says... "Tell buyers all about the condition of your item so they know exactly what to expect. Use this field only to describe your item's condition. You'll be able to add other details (such as your return policy) in other parts of your listing."

The policy is also spelled out just above the box, where it says... "Highlight any defects, missing parts, scratches or wear and tear also described in your item description. Use this field only for your item's condition to comply with our selling practices policy."

Additional information can also be found on the Help page for "Describing the item's condition" - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/providing_item_condition.html

Message 681 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
jeff (fromebay) said the test would run until that date

Not exactly what I said. I said it will run until we get a statistically significant sample size, which we anticipate should be less than two weeks (which was last Thursday, if I remember correctly). I don't know when the end date for the test will be and have never posted a specific date.

Message 682 of 1,018
latest reply

Think it was in weakly chat just last week. Text in photo specifically noted that it lowers search placement. Listings were NOT pulled. Can u imagine the China sellers....I mean the USA sellers???

Message 683 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Not exactly what I said. I said it will run until we get a statistically significant sample size, which we anticipate should be less than two weeks (which was last Thursday, if I remember correctly). I don't know when the end date for the test will be and have never posted a specific date.

Jeff, are you aware of any plans or statements that eBay is planning on that speak to this "test" or any possible complications to sellers as a result of it?  (ei; opened requests/cases) Or is it suffice to say that all that has been already said is all we should expect. Thank you.

Message 684 of 1,018
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

Jeff, I had a chance to review last week’s chat and I saw where in response to a question about disputing INAD defects you responded to the questioner that the best approach was preventative –  robust, full item descriptions.  I’m sure you’re simply relaying internal best practices, but from a seller’s perspective how does that square with the current test where descriptions are being made more difficult access?

Isn’t that taking away (or reducing) what sellers are told by ebay is their best tool to prevent INAD disputes?  It seems to me that the advice offered to sellers, which is quite reasonable, is in direct conflict with considered actions by ebay.  If transactions that don’t produce defects are the key to keeping more customers on the site and the item description is the key to avoiding INAD defects, then how does it make sense to reduce the opportunity for buyers to read the description?

My full answer also included what to do if the claim is made even if the seller had full descriptions and photos. Here's the link to anyone who wants to read my full answer - http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

The description is still part of the listing, even during this test. The same protections apply. If a buyer claims your item is not as described because of a reason that the seller documented in their listing, the seller is going to be protected. For example, if a seller's listing says that the item is used and the buyer complains the item is "not new", the seller is going to be protected.

Message 685 of 1,018
latest reply

@snappyauctions14 wrote:
First, exercising a right, isn't the same as being right. But that's only one layer here. Look at tye quote at the top. I understand it's attributed to Jeff. Or is it eBay? Or is Jeff eBay? And who's uncle IS 'Griff'? And would YOU want either of these as YOUR juror?

When the "uncle" moniker started Griff was seen as a benign, pleasant, helpful, cuddly, teddy bear like character, first ebay employee and all that cra ...er ...jazz. His ebay ID used to be unclegriff or some variation of that. The only thing that stands is first ebay employee.

Message 686 of 1,018
latest reply

Hasn't this ALWAYS been ebay policy? Never adhered to but it has always been there.

Message 687 of 1,018
latest reply

@books...forthememories wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Oddly, the CS reps have never heard of Jeff.  They rely solely on their canned scripts, so don't count on them ever removing bad feedback caused by this latest "improvement."  Smiley Sad

I hear this pretty often and never quite understand the point.

It's pretty easy to find out that eBay has more than 30,000 employees (one source of many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay ). I work in San Jose. The majority of the CS team is in Salt Late City. Is the expectation that all 30,000+ of us, regardless of where we work, know each other? What other business, organization, group in the world has ever existed where 30,000+ people all know each other?

Message 688 of 1,018
latest reply

@cinco_swim wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Jeff, are you aware of any plans or statements that eBay is planning on that speak to this "test" or any possible complications to sellers as a result of it?  (ei; opened requests/cases) Or is it suffice to say that all that has been already said is all we should expect. Thank you.

Do you have a specific question that hasn't been answered yet? I'll be glad to answer your questions if I have the info.

Message 689 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

WELL HAVE YOU GOT YOUR SIGNIFICANT SAMPLE SIZE YET?  I am very thankful that this ridiculous test has not shown up for every buyer... If I had not been looking in the discussion groups, would not even known about it....  why would anyone want to not see the item description???? 

If you want to do something practical, then have a short description for seller to fill out that shows for everyone and a long description... otherwise forget it.  And then the window that pops up is unreadable?!?!?  Smiley Mad  I don't get why this test was done at all.

Message 690 of 1,018
latest reply