cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Day Sales

I had a couple sales yesterday, but one of them remains uncertain to me at the moment, even though it has already been paid via PayPal.

It involves the sale of an old LANE cedar chest that was listed as a local pickup only / no shipping. Local pickup only was not only memtioned in my item description, but it was also very clear in the 'Shipping tab' of the listing that eBay fills in and it was also right in my title in all caps - 'LOCAL PICKUP ONLY'.

The buyer is a person with a feedback score of 1, and their shipping address is in Indiana. I am in Massachusetts.

There is a possibility that they are in Massachusetts or some nearby state for the Holidays, but they may not be as well.

Last night i sent them a message that went something like this: Hi there (buyer's name), Thank you so much for your recent purchase and Merry Christmas to you and yours! Do you happen to be in Massachusetts visiting with family for the Holidays?

Now the ball is in their court. We shall see how they respond.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Christmas Day Sales

I am in Indiana and Mass isn't that far away, it's a day trip and more gas than shipping, but you never know.

I sold some pieces of furniture as local pick up to California and IL respectively for an estate and basically gave them a firm date to get their items and then waited for them to come and get them.  They did, although it took a few weeks for one.

Congrats on the sale.  I didn't get any, but a Christmas eve sale made up for it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

@retrose1 wrote:

I am in Indiana and Mass isn't that far away, it's a day trip and more gas than shipping, but you never know.

I sold some pieces of furniture as local pick up to California and IL respectively for an estate and basically gave them a firm date to get their items and then waited for them to come and get them.  They did, although it took a few weeks for one.

Congrats on the sale.  I didn't get any, but a Christmas eve sale made up for it.

Thank you for the reply, but there is just one more detail i left out of the original post. It looks like they may have a phone or some kind of mobile device with this sale. When i view the details of the sale in 'My eBay', it displays the seller's name and address at the top. Under that is the item's price of $120. And under that is 'Shipping: free'.

Is the eBay mobile device app not able to process 'FREE LOCAL PICKUP' orders properly?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

@best_vintage_photos wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

Thank you for the reply, but there is just one more detail i left out of the original post. It looks like they may have a phone or some kind of mobile device with this sale. When i view the details of the sale in 'My eBay', it displays the seller's name and address at the top. Under that is the item's price of $120. And under that is 'Shipping: free'.

Is the eBay mobile device app not able to process 'FREE LOCAL PICKUP' orders properly?

Gotta love those ebay glitches.  One of the reasons I won't list expensive or heavy on ebay, the less I have to lose, the better for me.

It might be that ebay programmers can not figure out a place for local pickup options in the mass of other ship options or that local pickup should negate all the other options.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

Okay, so the buyer got back to me saying: 'No, i am in Indiana.' 

I replied with: 'Were you planning a trip to Massachusetts? This item was listed for local pickup only. Thanks again.'

If they don't want to come here, it would be good for them to be the ones to initiate a cancelation of transaction, right?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

Yes, wait until he gets back to you and advises what he wants to do.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

If they can't do local pickup, you can always legitimately choose issue with buyer's address as the cancellation reason.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

@lookng2015 wrote:
If they can't do local pickup, you can always legitimately choose issue with buyer's address as the cancellation reason.

Thank you! I was wondering about that as well.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

We deal with this all the time with our big parts that we don't ship out. I always message the customer thanking them for the purchase and explaining where we are located and that ebay states they live in whatever state. I ask if they're able to pick it up and when they always say no I just cancel for the address reason.

I have noticed the problem with th mobile app though. I notice that it usually says "Local pick up only or free shipping" or something along those lines. It's very confusing for buyers and ebay really needs to address this.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Christmas Day Sales

@gmautocityparts wrote:

We deal with this all the time with our big parts that we don't ship out. I always message the customer thanking them for the purchase and explaining where we are located and that ebay states they live in whatever state. I ask if they're able to pick it up and when they always say no I just cancel for the address reason.

I have noticed the problem with th mobile app though. I notice that it usually says "Local pick up only or free shipping" or something along those lines. It's very confusing for buyers and ebay really needs to address this.

Thank you. That sounds reasonable to me.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply