cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing My eBay Registration Address

Basic question:  What are some of the tangential changes that may occur when I change my eBay registration address?

The following info is what I consider relevant though it may not be adequate:

-For future ease of access, I added a close family member to my bank account and also used their address on that account.

-I live near the border of two states so now my eBay registration address and that of my bank account are in two different states.

- Are there any  negative consequences to simply changing my eBay registration address to match that on the bank account that anyone knows of? How eBay calculates taxes for the buyers e.g?

-I have been selling on eBay for three years and have been receiving weakly payouts. This recent hurdle is a consequence of submitting bank statement to eBay to add the payment on demand option/debit card.

-The submission was kicked back due to the addresses not being the same.

Thank you for any input you may have and while I realize this may seem an easily answered question and it's a bit embarrassing to show my ignorance but, it is often that simple cures turn out to have major side effects.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sales tax for buyers is based on the address that the item is shipped to, not from. The seller's location doesn't matter.

I can't think of any negatives, but the relative whose address you're using should put your name on their mailbox, since you could get eBay mail there such as your 1099-K.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You are right, of course, about the tax to the buyer. Thank you for taking the time to help. I think I suffer from "once bitten, twice shy"  so I tend to over complicate. It turned out to be a confounding process just to set up the MPs so I'm reluctant to rock the boat.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

”…it's a bit embarrassing to show my ignorance but, it is often that simple cures turn out to have major side effects.”

Asking for clarification when one is not certain shows intelligence, not ignorance.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

a) The information on your drivers license or passport
b) You keypunching that same information into the eBay computer
c) After eBay sends your bank a 'ping', the reply from the bank
These three have to match, exactly.
You can read other discussions where the eBay member tried submitting some hybrid information involving a second person and they were not approved.
The submission was kicked back due to the addresses not being the same.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Then that person will now have to count the money as their income and file taxes on it since it goes to their account and not  yours.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Their name is just "attached" to the bank account. I am the primary account holder. I could be wrong but, I think that part is ok.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@regeni71 wrote:

Their name is just "attached" to the bank account. I am the primary account holder. I could be wrong but, I think that part is ok.

OK.. I read the OP wrong. I thought you attached THEIR bank account to your ebay account.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. I've had the eBay account since late 2019 but opened the separate account to facilitate MP. However, I simply didn't think to use the registration address. It passed muster with eBay initially but was caught when I attempted to set up the on-demand payment option. My guess is it would have came up eventually anyway in a review process. It was a detail that I missed, which is why I made this query. I am getting to a point in life where I'm a little more prone to missing details.  Thank you for taking the time to help.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for that.  Maybe no so intelligent but I know that there is much wisdom borne from the experiences of the collective.  🙂

Message 10 of 10
latest reply