cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casual Seller Scam

I have had an ebay account for 14 years and started another account several months ago.   I have had 23 sales on my new account when this morning I was notified the funds would be held for 21 days on today's sale.  After holding 25 minutes, ebay support explained the Casual Seller policy.  He said "we randomly hold funds on casual sellers to protect the buyer"    The first 22 sales with no problem is not good enough.  The Prior 14 years with another account with the same PayPal account is not good enough.      I asked him to explain the logic.    He could not explain it.   Sounds like a scam to me:    Ebay has some hostile policy regarding sellers.

Ebay also thwarted my good customer service by removing access to the buyer's email address on the PayPal payment a few weeks ago.  I always send my buyer .pdf instruction to prepare for use of my product, to prevent them from doing something counterproductive regarding the eventual installation of my product while waiting to receive the product. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Casual Seller Scam

I agree, this is a scam. Ebay's own system says my account is "ABOVE AVERAGE". My item is in the hands of the buyer, yet ebay still has my **bleep** money and refuses to release it to me, even though the fedex signature confirmation says the buyer has the item. I have had to reach out to the buyer and plead with them to "confirm delivery" of the item using ebays form so they'll release the funds.

They CLAIM they'll release it in 24 hours but all the messages say they can pull this nonsense for up to 21 days. After completing this sale I am going to be closing my ebay account FOREVER and discouraging everyone I know from using the platform. EBay, you were extremely lucky I even gave you this shot selling this item here and next time I will only be using letgo and offerup instead. You suck, your platform sucks.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Casual Seller Scam

I agree, this is a scam. E bay's own system says my account is "ABOVE AVERAGE". My item is in the hands of the buyer, yet e bay still has my **bleep** money and refuses to release it to me, even though the fed ex signature confirmation says the buyer has the item. I have had to reach out to the buyer and plead with them to "confirm delivery" of the item using e bay s form so they'll release the funds.

They CLAIM they'll release it in 24 hours but all the messages say they can pull this nonsense for up to 21 days. After completing this sale I am going to be closing my e bay account FOREVER and discouraging everyone I know from using the platform. E Bay, you were extremely lucky I even gave you this shot selling this item here and next time I will only be using let go and offer up instead. You suck, your platform sucks.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Casual Seller Scam

@storagecraft-gps wrote:

I have had an ebay account for 14 years and started another account several months ago.   I have had 23 sales on my new account when this morning I was notified the funds would be held for 21 days on today's sale.  After holding 25 minutes, ebay support explained the Casual Seller policy.  He said "we randomly hold funds on casual sellers to protect the buyer"    The first 22 sales with no problem is not good enough.  The Prior 14 years with another account with the same PayPal account is not good enough.      I asked him to explain the logic.    He could not explain it.   Sounds like a scam to me:    Ebay has some hostile policy regarding sellers.

Ebay also thwarted my good customer service by removing access to the buyer's email address on the PayPal payment a few weeks ago.  I always send my buyer .pdf instruction to prepare for use of my product, to prevent them from doing something counterproductive regarding the eventual installation of my product while waiting to receive the product. 

To locate the e mail address all you need to do is act like you are doing a refund on PP.  Violia the e mail address is there

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Casual Seller Scam

The first 22 sales with no problem is not good enough.

For a new seller, they usually wait awhile before they put you in the 21 day hold camp.  If they did it right away for all your sales you would likely have left sooner.

The practice is a function of eBay.  PayPal does not employ this tactic when the service is used on other platforms. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Casual Seller Scam

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:
To locate the e mail address all you need to do is act like you are doing a refund on PP.  Voila the e mail address is there

You can also click Reply on the emailed PayPal payment notification that you receive when the buyer pays. The reply window that comes up will be addressed to the buyer, not to PayPal, so you can see their address that way.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply