cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot list Camphorated Oil

Have two little bottles nearly full of camphorated oil. Not at all familiar with this stuff.  Cute little old bottles with paper labels I bought at an estate sale. Went through the whole process of listing and then got a message that this is a controlled substance and cannot be listed unless I have some kind of license? I did a little research and did not find much info except it comes from an Asian tree and it's good for joint pain, wart cure, etc.  Paid $1 for the pair, so not a big loss, but what is it with this stuff? 

Should I just dump the contents and sell the empty bottles? Don't hear anything on the news about people abusing  "camphorated oil".  Is this some hard to find item I should keep for my own personal use?  Also saw something about wart removal, which is on my grocery list. 

Any info much appreciated. Have gained a wealth of information from these boards. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Cannot list Camphorated Oil

@this*old*attic wrote:

Probably has gone the way of mercurochrome - also taken off the market some number of years ago. Maybe decades. That was an antiseptic for cuts and scrapes, and stained your skin a brownish red. Considered unsafe now.

Mercurochrome was the best!

You can still buy it from foreign pharmacies... search "merbromin"

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Why would a small local pharmacy want to buy a vintage, opened bottle of anything?  

There is some Pharmacists who collect this stuff. I had a great deal of old Pharmacy items from the 1930s and all were snatched up by a Pharm student. (my favorite classes in college)

But to sell this online is a big fat NO. It is highly flammable and probably more so because of it's age. OP destroy contents (and not down the drain) , contact a waste disposal for proper containment and sell the bottles or just keep them, they sound delightful!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@strugglinlikeyou wrote:

Cute little old bottles with paper labels

How old?

The oil might not be good to use.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Guess I will have to take it to our hazardous disposal site if I do. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Great. 🎶 "John Brown's baby had a cold upon his chest!" 🎶 is stuck up in my head. Now I'm @strugglinlikeyou🤣

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Nostalgia? I adore finding vintage items of my collections. Most vintage apothecary items are super collectible for the labels on the bottles. Kind of like old stamp collectors . 

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Great. 🎶 "John Brown's baby had a cold upon his chest!" 🎶 is stuck up in my head. Now I'm @strugglinlikeyou🤣

That's not an Alan Jackson song! Where on earth did you pull up that one? Tom T Hall? 😜😜 😛😃😃

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirl 

I collect old stamps collectors! I've had mine for 53 years now.

IAN WITH JIM MACINTOSH.jpeg

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@toysaver 

(just a little bit more)...besides the location is TIME...when will the OP dump that Oil...exactly time, date, day...

(and when the OP get there, please wait for couple more minutes just in case because of traffic, someone will show up behind schedules...oh, please not too far from Southern California...thank you for the head-up...)

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

...it's lasted without expiration...that why we called remedies...

...some homemade remedies...exp. fresh sliced ginger preserving in rice wine inside a clay pot could last forever...very helpful natural medication for new mother whom just gave birth to a child...she can use the wine mixing with lukewarm water for bath or wash her hair, or rubbing on her skin...the remedy will strengthen her skin elasticity, prevent the hair lost, boost up her immunity system when it absorb through her skin pores...rubbing it around the belly clockwise then counter-clockwise will help the digestive system such a diarrhea or constipated...

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

LOL

Message 26 of 26
latest reply