cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot list Camphorated Oil

Have two little bottles nearly full of camphorated oil. Not at all familiar with this stuff.  Cute little old bottles with paper labels I bought at an estate sale. Went through the whole process of listing and then got a message that this is a controlled substance and cannot be listed unless I have some kind of license? I did a little research and did not find much info except it comes from an Asian tree and it's good for joint pain, wart cure, etc.  Paid $1 for the pair, so not a big loss, but what is it with this stuff? 

Should I just dump the contents and sell the empty bottles? Don't hear anything on the news about people abusing  "camphorated oil".  Is this some hard to find item I should keep for my own personal use?  Also saw something about wart removal, which is on my grocery list. 

Any info much appreciated. Have gained a wealth of information from these boards. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Cannot list Camphorated Oil

This oil is considered "medicinal" as far as eBay is concerned. Instead of throwing it, maybe use it yourself, just a suggestion. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Used or open meds. or perfume or cosmetics are not able to be sold here.

I dont know any reason for the "camphorated oil" itself BUT opened / used items are not allowed anyway.

You may want to dump out the meds and try selling just the bottles.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

...I wish I could buy them from you...specially these were from Asian vintage...(the best...!!!)

...our family knew how to use Camphorated Oil for medical treatment ̣(several passed-on generations)...it's a natural remedies...

...Camphorated Oil was removed from the US market back in the 1980s because of safety concerns associated with accidental intake by mouth...peoples from Canada still can buy it without prescription...

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

A thank you shout out to all who replied: titipeo, klhdg, bbravo65. All very helpful and informative.

So... If I decide to keep this for myself what would I use it for?

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

If you have a local pharmacy in town owned privately, not by a corporation, they may have great interest in buying them off you. Vintage pharmaceuticals are collectibles in the right market. 

But those kinds of pharmacies are few theses days now that the corner of healthy and happy exists at every intersection. I've worked for some guys that would buy those off you for display. 

Just a thought 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Thanks haiwaii girl. Can't think of such a pharmacy offhand, but will keep that in mind. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Probably has gone the way of mercurochrome - also taken off the market some number of years ago. Maybe decades. That was an antiseptic for cuts and scrapes, and stained your skin a brownish red. Considered unsafe now.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Oh, yes. Camphor oil. Soothes rashes, scratches and burns. Rub on your temples for a headache, or on your chest for a head cold  to clear your sinuses. It has a strong odor but I can’t quite remember. Sort of minty or eucalyptus-like, I think.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Possibly refused because it cannot safely be shipped without special packaging.

Basically a fire hazard.

Is Tiger Balm, an Asian headache remedy which is basically a stronger version of VapoRub in better packaging, legally sold in the USA?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Wow, blast from the past. Haven’t seen that on a store shelf in forever. A Google search says Rite Aid (pharmacy chain) carries it. Also on Amazon.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Some stuff you just sell on another site. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Might not be a good idea to sell a substance in a cute little old bottle. Your liability is not worth it.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Why would a small local pharmacy want to buy a vintage, opened bottle of anything?  

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Where are you planning to dump it?  

Message 15 of 26
latest reply