cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get past verify phone before listing

I have talked to eBay customer service way too many times. Off and on for over a year. The call usually ends with them saying they are sending my situation to the tech team. Promising this will be fixed. Never has been. I just started a new account thinking this would finally fix and I could sell again.

still happens even with new account. I give up… so this is my last resort before I waive the white flag. 

cannot verify my number at stage before listing. I have verified my number anywhere I can find to elsewhere on the site account settings. Etc. tried text. Tried call me. Always same response. 

FC65F2C6-6C65-4C44-9E5F-993A0BA5F9D9.png

EB3F5617-6E68-409C-9B46-0D50B3A353BD.png

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Never seen message like this before.   Only thing I can think of is perhaps EBAY is asking for verification because you have not enrolled in new Managed Payments.   EBAY no longer uses PAY PAL for their money management.

Sellers are required to enroll in Managed Payments (EBAY no longer uses PayPal for their money management).    To enroll you must provide checking account (routing# only) and social security# (for tax purposes).   Name on checking account, social security card and your EBAY account must be EXACT MATCH.  No nicknames allowed.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Never seen message like this before.   Only thing I can think of is perhaps EBAY is asking for verification because you have not enrolled in new Managed Payments.   EBAY no longer uses PAY PAL for their money management.

Sellers are required to enroll in Managed Payments (EBAY no longer uses PayPal for their money management).    To enroll you must provide checking account (routing# only) and social security# (for tax purposes).   Name on checking account, social security card and your EBAY account must be EXACT MATCH.  No nicknames allowed.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jaykhunter 

Is it a real phone number and not a number like Text Now?

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it is a real number and works in the account settings verify number. Thank you

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Not sure if this may be issue, but I'll throw it out there:

Had issue a year ago with calling customer service and requesting a call back since wait time was long. Never separated from my phone, never got the call back. THEN, I see in my messages that eBay did try to call back, yet my phone never rang. This scenario was repeated for months. Called ebay and no one could figure it out.

Turns out, I had unknowingly Blocked eBay's customer service # on my phone. Check your phone to see if the following ebay cs # is on your blocked list:  866-540-3229

Don't know if this applies to you, but worth checking since nothing else seems to be working. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I wanted to thank those who took the time to answer. I finally did find a solution sort of. After speaking with ebay I finally got someone who really seemed to know what he was talking about and spoke clearly. Caldreamer was on the right track as I did need to add my checking info but that too has a verify number which would not let me pass to get to that step. Finally I tried a family members phone number, asked them the code, and was able to update my account and sell again. The associate on the phone said there is a newer glitch tied to some phone numbers and maybe that will be fixed... but I can list again. Wanted to post in case this helps someone else with the same issue. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I, too, am having the same problem with verifying my long time phone number (with Ebay since 1998 with the same phone listed with them, starting to see a pattern of long time members while reading up on this).  Same issue with Help techs and no response after 'upgrading' to tech team.  I do notice on my personal info page that while my address has a little 'verified' under it, the phone # doesn't which may be a clue but not a solution.  Our area code just went to mandatory 'must dial 1+area code then number' even if you are calling within the same area code (landline we are talking here), so maybe this is a clue to Ebay's problem.  While I have tried updating my # to another landline within the same area code with no difference with 'verifying' problem, and then back to my orig number, I wonder if I change to my cell (cringe) which is a different area code and that might bypass their problem?  I REALLY don't want to give them my cell number, but...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Such a frustration. Switching my cell to another cell I was able to get past. I used my mothers and asked her for the verification code. I think I’ve switched back to my number now and able to sell currently. Hope this helps and gets you past this issue. What a hassle. Good luck. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply