cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

I was selling a computer and someone accepted an offer to buy the computer but then they messaged me saying

"I'm sorry but I'm going to buy it from my other account on Friday, it's not from this one, it's from another account, but I'm going to buy it on Friday."

Is this even possible or are they trying to scam me?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is this a scam?

hI @thesolaredge ,

1. Buyers can not switch accounts to make a purchase like that.  Some Buyers AND Sellers have more than one account

2. I would wait to see what happens Friday, that will help determine if they are trying to scam you or not.  Let the Unpaid item go for 4 days and then process the Cancellation (NOT before), this will give that account an Unpaid item strike, its one way Sellers have to help Police the site.

3. A person with more than one account should certainly know (and probably does) how things work so they simply could have made a mistake BUT should have mentioned that to you in their message(s). So again, wait until Friday to see what if anything happens.

4. Check their Feedback and see if any other Sellers left Feedback stating the Buyer never paid or something to that effect ... while that type of FB is against Policy some Sellers leave it anyway ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Is this a scam?

@thesolaredge 

No, they can't accept an offer on one account and pay for it on another account.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

So they are trying to scam me?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just no......tell them you can cancel the order and they can send an offer from the other account.

If it's legit, they won't mind that.

If they raise a stink, cancel and BBL.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

It doesn't sound like a scam.  It sounds like you got an email from a potential buyer.  If someone buys it and you ship it you could ask if they have that other username just for info I suppose.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

There is a possibility this is a legit request. Perhaps one account is a personal account, the other is a business/work account that is funded by the company. 

At any rate, as @Anonymous said, ask them to submit offer on other account, is not that difficult.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

What do you mean "someone accepted an offer"; did they send you an offer and YOU excepted? 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Well here is the problem, they accepted the offer and now it is awaiting payment.

So I don't see anyway they can place an offer without me relisting it

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

You should be able to cancel (using "buyer requested cancellation") and relist, I think.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like OP sent them an offer that was accepted.

In that case, OP needs to ask buyer to watch from other account so that OP can send an offer to that account.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

hI @thesolaredge ,

1. Buyers can not switch accounts to make a purchase like that.  Some Buyers AND Sellers have more than one account

2. I would wait to see what happens Friday, that will help determine if they are trying to scam you or not.  Let the Unpaid item go for 4 days and then process the Cancellation (NOT before), this will give that account an Unpaid item strike, its one way Sellers have to help Police the site.

3. A person with more than one account should certainly know (and probably does) how things work so they simply could have made a mistake BUT should have mentioned that to you in their message(s). So again, wait until Friday to see what if anything happens.

4. Check their Feedback and see if any other Sellers left Feedback stating the Buyer never paid or something to that effect ... while that type of FB is against Policy some Sellers leave it anyway ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Is this a scam?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes......cancel, relist, have buyer watch from other account so offer can be sent.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply