cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create a listing for a "hoverboard" that IS UL 2272 certified

I am unable to create a listing for a hoverboard that was NOT part of the CPSC recall, and IS UL 2272 certified.  When I try to list the item I get this message:

"It looks like there's a problem with this listing.  It appears you are attempting to list a hoverboard or self-balancing scooter. Items covered by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recall are not permitted. If your item is not covered by the CPSC recall, you may list a hoverboard or self-balancing scooter if it has been certified to meet the UL 2272 safety standards. You must state in your listing that the item is UL 2272 certified and include a link to the UL Online Certifications Directory showing the certification. Only US domestic shipping is allowed for these approved items.

As the term HOVERBOARD is a registered trademark, please ensure that you are authorized to use the term or consider revising your listing to use an alternative term, such as “self-balancing scooter.”

I've described the item as a "self-balancing scooter," not a "hoverboard," and I've included a link to the UL certification.  I've unchecked International Shipping.  However I still get the same warning that prevents me from submitting the listing.  Hoping someone might have a suggestion.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If you are listing on Seller Hub, you may click on "Send us your feedback" at the top of the page. Somebody from eBay monitors it because I get responses from them.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You can try to rename it without the term Hoverboard or misspell hoverboard in your title and description. eBay's computer may miss that.

eBay's idea that you have to be authorized to use a trademark is only fluff designed  by eBay to try to protect themselves from any complains from any and all trademark owners.  

By the way, hoverboard shows as a typo here but doesn't show it  on their forty-nine cent rudimentary dictionary that looks like if was translated from some bronze age arcane foreign language.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

You can try to rename it without the term Hoverboard or misspell hoverboard in your title and description. eBay's computer may miss that.

eBay's idea that you have to be authorized to use a trademark is only fluff designed  by eBay to try to protect themselves from any complains from any and all trademark owners.  

By the way, hoverboard shows as a typo here but doesn't show it  on their forty-nine cent rudimentary dictionary that looks like if was translated from some bronze age arcane foreign language.

The warning has nothing to do with trademark or rights holder on the hame Hoverboard - the warning is coming because the power sources have a tendancy to overheat and blow up.

Hoverboards were recalled and ebay doesn't want anything recalled to be sold on their site - for obvious reasons.

OP you do know that the reason you can not sell them Internationally is because they can NOT be shipped by air.  They have to be shipped ground.  No airline wants one of those things in their cargohold.

But many of the warnings are just that- warnings, try hitting the continue button and see what happens.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

OK, thanks, I will give that a try.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Actually, the word hoverboard doesn't appear in my listing at all.  As I said, I described the item as a "self-balancing scooter."  

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

You included the link stating it was ul certified but did you also state it in your listing that the item is ul2272 certified?  You didn't mention about putting that in your listing but according to the response you got back from them you need to do both, state it and also give the link.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Or it's a programming bug feature?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Maybe your problem is the link.

If "they" don't want any reference to the item, even the generic term for the item, then the link ties your listing to the "item".

Try to get it listed without the link.

You know they don't want anything to do with links on top of your item shun.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

Or it's a programming bug feature?

Like the feature that prevents even genuine Nike items from being listed if they have Nike in the title?

Got a set of Nike Air Jordans to sell?  oops.  You can't call them Nike Air Jordans, even though they are Nike and that should be one of the first key words; but you can just call them Air Jordans.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

That's a good point, but yes, I put UL 2272 Certified right in the listing....  @odditiesandantiquities1 might be right about this.... But I see other people have successfully listed their products, so there must be some way around it.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Just tried it again without the link, but it still gives the same error message and blocks me from listing.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Have you looked at the listings already posted.

See what they use in title, description and for pictures that they were able to get it through.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@squirrellmaster wrote:

That's a good point, but yes, I put UL 2272 Certified right in the listing....  @odditiesandantiquities1 might be right about this.... But I see other people have successfully listed their products, so there must be some way around it.

Anyone from the USA?

@emerald40 wrote:

Have you looked at the listings already posted.

See what they use in title, description and for pictures that they were able to get it through.

And see if it was revised - that may allow it if you list it as something else, then change it.