cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me how "Accept offers" work?

I thought that when a seller (me) accepts the offer, that the buyer was immediately charged and pay for the merchandise.

I accepted an offer 2 hours ago.  How soon is "immediate" payment?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
5 REPLIES 5

How soon is "immediate" payment?

@liawri-75 

I did check your listings, and you do retain the buyer requirement that forces a buyer to put up a payment source in order to make an offer to you.  Though that setting limits the ways a buyer can pay, and removes the option to combine items for one shipping price, it also is the setting that IS SUPPOSED TO RESULT in the buyer being auto-billed. 

Since eBay is always changing things up with regards to offers the past few months, it is possible that they have done something to this format as well.  For a while there, they were changing offers that you accepted into offers that you sent (with no notice) to either party per se, and that was a mess for both buyers and sellers alike. eBay refused to address the problem.  Auto-billing was indeed not happening, so maybe it is still turned off?  

Be advised, as well, that some sellers have reported getting no notice that buyer has actually paid, when indeed they were auto-billed.  In addition, the process of requiring a payment source in advance of making an offer, some responded by offering a card for which the balance was insufficient.  As a result, the auto-billing would fail, and the transaction would proceed with the "96 hours to pay" as normal (no auto-billing) format.  

Unless you discover that you HAVE been paid, there is really no way to tell. If you figure it out, do come back and let us know.  You are not the first to report it over the last couple of days. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The key word is "most buyers."

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

When using the Best Offer option in a listing, immediate payment isn't required for most buyers. However, some buyers may be asked to confirm their payment and shipping details when they're making an offer.

@lacemaker3 

Thanks for that link.  I looked for a time stamp on the page, but did not see one to determine if it was "new" or "old" outdated news so to speak.   Do you know?  

If it is new, what happened to auto-billing?  Are they just data collecting now with the requirement that a buyer put up a payment source in order to bid, and auto-billing no longer happens? 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

eBay doesn't normally put date stamps on their help pages, to show when they are updated.

That link goes to the current page. I can't tell you when it might have been edited most recently. You could try going through the cached pages at the wayback machine (www.archive.org) if you want to try to figure that out.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply