cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an entire store's inventory and commercial shelving be put in one listing for local pickup only?

I have Lozier commercial shelving (45 uprites, 200 beams & decks, 90 island gondolas with 3 shelves on each side), other items (steel clothing racks, light, pegboards, etc) and inventory (about 20 pallets includes hardware (nails, wall plates), clothing, frames, hair brush, and other items way to many to list) that I would like to part with in one go.  This was for a general store to be opened by a family member.  Covid delayed opening and along with family member finding out they had cancer which put an entire stop to opening this space.

Thus, the reason for parting with it in one go. I wanted to know if this is allowed on eBay. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Can an entire store's inventory and commercial shelving be put in one listing for local pickup o

Why would you?   Putting them for sale up on eBay, knowing they have to go to someone who can pick them up just means giving away a share of the profits.  That makes no sense and most (maybe all) eBay buyers expect you to mail their item, not pick it up.  Bad idea.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Re: Can an entire store's inventory and commercial shelving be put in one listing for local pickup o

@aster-stat wrote:

Can an entire store's inventory and commercial shelving be put in one listing for local pickup only?

Sure, but offhand I can't think of an item that is less suited for this venue. 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@aster-stat  As many have said - you can create a listing for a variety of items. Lot of 422 Shelving & Inventory Items to Open New Store (just a rough example). You might want to check on ebay as new sellers have a limit on the number of listings and a maximum dollar amount of listings they can create. Ebay does this to make sure new sellers get some experience before risking  large $ and/or quantity of items.

You could post to your FB account, FB marketplace, or craigslist. Ebay does offer more exposure, but the fees would be a lot. A relative of mine decided to close their restaurant. They just posted on FB that they would be closing and someone offered to buy the business and everything in it (equipment, dishes, tables, all of it). Best of Luck!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Insofar as eBay policies go, yes, this could list this as one massive lot. 

Whether or not you could list it, I don't know, given limits and restrictions placed on new sellers, which you would be considered since it's been over a year since you sold anything.

If you can list it, think long and hard before doing so, because selling for family is full of problems, from unhappiness at prices realized to disputes over who is responsible for customer care and for financial responsibility if the deal goes south. 

Unless all this stuff is in under your control from the moment you list to the moment it is picked up, you run the risk of there being items that are missing or not as described, and any problem arising from that could be an enormous hassle for you.

Remember that the 1099-K that will be issued will attribute the income to YOU for tax purposes, and the tax liability will be entirely yours.  How will you handle that and how will you be reimbursed if you have to send payment to the IRS?

And so on.  So, really, think about this before jumping in.   Good luck, however you decide to handle it.

=

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I did piecemeal sell merchandise and donated any liquids, consumables, paper products, and most of the clothing  (things I was worried about storing or would take forever to sell and wrote them off. 

I lotted up some Uhaul boxes and sold full box lots, but that was very slow...like a box full of cosmetics, etc.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 20
latest reply