cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer just return anything and still get refunded?

I sold a craft item, a wreath, to a customer.  In that description I carefully noted the exact dimensions of the piece.  I have an automatic return policy but the reason given by the buyer for the return was that the item was "too big."  So the return was initiated.  To my surprise, when I opened the box sent back by the buyer it was a different wreath.  A much inferior item to mine with less workmanship.  In other words, a cheap piece of junk made of ribbon and wire.  Mine was cloth and wood and other materials.  I discovered the buyer has a store selling exclusively wreaths that they make.    I filed the case with the picture of what I got and Ebay promptly ruled in the buyer's favor and issued the refund.  My question is, could anybody buy anything on Ebay, make a switch on the return, and get ruled in their favor?  What are the limitations to this?  I wanted to get my wreath back, but it's just plain been stolen.  I don't know any other way I could describe what happened except as stealing.  The buyer won't respond to messages.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

So in other words there is no 100% way to protect yourself here against a scammer.

We already know that. 

But there's no reason to lie down and take it. 

Sellers should exercise the little bit of power and "noise" they can make trying to be heard. 

I will not bang my head against a brick wall or raise my blood pressure  over a feel good, but useless endeavor.

Read too many horror stories here and everything sellers tried, to no avail.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

YES, you got robbed. and I wish that Ebay would stand by the good people who are getting robbed

I can tell you what this criminal does NOt expect. She expects you'll take it and disappear.

I can tell you what I'd do. A quick message to her indicating she sent back a different wreath and perhaps she made a mistake. Give her an out and see what what happens. Wait a bit. If no answer, I'd be reporting her to the USPS postal inspector, on usps.com for MAIL FRAUD (her business too), filing a complaint with her police department, with BBB and filing complaints on other websites that are available for that with her name, business,  address, everything. You want her showing up on searches

As long as the good people take it, these criminals will keep on doing it.

And EBAY WHERE ARE YOU!!! THIS SCAM IS BLOWING UP ALL OVER YOUR WEBSITE. WHERE ARE YOU????

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@nannabooks wrote:

I sold a craft item, a wreath, to a customer.  In that description I carefully noted the exact dimensions of the piece.  I have an automatic return policy but the reason given by the buyer for the return was that the item was "too big."  So the return was initiated.  To my surprise, when I opened the box sent back by the buyer it was a different wreath.  A much inferior item to mine with less workmanship.  In other words, a cheap piece of junk made of ribbon and wire.  Mine was cloth and wood and other materials.  I discovered the buyer has a store selling exclusively wreaths that they make.    I filed the case with the picture of what I got and Ebay promptly ruled in the buyer's favor and issued the refund.  My question is, could anybody buy anything on Ebay, make a switch on the return, and get ruled in their favor?  What are the limitations to this?  I wanted to get my wreath back, but it's just plain been stolen.  I don't know any other way I could describe what happened except as stealing.  The buyer won't respond to messages.

Yes.

None.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Here is what the eBay Office of the President had to say in reply to a BBB complaint, August 11, 2014, regarding this problem:

"We do not currently cover faulty returns and consider them a cost of doing business. When you sell on eBay, we consider you a business. One of our goals is to allow our sellers, whether they're large or small, to function as a business. As well as the potential for profit, all business models will have some sort of loss built in; it's important when selling on eBay that you consider this as a possibility."

Which roughly translates as "too bad".

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

OK Guys, this one's pretty much a slam-dunk since the 'buyer' now apparently has the item up for sale on their seller account.

@Anonymous

tyler@ebay

alan@ebay

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Is this the one for $24 + $10 shipping?

You know you can get the other member's phone number and call them?

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Your experience with the lying theif you dealt with and the inexcusable action by Ebay is exactly why I sent a letter to ebay telling them i was DONE with them. Ebay looks after the buyer. Sellers?  well you can just cross your fingers and pray  you sold to a honest buyer.

Good luck

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

By Georg, I think you've got it! 🙂 

OP.....don't let it go. Report the buyer, file the fraud, report to the BBB. Do it all. 

And do you think this is going to make one bit of difference to the seller who still will never see a penny of his money. 

If they never see a penny, at least they will feel better than having done nothing.   As Teddy Roosevelt once said:  “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.”

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Here is what the eBay Office of the President had to say in reply to a BBB complaint, August 11, 2014, regarding this problem:

"We do not currently cover faulty returns and consider them a cost of doing business. When you sell on eBay, we consider you a business. One of our goals is to allow our sellers, whether they're large or small, to function as a business. As well as the potential for profit, all business models will have some sort of loss built in; it's important when selling on eBay that you consider this as a possibility."

Which roughly translates as "too bad"

Sounds exactly what you would expect to hear from a company (any company) that wants to deflect and then defend bad practices.  You know, throw sand on it, and maybe the fire wil go out.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Morning,

Sadly, there are bad folks out there, they prey on the innocent and use the system to their advantage.

Since ebay has no vested interested...as investment...in your goods, they will not back you up unless the corrupt buyer in the transaction messes up themselves in their plan to take advantage of you.

This is the by product of e commerce...Bad folks no longer have to look you in the eye when ripping you off...this goes for all folks...sellers or buyers. Without that basic of deterent value...eye contact...it is much more difficult to deal with folks like this.

It is not easy to be faced with this and It really bothers me that you had to deal with this but there is little you can do other than reporting this fraud to the USPS.

Mr C

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Really! How did you find it? PM me. 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

No need for that.  Just search the OP's completeds.  You may (or may not) have to search using the word 'wreath'.

If you're asking about the others seller's item (OP's buyer), I haven't found that one.  I'm just going on what the OP said.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@nannabooks wrote:

i believe a buyer can say and do anything.

i will also say that 99.99% of buyers are good.

but there is always 0.01%.

some not good and others that simply use a return policy loosely.

2 returns this year;

the item doesn't feel right...

another complains about a glaze imperfection (even though described)...

but i take returns so don't argue with buyers...

(which is NOT an acknowledgement of any wrong doing).

and now i get;

looks bigger in pics.

measurements are in title and description which is what i replied.

this one is fishing for a partial or a refund but not asking for it.

she is a pro.

a normal customer would simply ask to return if really unhappy.

she is not doing that.

just complaining.

so i am not going to oblige.

if she really wants to return, she is going to have to come out and ask.

i am not offering until she asks.

so yes i believe buyers can do and say anything.

this is why people on this board often say;

if you are not willing to lose it, don't list it.

thank God these buyers are very few.

most buyers are good people.

letoulousain
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

While most of the posters here have hijacked your thread, just to rant about eBay, I think you still have a case and should call eBay. Especially if the buyer really does have your wreath up for sale.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Sad but true.  Sellers have received used cat litter, boxes of toaster parts, dirty socks, driveway gravel... and the list goes on.  eBay refunded every dime.

A seller friend of mine got back a piece of wood in place of a $2000. piece of jewelry. I vaguely remember a watch seller getting ripped off for 2 Rolexs in 2 months on here. Both of the above sellers had / have 15 + years on here with thousands of steller feedback. I know for a fact that my friend with a b&m records every transaction, including shipments, and it didn't do him a lick of good with feepay.

My favorite rip-off story on here was a seller that got back a pamphlet from the thief entitled "How to Avoid Being Ripped-off on ebay."

Message 30 of 31
latest reply