cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel a sale before shipping due to the expectation of a high maintenance buyer ?

I have sold an item today and the buyer paid.

Right after he sent me a message questioning the item.

I have been around long enough to detect a high maintenance buyer and a potential return coming or a push for partial refund.

If I cancel the sale without the buyer's approval do I open myself to a negative feedback?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Can I cancel a sale before shipping due to the expectation of a high maintenance buyer ?

Of course you do. Buyer pays, seller ships. Hope for the best.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@ganigixx wrote:

I have sold an item today and the buyer paid.

Right after he sent me a message questioning the item.

I have been around long enough to detect a high maintenance buyer and a potential return coming or a push for partial refund.

If I cancel the sale without the buyer's approval do I open myself to a negative feedback?

Absolutely and deservedly. You listed your item to sell, you agreed to that in advance. You have a buyer, which these days is difficult enough to get, and they have paid you. There is NO REASON for you not to ship your item out. Canceling without a legitimate reason, such as buyer requested, is cause for a demerit on your selling account and completely opens you up to receiving a negative on your feedback profile.

You wanted to sell your item and you have. Complete the process, ship it out, stop thinking the worst and remain positive all will be fine. The majority of sales have no issues at all. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Your best bet is to answer the seller's question in a  manner that casts the most doubt upon the worthiness of the item and then ask if they want to cancel the sale.  There is nothing wrong with adding a bit of balderdash to your response as well, being a tad less than factual.  If you have already responded to the buyer's question then you can perhaps notify the buyer that you have found some small flaw and then ask if they want to cancel the transaction.  The goal is to get them, by hook or by crook, to request the cancelation.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

What was the question?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

Your best bet is to answer the seller's question in a  manner that casts the most doubt upon the worthiness of the item and then ask if they want to cancel the sale.  There is nothing wrong with adding a bit of balderdash to your response as well, being a tad less than factual.  If you have already responded to the buyer's question then you can perhaps notify the buyer that you have found some small flaw and then ask if they want to cancel the transaction.  The goal is to get them, by hook or by crook, to request the cancelation.

Seriously? Why be a seller if you're going to do something like this? I think this is awful advice. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Be very polite and business like when responding to the buyer. Take a photo of package and send it with a friendly email stating package is in the mail. Any problems with the item send a friendly email and ask if is it possible to send me a photo of said item. Buyer might just be a little more needy than other buyers.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@m60driver wrote:

Seriously? Why be a seller if you're going to do something like this? I think this is awful advice. 

Because an experienced seller knows when the odds of a transaction going south go up.  Over the years of selling one gets a sense of when canceling a sale is the best path.  The issue is that Ebay allows for no wiggle room as they have little to no skin in the game.  It would be nice if Ebay were to allow veteran sellers to unilaterally cancel a small number of sales per year without penalty.  Thus sometimes, not often, one needs to act with a bit of subterfuge.  I have this scenario happen to me about once a year.  So I beg to disagree, I think it is very sage advice. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I see in your listing you used the words "excellent condition" I never do that even if what I am selling is in perfect condition. The problem is some fussy buyers if there is any minor flaw will complain because you said it was in excellent condition.

Once in a while I will use "good condition", but most times I point out every flaw that may exist on the item even though in many cases they are very minor. It means they can't be disappointed when they get the item and in most cases they are pleasantly surprised at the excellent condition it is in. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Buyers who ask questions are very good buyers. It is the ones that do not ask questions you need to worry about. If you answer honestly, they will know for sure they want your item or they will just ask you to cancel the purchase. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Buyers who ask questions are very good buyers. It is the ones that do not ask questions you need to worry about. If you answer honestly, they will know for sure they want your item or they will just ask you to cancel the purchase. 

I agree that good buyers do ask questions. But in all honesty, the time to ask questions is before they hit the BIN or bid button. With that said, I don't cancel what I consider to (possibly) be a high maintenance buyer.

albertabrightalberta

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta   Unfortunately, some sellers can be just very rude and spiteful.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

m60drvr,

I think it is borderline unethical. Like the seller is trying to get the buyer to fall for a trap.

Awful advice. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I've had people ask a question about an item after purchase that means it's obviously NOT going to work - I answer the question truthfully and then say if they want to cancel I can do that for them, no harm/no foul. I see that as a choice, not really a trick, but I am being truthful about answering the question.

ETA: @m60driver is right, though - some after-sale questions are red flags.  I had someone start questioning actual descriptions after they had purchased the item.  It was a black heavy linen jacket.  After purchase they wrote "Is it black?" and "heavy linen?"  I almost just canceled, but answered their questions and went through with it.  It wasn't a great experience - it wasn't even a mediocre one.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I've had people ask a question about an item after purchase that means it's obviously NOT going to work - I answer the question truthfully and then say if they want to cancel I can do that for them, no harm/no foul. I see that as a choice, not really a trick, but I am being truthful about answering the question.

I don't consider that as dishonest. What I had a problem with was m60drvr's suggestion to answer the question exaggerating the condition, thereby encouraging the buyer to cancel. That, IMO is misleading and dishonest less than honest. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 15 of 20
latest reply