Trying to ID what song this is...

latin.jpg

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Can Anybody Here Read Latin?

@copper.boom wrote:

WIth the research from tonight I'm thinking it's parts of different gregorian chant cut/pasted together into one print.

Agreed.  I found things with some of the other words/phrases, but I don't think it's one complete piece. Love chant. Chant style parodies too.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

First line that I can make out on the cover is "Viderunt Omnes" which is the name of a Gregorian Chant from the 11th century.

See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viderunt_Omnes

Here's a score of the music.  See if the two match up: http://www0.cpdl.org/wiki/images/1/14/Byrd_Viderunt_Gradual.pdf

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

It says something about don't listen, stand firm but it is hard to read and I don't think you could get the title of the song from that little bit of writing. Maybe someone else is better at this than me.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Thanks so much, Liv. I will check out the links. It actually says "viderunt opera" not "viderunt omnes".

I can only make out bits and pieces of the cover but not enough to identify yet.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thanks livadiaCat Happy

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Thanks Touchdown- it's difficult since it's only a clip of the song. Not to mention the Latin language combined with the calligraphy.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Maybe you could ask a priest. They know Latin better than anyone. (Not kidding.)

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Seems to be Psalm 94 from the Latin Vulgate...from what bits I can pick out and put together...

The last two lines are pretty close to  "hodie si vocem eius audieritis nolite obdurare..." which is part of Psalm 94:8.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

That is so cool Moo. Thank you.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, I'll look into that, Moo.

It's a leatherbound journal that I purchased in Italy. I purchased a bunch of items mostly in Rome & Florence -- I wasn't sure how many gifts I was going to need at Christmas that year, so I have a handful of extra items. Figured I'd try to list some of them here.

I thought this text/song print was pretty but had no idea what it said. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

Thanks so much, Liv. I will check out the links. It actually says "viderunt opera" not "viderunt omnes".

I can only make out bits and pieces of the cover but not enough to identify yet.

Yep.  On second glance, you're right.  The second word is "opera."  Sorry.

I looked at the sheet music link I sent you and the two scores don't match, so don't bother checking it out.

Pretty sure the music is Gregorian Chant, though.   Could be anything, including the chanting of a psalm.  Is this a book, a recording, or what? 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I looked at the sheet music, too - no match. Moo might be on to something with the psalm though. I'm still researching. And I agree, it looks like Gregorian Chant.

It's a leather journal (more details in post above).

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

A lot of it doesn't match up.

But...if it's a journal cover, it may be snippets of several passages taken from that translation of the Bible and kind of mashed together...
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

Trying to ID what song this is...

GOOGLE TRANSLATER

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

It's a leatherbound journal that I purchased in Italy...

I thought this text/song print was pretty but had no idea what it said. Smiley Tongue

Ah, okay...   That sorta makes sense as it looked to me that the "artwork" was created to *look like* something (as in the style of, if you catch my drift) as opposed to something "real" like an actual, continuous piece of sheet music for an actual song.

I think Moo is right on the money -- at least about that one sentence.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other words/phrases belong to something else but were used just because "they looked pretty," old, and "authentic" IYKWIM.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply