cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers targeting me to scam and not obey return policy

Okay in just one week I have had a buyer scam me and one returning product which is a authentic versace perfume new in box. 

First will share my experience with buyer who scammed me and being new seller worrying about my reputation I fell for it. This buyer purchased a table water fountain for $35, after I assigned tracking number where buyer could see the item was in transit they contasct me saying item being sent to wrong address that they moved and eBay did not update their address as per their request. I replied that I only send orders to their PayPal address, he proceded to say that address is incorrect.  So I believed this and sent another one to new address provided to me through eBay contact, sent tracking number. I checked the first tracking number assigned to package sent to address on buyers PayPal account, was delivered. The second shipment to new address caiming it he moved, the buyer called UPS and had that address changed to the shipping address on his PayPal and eBay account; the first one I shipped too. So the buyer suckered me into this being new seller with less than 100 Feedback! By way have over 100 sales successful and only 23 buyers left feedback (sad). Has anyone else had this happen to them? I reported the buyer to eBay, from a day reading fourums look like will not be addressed. This buyer has feedback, but its been longer than six months sense they made a purchase.

The second buyer order versace perfume for women, brand new authentic and sealed in box. The return policy says returns are accepted within 30 days of purchase date, all returns must be returned in original condition in this case new sealed in box not open. Instead of contacting me, they go directly through eBay open a return and PayPal took the money back putting my account in negative by forty two dollars. PayPal is holding over $500 until buyers receive their products and says hold for up to 21 days.  Which I don't mind this, as I send orders out and make sure tracking number assigned to eBay and PayPal. My concern is eBay and PayPal allowing this buyer to file for a return with a message that the bottle of perfume was opened and used, does not smell like her old bottle or looks like so she sending it back. How is this acceptable, might as well say buyer gets money back and the heck with seller return policy.  By this happening, have pulled all fragrance off my eBay listings and will only sell in person as I cannot afford this happening all the time with stock. Even if its below 100 bucks most of my sales, but it still adds up. This product is no longer new, so I can't resell and is considered used. I checked this buyers feedback again she had positive feedback but havn't bought anything in over a year. 

Like I read from so many other discussion, guess I can count these two as loss.  eBay needs to do something about the buyers scamming, can only imagine the sellers lost of higher expensive items and eBay allowing it to happen. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The buyer is supposed to open a return request. If the buyer was out to scam you, he probably would have sent a message to avoid getting on ebays Radar. To be honest it sounds like you are selling here without being aware of how the money back guarantee and PayPal buyer protection work. The buyer is claiming you sent him a used product. Of course eBay allowed him to open a return request. Why wouldn’t they? You accept returns for any reason. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

No that isn't what I meant. The buyer admits product was brand new and they opened them selves after using and now wanting a full refund after they used the product. I fully understand the eBay money back policy have no objections its only when they possibly abusing the money back guarantee. This was merely a question of other sellers experience, guess the forum is for new users to ask for advice either. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

How else would a buyer know if it was authentic if they didn't open it and use it once?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The buyer is allowed to open and use the product in this situation. There are times when the only way to know a product is counterfeit or defective, is by using it. Your buyer is claiming the perfume is fake so.....this is allowed by ebay and paypal.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@jtsboutiques wrote:

"eBay needs to do something about the buyers scamming, can only imagine the sellers lost of higher expensive items and eBay allowing it to happen." 

I think it was a smart move to remove some of your listings as this will continue to happen to you until you get a better handle on the policies. It is up to each seller to determine his risk tolerance in using the platform, ideally prior to listing. A seller must look after his own interests here, eBay is not going to as their job is to protect the buyers. In this case, you set yourself up to be scammed by not following policy. There are tools eBay has provided to minimize a seller's risk and you need to be familiar enough with them that you know what to do when a situation arises. When your buyer contacted you to alter the address, you could have offered to cancel the sale and he would have to repurchase the item. You must be adamant and not give up your seller protection by sending the item to an address not on record with PayPal. 

There is no way to 100% bulletproof yourself when selling on eBay. A dishonest buyer knows how to use eBay's policies against you. You have to know them equally well to counter the unscrupulous from taking advantage of you. That said, while selling here is a calculated risk, the vast majority of buyers are honest and will do the right thing. I am very sorry you ran into such a situation. Below are some links to policies that may help you. I wish you much continued success and better luck.

(PS--All buyers have 100% feedback scores. Since 2008 when eBay changed the rules, buyers can no longer receive negative or neutral ratings by sellers.)

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-policies?id=4214

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Just curious.  How were you able to post well over 8000 listings on this ID when you've only been on eBay just under 2 months?  I thought there were limits for new sellers.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Exactly, How is that possible? How is this person selling so many items for a dollar with free shipping? They are losing money right there and worried about two refunds or whatever.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It is to be expected that a perfume would be opened, they did purchase it to use and how would the buyer know how it smells etc??
It is also be returned for an authenticity issue...so the return is going to happen..that is policy.
There is no scam here that you have indicated.
A sealed box is also not proof of authenticity. It is your word against their....and policy says unless you can prove authenticity buyer will win...and be thankful because ebay does not always make the buyer send items back in this case.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

It is to be expected that a perfume would be opened, they did purchase it to use and how would the buyer know how it smells etc??
It is also be returned for an authenticity issue...so the return is going to happen..that is policy.
There is no scam here that you have indicated.
A sealed box is also not proof of authenticity. It is your word against their....and policy says unless you can prove authenticity buyer will win...and be thankful because ebay does not always make the buyer send items back in this case.

There is absolutely NO POLICY that says unless the seller can prove authenticity, the buyer will win. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply