cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers remorse return question

I have a customer return for buyers remorse. Never had a return before so I am trying to figure this out. So the buyer did not have a problem with paying return postage and verified my address threw messages. But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days. I told them they had to add the tracking to the return request and they added a different tracking? My only option to refund states refund full amount and buyer keeps the item. I am in possession of it, but legally is it still theirs? So confused, really don’t want to loose seller fees since it was a $400 item.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@mam98031 wrote:

@texastrickworm87 wrote:

I have a customer return for buyers remorse. 

So when they filed the Return Request that is the reason they chose?  If so then yes it is a proper Buyer Remorse return.  But if they said that in the email to you but selected a different reason when opening the Return Request it may not be correct.  The controlling reason is the one they selected when opening the Return Request.

You have the ability to send a message to the buyer from inside the Return Request.  Let them know they uploaded the wrong tracking number to the claim and they should correct that so you can process their refund since you did get the item back.  Hopefully they will work with you on this.

The title is "Buyers remorse return question" and the first sentence in the OP is "I have a customer return for buyers remorse" -- so we know it's a Buyer Remorse return request?

Also where is the ability to send a message to the buyer from inside the Return Request, to let them know they uploaded the wrong tracking number to the claim?

And to add that they should correct that so you can process their refund -- when eBay doesn't let buyers change their return tracking number?

@fern*wood wrote:

When I've had a return case open, I see a spot within the return which I can click that indicates the returned item has arrived.  Sometimes I do that if the tracking hasn't updated yet, so I can continue with my refund.  Hopefully it will let you use the toggle to not refund the original shipping.

sdneped_0-1713048674097.jpeg

Yes the options are Mark as received, and Refund buyer. After you click Mark as received @texastrickworm87 you will then be able to withhold the original shipping from your refund for the remorse return.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@sdneped 

The title is "Buyers remorse return question" and the first sentence in the OP is "I have a customer return for buyers remorse" -- so we know it's a Buyer Remorse return request?

You are reading into that statement something that is NOT said.  No where does it say that the buyer actually opened a Request for Return and selected a reason that made it a properly filed Buyer's Remorse claim.

You need to read the rest of the paragraph the OP wrote.  The OP wrote "But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days."

So the buyer shipped the item back to the OP BEFORE they opened a Request for Return.  Then the OP did not state until much later in the thread that the buyer did open the Request for Return with a buyer's remorse reason.

Also where is the ability to send a message to the buyer from inside the Return Request, to let them know they uploaded the wrong tracking number to the claim?

Well I should be careful here as Ebay changes things faster than most of us can keep up with.  I don't currently have a Return Request I can look at.  But the ability to contact the buyer use to be in the screen Open Returns.

I'm not really sure how important any of this is anymore.  The OP has their item back.  IDK if they have refunded the buyer yet as the OP has some issue with "ownership" they are trying to work out, that honestly doesn't make any sense to me, but it is important to the OP.  So as it stands now, the OP just needs to refund the buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@sdneped 

You are reading into that statement something that is NOT said.  No where does it say that the buyer actually opened a Request for Return and selected a reason that made it a properly filed Buyer's Remorse claim.

You need to read the rest of the paragraph the OP wrote.  The OP wrote "But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days."

So the buyer shipped the item back to the OP BEFORE they opened a Request for Return.  Then the OP did not state until much later in the thread that the buyer did open the Request for Return with a buyer's remorse reason. 

All that had been said and done, before OP wrote the title. Then said again when you asked. Not sure what's your point?

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@dare-2046 

Not a problem.  You can ignore the post easy enough if it doesn't cover anything you care to visit.  I just responded to another poster's question to me.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

The OP wrote "But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days." 

So now you've said that OP told the buyer within 30 minutes to open a return request first.

Then before the buyer did that, they shipped the item back first.

But incorrectly, you last said:

@mam98031 wrote:

It only complicated things when you had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay after they already had shipped back the item.  It wasn't necessary. 

It can't be both, can it?

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@kako_5344 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

The OP wrote "But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days." 

So now you've said that OP told the buyer within 30 minutes to open a return request first.

Then before the buyer did that, they shipped the item back first.

But incorrectly, you last said:

@mam98031 wrote:

It only complicated things when you had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay after they already had shipped back the item.  It wasn't necessary. 

It can't be both, can it?

No, I'm not saying that, that is what the OP said. "But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it."

I have no idea why you feel the need to argue this point.  If you take issue with what the OP said in their post, it would be best if you asked the OP directly, not me.  I am only going by what the OP actually posted.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I do Not have the option of marking it as received. Only option is to click refund, then offer full refund or partial and it states;

Send the buyer a full refund to close this request. Or you can offer a partial refund. If the buyer accepts your offer, they keep the item.

I did look into law, and basically they couldn't sue me if they are claiming ownership it their state because of jurisdiction issues, but they could travel to mine for small claims. So basically it would cost more for a trip and such so doubt that would be an option. So I will issue refund since I have the item and move on. Thank you for your help.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@texastrickworm87 wrote:

I do Not have the option of marking it as received. Only option is to click refund, then offer full refund or partial and it states;

Send the buyer a full refund to close this request. Or you can offer a partial refund. If the buyer accepts your offer, they keep the item.

I did look into law, and basically they couldn't sue me if they are claiming ownership it their state because of jurisdiction issues, but they could travel to mine for small claims. So basically it would cost more for a trip and such so doubt that would be an option. So I will issue refund since I have the item and move on. Thank you for your help.

As previously stated, there is NOT a problem to just refund your buyer.  You have the item back.  You concern over ownership, but it isn't a valid concern.  I think you are over thinking things and maybe even spinning out a little because of it.

You are making your buyer wait for their refund which is sad because this buyer has dealt with you in a very honest and forthcoming way.  No you are making them wait for their money for no real good reason.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply