cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants money back without returning item

Hello,

I know this question has been asked hundreds of times and Im sure I already know the answer, however I could use some reassurance. I sold a Jammypack Speaker, buyer paid, I shipped etc. Sunday of this week they opened a case via PayPal "The buyer reported that someone made the order without their permission.". PayPal automatically responded to the case for me with the tracking information. The item deliverered the next day however PayPal is still reviewing the case. Today (Tuesday) I get a message that says the speakers have a static sound, which I noted in my description, they have a issue if your phone's volume is at 75% or more, below that it's fine.

Anyway they want a full refund without returning it, so far no case has been opened via eBay, but what about the PayPal one? I simpily responded with bascially telling them to return it for a refund, no response yet. This buyer is brand new and I am their only feedback, I have a feeling a negative is inbound, could I fight it? The speakers sold for $16 so it's not breaking the bank if I have to refund it, but it's farily unethical for them not to follow the return policy. 

I'd appriciate any adivce, thanks! 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer wants money back without returning item

Call Paypal, have them close out the case since you mailed the item to the Paypal address. Make sure all your tracking info is uploaded before you call. Also tell them that the buyer is requesting a refund from you on Ebay. Copy and paste the messages into the Paypal case. He claims that he didn't order them, but he's used them...suuuuure he didn't order them.

"Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you're not happy with the speakers. Please return them for a full refund.

Yours,

Seller"

This puts the ball in his court.

He may be an old buyer  with a new ID who's lost Ebay buyer protection and is just trying to scam a freebie.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Call Paypal, have them close out the case since you mailed the item to the Paypal address. Make sure all your tracking info is uploaded before you call. Also tell them that the buyer is requesting a refund from you on Ebay. Copy and paste the messages into the Paypal case. He claims that he didn't order them, but he's used them...suuuuure he didn't order them.

"Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you're not happy with the speakers. Please return them for a full refund.

Yours,

Seller"

This puts the ball in his court.

He may be an old buyer  with a new ID who's lost Ebay buyer protection and is just trying to scam a freebie.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Return for refund. Since they are in paypal with their case they have to pay return shipping. Keep an eye on this case and call paypal to discuss.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It sounds like they went to their CC company and filed an unauthorized use chargeback.  If it goes like the last one I had to deal with, PayPal should automatically have you covered, and in a couple days you should get an email from PP with something to the effect of:

"As you know, one of your buyers opened a case with their financial institution.

We're happy to confirm that this transaction was covered under Seller Protection as you met the PayPal Seller Protection requirements. The disputed amount is now available in your PayPal balance.

Here are the case details:"

Now, I am not certain if they can open a case on eBay when there is a CC chargeback pending, but if it is treated as if they opened a PP buyer protection case, then an eBay case should be off the table, because once a case has been run through PayPal, they should not be able to open one on eBay.

For the three trips to the pig trough, they have to try eBay first, then PayPal, and then their CC company or bank.

So I would advise not taking any action until after the chargeback is resolved.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Very helpful, thanks. I will wait for the chargeback to be resolved which is hopefully soon. Tracking says it was delivered and I have proof they have it due to the message I received from them.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Nice thing about a chargeback for unathorized use is tracking doesn't even have to show delivered, just shipped to the address shown on the payment.  You definitely should be covered.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

No word on PayPal yet, but the buyer is really confusing me. They send me a message with a picture of a conditions page, which only talks about the each of the conditions of the product, i.e "Brand New, Pre Owned, etc". They said that it was my description and they were just noting that I said nothing about the speakers not working, however the picture I recieved had nothing to really do with anything. My description had stated the flaws of the speaker clearly. They claim now that the speaker was not working at all but in a message I recieved from them yesterday they claimed it glitches when used, which tells me that it does work, it just has the issues I stated in my description. I told them this and again stated that I would accept a return but they would need to provide valid tracking. I also think they cannot open a case like you said because of the chargeback or they probably would of by now. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Went ahead and called PayPal because I was calling eBay about another claim so may as well knock 2 birds out with 1 stone, anyway the case was decided in my favor, my rep said that since they aren't willing to ship it back, filling a chargeback defiantly doesn't help their case, he closed it immediately. Thanks for the help everyone and if your reading this with the same issue I had you should be fine, just be professional about it.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@jrmaddox wrote:
Went ahead and called PayPal because I was calling eBay about another claim so may as well knock 2 birds out with 1 stone, anyway the case was decided in my favor, my rep said that since they aren't willing to ship it back, filling a chargeback defiantly doesn't help their case, he closed it immediately. Thanks for the help everyone and if your reading this with the same issue I had you should be fine, just be professional about it.

That is great news! Congrats!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply