cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants free samples

I got this request from an ebayer today:

"Hello, I'm looking to buy a large quantity of different knives to sell in my hardware store and I've seen some of the knives you sell. Would it be possible for you to send me a few samples of different knives you sell so I can see the quality of them?"

My answer:

Sure if you will send me a few chain saws and lawn mowers so I can check the quality of them.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Buyer wants free samples

Hahaha great reply!!

People are getting crazier by the day!!

Angela

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Lol..that was funny..I wonder if he ever changed the old 1920 calendar on the wall hanging in his Mercantile!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

How about this reply:

Sure, if you will send me some samples of payment, so I can check the quality, then I'll send you the knife samples in return.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@johnwhiplash wrote:

I got this request from an ebayer today:

"Hello, I'm looking to buy a large quantity of different knives to sell in my hardware store and I've seen some of the knives you sell. Would it be possible for you to send me a few samples of different knives you sell so I can see the quality of them?"

My answer:

Sure if you will send me a few chain saws and lawn mowers so I can check the quality of them.

I LOVE your reply.  Thank you for a much needed laugh.  That is so funny.

I've had similar questions on my items.  I didn't however come up with such a clever answer as you.  I even had one buyer want to know who my vendor was for some of my products.  I swear some buyers think we are just here to play and not actually conduct business.  We are only here to do whatever it is they need or want and we have not need or desire to actually get PAID for the services we provide.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

That's funny, I have received similar offers recently asking me to send free samples as well, they said they were

"Top Social Media Influencers" (What is that?) and might mention my products in their influencing posts!

I am not sending until Kim K is contacting me directly! 🤣
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I had a kinda sorta similar hustle when I ran a brick and mortar store. A builder came in and asked how much the range hood was. $75.00. How much if I buy 24? Well we were just starting out and didn't want to lose a good sale so I quoted him $60.00. Taking $60 out of his wallet he said - OK give me one to get started and I'll be back for the other 23 later. NOPE !!!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Buyer should send some payment samples first 😄

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

So this is how scamming starting. I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I used to get postcards in the mail back in the 80s asking for samples of my candles.  They were always a "large East coast or Southeastern retailer" and wanted to evaluate my candles for their quality. Sure you do...if they were a legit retailer they would mail me on their company letterhead, not a 13 cent postcard .

Yeah, even way back then we had freebie beggars. That's what happens when you advertise in the back of Southern Living magazine lol

So yeah, that one is as old as time itself.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@nkmipgolf wrote:

So this is how scamming starting. I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.

And they say no one remembers the classics. Popeye and Wimpy salute you.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Ha! I was just thinking about how some people use the "I have X amount of followers on YouTube and Instagram, what can I get free from you"  

Different world we live in today, I think social media has ruined some moral values 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I'm disabled & retired from the Military and am on a budget.       Had one of these today.   

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

It's sad really, scares me for the future if some people "influencer's" are so full of themselves now how will they be in 10 years?.  

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

"I have a better idea: You can buy the ones you're interested in and return any that you aren't happy with"

Posting ID
Message 15 of 23
latest reply