cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wanting me to add a PO box number behind his address

This buyer requested I add a po box to his address. He says he picks up his mail. Am I permitted to do this, or just ship to the address on his paypal account. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer wanting me to add a PO box number behind his address

The buyer should have done it before he checked out.

As a seller I would add the PO Box after... maybe hand write it in.

I have a street address but all mail goes to the PO Box.

I usually have my PO Box on the 2nd line (some places don’t ship to PO Box’s)

With the PO Box on it the Post Office will hold it for me to pick up and not leave it on my porch to be stolen.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi George! Sellers should always ship to the address on the PayPal record. If you alter the address, you lose your seller protection (for Item Not Received claims) if there is a problem.

What item is it for? In the past, i have accommodated a buyer’s request to change the address after payment was already received, but it was for a low-risk item. I don’t believe i would do the same for a pricey item. 

Sellers also must be cautious these days, as there is a newer scam going around where a fraudster contacts a seller with a change of address request, and they are not the buyer. Just posing to be the buyer in order to defraud the seller.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Same here, I pick up all my mail at the PO too, small town thing.  To get around the "we don't ship to PO boxes". I add BX246 (no spaces) after my address. Works for Amazon shipping items too.  Makes the PO happy to as they hate to chase an item that does not have a box #.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@nkmipgolf wrote:

Same here, I pick up all my mail at the PO too, small town thing.  To get around the "we don't ship to PO boxes". I add BX246 (no spaces) after my address. Works for Amazon shipping items too.  Makes the PO happy to as they hate to chase an item that does not have a box #.

I might try that tip and see how much trouble I get in 😛  How many problems does it cause if the item is coming through a noon-USPS service?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Tell him eBay sellers are required to ship to the buyer's address as registered in eBay and  PayPal. Ask to cancel the transaction and then relist the item after which the buyer can buy again after he has added his PO box number to his address in eBay and PayPal. It doesn't take long.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There is no problem with non-USPS shipping to a PO Box if you have signed up for USPS's  "Street addressing" service.

https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Depending on the specifics of the request, I would probably print out the label with the PayPal address on it, then make the requested additions with my trusty Sharpie.  Is he asking you to add an actual USPS PO box, or just a mailbox number at a mailing service center?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply