cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer tried to avoid payment, now trying to return

I have a buyer who won an auction, then messaged me trying to avoid paying.  I told them I would report the item as unpaid if I didn’t receive payment.  Now they are trying to return the item saying the package was not as described, despite the item being clearly shown in several pictures.  Do I have any recourse?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Your only recourse is to have them return it for a full refund and to use this as a learning experience of “Never think that you can force someone to pay for an item that they don’t want.” If you would have just cancelled the order as customer requested you would not wasting money on return shipping cost.  

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

When they start off bad they usually get worse. If you don't take the return it could even get worse. Always cut a bad sale off as soon as possible. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

One question to ponder for future transactions with buyers: Why would you force someone to pay for something then ship it knowing they did not really want it and waste your time, their time and your money.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@jennalawson417 wrote:

I have a buyer who won an auction, then messaged me trying to avoid paying.  I told them I would report the item as unpaid if I didn’t receive payment.  Now they are trying to return the item saying the package was not as described, despite the item being clearly shown in several pictures.  Do I have any recourse?

Unfortunately this tends to happen a lot with auctions and if the buyer asked you to cancel, you have no obligation to do so, but I usually do as it almost always comes back to bite you.  The buyer probably already has one unpaid item strike and does not want to get a second one that will stop them from buying from many sellers, myself included.  When this happens I recommend just sending a buyer requested cancellation and Ebay will cancel the order which the buyer should approve so you get both your FVF returned as well as not getting a defect for the cancelled order.  

I wish I could give you better news but that is why I rarely run auctions anymore and Ebay puts automatic payment due with your fixed item listings, to try and speed up payments and eliminate what just happened to you.

I wish you the best in the future with your sales but highly recommend not trying to force a buyer to pay for an item when they have changed their mind.  This is usually what ends up happening and now you are out the shipping both ways. 

For the future when this happens you can do what you wish, but i highly recommend allowing the buyer to cancel the order and you get FVF back and you are out only the listing cost if any.  I also then add them to my list so that they are not given the opportunity to buy from me again and repeat this issue.

I hope  you get the item you are supposed to get back and are able to just move forward with your policies what ever you choose to do.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@jennalawson417 wrote:

If a buyer changed their mind after the sale but before payment or shipping, always cancel the transaction with buyer request as the reason.  It will save you a huge headache.  And, as always, block block block.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@jennalawson417 wrote:

Do I have any recourse?

Your only recourse is to accept the return, and realize that forcing buyers to pay for things they clearly do not want is a waste of your time, money, and emotion.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply