cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer submits payment dispute 4 months after delivery

Reaching out to the community to see if any other sellers have experienced this and how it went for them. 

Buyer submitted a payment dispute out of nowhere with their financial institution for an order that was completed over 4 months ago. Buyer claims “item doesn’t match description & the item is counterfeit” 

Details:

- Buyer left positive feedback with comment “item as described” a few weeks after delivery. I guess they changed their mind
- They are claiming the item is fake and now they can’t resell it and make money. The item is 100% authentic, I personally purchased the item. 

- All information used in listing is valid and matches item that was delivered. All photos used were exact photos of actual item delivered. 

I submitted my challenge response with multiple photos of proof and dialogue & I spoke to eBay over the phone before submitting, they did give me some positive vibes by stating the case should very well go in my favor.

Any other sellers deal with this nonsense? In my opinion, I think this buyer is having trouble re selling item or needs the money and is trying to scam into getting refunds.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Buyer submits payment dispute 4 months after delivery

Buying and returning gold or other precious metals is a big no no.  It used to be forbidden on ebay a while ago.  I dont know if it still is.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 16 of 44
latest reply

"I submitted my challenge response with multiple photos of proof and dialogue & I spoke to eBay over the phone before submitting, they did give me some positive vibes by stating the case should very well go in my favor."

@humblehyena 

You're getting responses from folks who have knowledge/experience about chargebacks and fighting them. I have none. The portion of your post that made me wince is what I highlighted above. Hope for the best; expect the worst. Godspeed.

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

@humblehyena wrote:

Buyer submitted a payment dispute out of nowhere with their financial institution for an order that was completed over 4 months ago. Buyer claims “item doesn’t match description & the item is counterfeit”

- Buyer left positive feedback with comment “item as described” a few weeks after delivery. I guess they changed their mind

- They are claiming the item is fake and now they can’t resell it and make money. The item is 100% authentic, I personally purchased the item. 

- All information used in listing is valid and matches item that was delivered. All photos used were exact photos of actual item delivered. 

I submitted my challenge response with multiple photos of proof and dialogue & I spoke to eBay over the phone before submitting, they did give me some positive vibes by stating the case should very well go in my favor.

Any other sellers deal with this nonsense? In my opinion, I think this buyer is having trouble re selling item or needs the money and is trying to scam into getting refunds.

Here's the short of it - My guess is you stand about a 99% chance of losing the chargeback and your item - Our opinion, is its in large part due to the lack of resources your payment processor puts toward chargebacks - I'm thinking they dont care, since they think they don't lose anything...But wait, why has the site been shedding users?... hmmmmm...

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

This happens rarely....however it does happen from time to time. The outcome will depend on the buyer's financial institution.

Good luck! 😎🙏

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@humblehyena 

You did exactly what you should have done by submitting your evidence on the Dispute / Chargeback.  I hope you will come back and tell us how things turn out for you.  Now you just have to wait and it can take awhile.

Many many sellers have had to deal with these.  Now through Ebay, before they were through PayPal.

Buyers are allowed up to 180 days to file one of these dispute IF their Credit card company will allow it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 44
latest reply

You did not mention what the item was, how much it sold for or where it shipped to but scammers tend to target certain items more than others. For NAD chargebacks there is a 99% chance that you are going to loose the chargeback. If the CC company rules in favor of the buyer they are going to be fully refunded, eBay is still going to charge you the FVF's, the buyer is going to be allowed to keep the item and the CC company is going to charge you $20 for handling the chargeback. 

EBay does have some limited protection against chargebacks but it is very specific. You may want to read through the following and see what applies in your situation. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345 

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

You may win this dispute with the FI as long as eBAY DOES THE PROPER REBUTTAL to your chargeback. First you have evidence that the customer accepted the item and gave you positive feedback. EBAY absolutely needs to include that in the rebuttal. That goes a long way in proving this customer actually approved of this transaction and product TO THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION. SOMEBODY SAID HERE OH THEY FOUND OUT IT WAS FAKE months after purchase. That is absolute baloney. If this is a re seller they cant sell it for the price they want most likely and they are backtracking on this seller and trying to force a return and WORSE yet steal this item if CC does not require return. Fight this one to the max ebay.

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

I think you are actually on target with what this person is doing without a doubt.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

I think some customers on here have been using the ole chargeback technique as well Especially 4 months out of a transaction with a fake not as described claim to recoup their funds and to steal merchandise. 

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

4 month out of a transaction and this person is saying fake when they had 4 months to verify what exactly they purchase from you is insane. If I buy something from a seller on here and I have any doubt about what I bought that item gets authenticated immediately after I get it BEFORE I even attempt to re sell something here or anywhere else. Your customer is full of it. 

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

IF the FI finds in favor of the seller the FI will let ebay release the funds and the seller gets the money back and ebay does not have to use the seller protection money to fund these SCAMMERS. IF FI finds in favor of customer the ebay can with their discretion refund the customer and the seller with money out of eBay’s funds, BAD BAD BAD, AS FAR AS ALLOWING SCAMMERS TO CONTINUE DOWN THEIR PATH, but the seller is made whole. Seller does at times get chaged a 20 dollar chargeback fee when that happens but sometimes that is waived as well.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

I am certain that may be happening now with gold getting extremely ripe for scam material.

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Well it’s a risk always especially with high value items on here absolutely.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

So this website is focused with focused categories now with high value merch. Ya better get the chargeback thing in control as best as you can ebay for sure.

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

I think some customers on here have been using the ole chargeback technique as well Especially 4 months out of a transaction with a fake not as described claim to recoup their funds and to steal merchandise. 

Say it ain't so. 😀 

Message 30 of 44
latest reply