cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer states glasses broken, provides photos that are PHOTO Shopped, what do I do?

I sent 6 wine glasses via UPS very carefully packaged,  wrapped in bubble wrap, placed in a Styrofoam box and then placed in a box.  Buyer upon immediate delivery sends message, 4 glasses are broken.  I request photos and initially I receive no photos, then 2nd request I receive one photo, looks strange and I then request additional photos to show breakage.  I receive photos but the photos appear to have been edited, looks like what they call  photo shop editing.  What do I do?  I used for the first time UPS through eBay but I feel like I am dealing with a dishonest person.  If ask they return the package for a full refund, they may fill it with rocks and cost me a bundle in postage.  Please help by directing me what to do, calling eBay is a waste of time, they have no interest in getting involved. The eBay person I spoke to doesn't even know the difference between UPS and USPS and that Louisiana is a state.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Buyer states glasses broken, provides photos that are PHOTO Shopped, what do I do?

Thank you for your very kind comments.  It is a stressful time and yes I will do the right thing and refund.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Re: Buyer states glasses broken, provides photos that are PHOTO Shopped, what do I do?

@fenixdog wrote:

The photos show the bottoms of the wine glasses broken off 

fenixdog_0-1613759769897.jpeg

The bottoms are nicely sheared off and notice the wavy cut on the yellow glass.  I have never seen glass break so nicely and flat bottoms just break off at the very bottom.

@fenixdog   I've actually seen glass break in that even pattern when the cause is extreme temperature change - it happened with some Cape Cod glass that I shipped.  I couldn't figure it out because I had packed meticulously and Cape Cod is pretty tough, until someone who works in glass said it had happened to her and several of her colleagues - they had had glass for their art shipped to them and it arrived with even breakage rather than shatter.  They work in glass for a living and had seen it before.

Edit: Forgot to tag.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 36
latest reply

Thank you for telling me this, certainly makes me feel better.  I plan to refund fully and have a positive outlook about this learning experience.  I do appreciate hearing from kind ebayers who can help me along the way.  Thank you again.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Extreme temperature change is the enemy.  Do we all know how cold the freight holds at the bottom of commercial jets get at 50,000 feet?  

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Believe it or not, one can pack glass too well.  When using bubble wrap, it will expand when it is sent by 'air' since plane cargo holds aren't always pressurized.  I've had it happen with glass and thin porcelain - not recently, but it is a lesson in caution about packing.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 20 of 36
latest reply

What makes you think they would not send back the glasses?  Another possibility is you would get them back and 4 of them are broken like they said and maybe all six would be broken on the return trip.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Old plastic, too (the 1920s stuff) - it gets really brittle and if it's packed really tightly, like taped up, will crack in even striations.

Glass is weird stuff when you think about it, not liquid, not solid, but some kind of amorphous state in between.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 36
latest reply

And it can hold my beer 😁

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

How do I refund this person, do they need to file a return request?

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Yes,  they need to file a return request?

Just ask them to submit the request.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

@fenixdog wrote:

How do I refund this person, do they need to file a return request?

Yes, and be sure everything is done through the return case, including the refund, so it's documented.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Any etched glass will break right at the edge of the etching. It's just like scoring a piece of window glass to 'break' it to size.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

I'm sorry but looking at the pictures from your listing and the one with broken glasses I feel this is a legitimate claim.  If it's insured file an insurance claim, but refund your buyer.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

There is always going to be someone who attempts to scam you.   

@lightlily_arts 

There is also always those who think you are lying.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

thank you for looking.  I am in the process of refunding.  I have notified buyer of full refund and have requested they open a Return Request.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply