cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sent back $1,300 turbocharger but switched turbo with his used one

Sold turbo ebay  to buyer he contacted me and said it did not fit.

He selected did not fit and offered to pay 1/2 of shipping.

I selected sent buyer return tag and sent him my tag since it would be a lot cheaper than using Ebay's tag.

I got it back a couple days ago and looked at it today as he was bugging for his refund.

He sent back the unit and switched the turbo head out with his used one. I have pictures of the markings that show it is not the same and it is obviuosly used.

Not sure how to handle it.

Ebay system shows return as not shipped

When I hit refund it shows "You cannot issue a refund at this time because a return request is open for an item in this order." so Ebay doesn't have my return tag in their system I would guess.

1st time scammed this large.

Looking for input

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Buyer sent back $1,300 turbocharger but switched turbo with his used one

Just an update,

After buyer filed a case Ebay found in my favor and they then reimbursed the buyer from their own pocket.

All said and done I ended up with $750 instead of $0.

I just look at it as a smaller margin sale.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

What has worked for me:   I see this more often than I think I should.  I know there are a few bad apples out there, but....there seems to be more each year (especially approaching the holidays).
  Anyway, I ignore the under $100 stuff and just send a refund and block the scammer.
But on the few BIG ticket items, I take it to eBay with pics and everything I can.  (but I don't respond or argue with the buyer).
So far, about twice a year, I do this and eBay sides with both of us.  They send the buyer money back and let me keep the payment. 
BUT, I only do this a couple times a year on the big stuff.
I let the little stuff slide. (don't want to wear out my welcome, so to speak)

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus I know you have already resolved the issue, but FWIW, when we have this issue my m.o. is to first contact the buyer, with pictures, showing that the item I received appears to be their original part.  I always phrase my message to indicate that the buyer must have sent the wrong part back "on accident". 🙂

I never hear back from the buyer, and after waiting only about 4 hours I will contact ebay and let them know what happened, let them know I have contacted the buyer with no response and ask them to review the listing and the messages in the return case.   This has only happened twice in the last 4-5 years, but each time it has happened ebay has refunded the buyer out of their pocket and I have been out nothing.  Of course, I always report the buyer and block them after it's over.

@redlinear Our issues have always been with items that are around $100, so I am glad to hear that this process can work with big ticket items as well.

@cssurplus Sorry that this happened to you, returns are bad enough in the auto parts segment with buyers who don't look at pictures, don't read the description, "are pretty sure" that the part will fit their car or truck, etc.  Buyers who use returns to get a free part especially bug me.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Start talking about it and sure enough...had a switch returned today.
Reason was: Changed Mind
  My left seat switch with the gray plug is now mysteriously a right switch with a brown plug.
And I've confirmed via inventory check, I did ship the correct left side gray plug switch.
Ugh....

Message 19 of 19
latest reply