cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says new item stinks of garbage, then washed, and still stinks - claimed as defective

Hi everyone. This is a new one in thousands of sales over decades - I know it happens but this has an extra twist lol.

Sold 2 items that were part of a set (I kept and am using the other part and everything was perfect.) New in package removed only to separate (left still folded) then re bagged, stored and shipped.  

Return claim comes in as item defective. Note is that they came smelling like garbage, buyer washed and they STILL SMELL like garbage. I just have to laugh. It's pretty clear they just want a free return but wow - garbage! There was an attached photo just showing the product before the wash still looking new.  This is a long time buyer/seller it looks like, so they know the drill. 

Ebay said to accept the return, they cant decide if smelled like garbage and dont know it was even new. Okay, fine, part of online selling - but what about the buyer washing a new item? They said oh well about the washing you STILL need to accept it, then when you get it back you can tell us it was washed and we MAY do something. Um, the item is returned, what could they do at that point - assume the buyer would have already been refunded; can't imagine they would remove those funds and send to me after it being returned. And I don't have to prove he washed it - he said he did right in the claim!

They said oh if you also file a report against the buyer and you win we will give you the return shipping funds as a credit. Um, so then the buyer gets notified and I risk negative feedback? No thanks. Since I would have accepted the return, I'm not "winning" a dispute so am I right that they can still leave feedback, even negative, as usual?

It's not a huge amount so not the end of the world but just curious about these kinds of situations - what do you guys do and is it even worth it to file against the buyer if it indeed comes back and is fine as expected? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer says new item stinks of garbage, then washed, and still stinks - claimed as defective

@s.scharmu0 wrote:

Does any one know how to help this seller???

Yeah, refund the buyer then appeal.

That IS the help

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

The only thing you can really do is report the buyer for returning item not in same condition as received (washing).  This files a report with eBay. If enough sellers do this, buyer will lose their money back guarantee.  

Unfortunately, this is the only thing you can do.  When a buyer files a NAD, you have no choice but to pay for the return and refund. Yes, they can still leave bad feedback even after being refunded.

Sorry this has happened to you

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I've reported the buyer (different scenario than yours), gotten the refund on the shipping (from ebay) and resold the item..........

I would say.......some people are VERY Sensitive to smells......and "new" cloth can have a vinegar smell, especially if it's been in a plastic bag.  It should wash out. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@cockerspanielcute wrote:

Hi everyone. This is a new one in thousands of sales over decades - I know it happens but this has an extra twist lol.

Sold 2 items that were part of a set (I kept and am using the other part and everything was perfect.) New in package removed only to separate (left still folded) then re bagged, stored and shipped.  

Return claim comes in as item defective. Note is that they came smelling like garbage, buyer washed and they STILL SMELL like garbage. I just have to laugh. It's pretty clear they just want a free return but wow - garbage! There was an attached photo just showing the product before the wash still looking new.  This is a long time buyer/seller it looks like, so they know the drill. 

Ebay said to accept the return, they cant decide if smelled like garbage and dont know it was even new. Okay, fine, part of online selling - but what about the buyer washing a new item? They said oh well about the washing you STILL need to accept it, then when you get it back you can tell us it was washed and we MAY do something. Um, the item is returned, what could they do at that point - assume the buyer would have already been refunded; can't imagine they would remove those funds and send to me after it being returned. And I don't have to prove he washed it - he said he did right in the claim!

They said oh if you also file a report against the buyer and you win we will give you the return shipping funds as a credit. Um, so then the buyer gets notified and I risk negative feedback? 

They aren't notified of that.

...and a buyer can leave you a negative feedback because they stepped in a puddle on their way to work or a bird pooped on their car.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Thanks guys. 

So when you report the buyer, is the return shipping credit automatic? Like is it a thing they look at and determine if you "win or lose" that report - or is it just a courtesy regardless? I'm just worried they will get refunded, leave no feedback, then get a warning from Ebay about returns and know it was me - then leave a negative. 

I thought of that new smell usually w/ cotton etc - but in no way is that garbage-like,  and it certainly would come out in washing. I just can't imagine any scent on a new item ever not coming out in the wash.  It made me laugh but also horrified me - if he says it in a claim, what if he SAYS THAT IN THE FEEDBACK! 

Also - isn't returning something in different condition against Ebays tos? So if the buyer states they did this, shouldn't the return request be closed as they are requesting something that isn't allowed? It's not like he's claiming to return it unwashed and I have to prove otherwise by getting it back...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Thanks guys. 

So when you report the buyer, is the return shipping credit automatic? Like is it a thing they look at and determine if you "win or lose" that report - or is it just a courtesy regardless? I'm just worried they will get refunded, leave no feedback, then get a warning from Ebay about returns and know it was me - then leave a negative. 

I thought of that new smell usually w/ cotton etc - but in no way is that garbage-like,  and it certainly would come out in washing. I just can't imagine any scent on a new item ever not coming out in the wash.  It made me laugh but also horrified me - if he says it in a claim, what if he SAYS THAT IN THE FEEDBACK! 

Also - isn't returning something in different condition against Ebays tos? So if the buyer states they did this, shouldn't the return request be closed as they are requesting something that isn't allowed? It's not like he's claiming to return it unwashed and I have to prove otherwise by getting it back...

not automatic unless the buyer has a long history of faulty returns....at least that is what I heard

smells aren't even part of the MBG unless smell was a selling point like the item is cinnamon scented but it came lemon scented. technically the buyer abused the MBG by returning because of a smell.

...and again yes the buyer abused and voided the MBG by washing the item and returning it though you are unlikely to ever hear of ebay enforcing the MBG to protect a seller.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

For what it's worth read the accepted solution by an eBay employee. He says smells are not covered by MBG. 

Lip service, no doubt. Could be true if eBay decides case by case like they did many moons ago. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Accurate-Description-State-When-Your-Item-Smells-of-Perfume/m-p...

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Thanks, this is interesting! So lets say I called up, read them this and they somehow agreed and closed the claim in my favor and he had to keep it.   The buyer then could not leave feedback correct?

I still can't imagine any situation where a WASH would result in a garbage smell remaining even if that's what he thought it was - plus if it was some weird new item thing woudn't mine have had that too (mine was a huge version of theirs)   Oh well - it happens, part of the drill and I really never have any returns so its okay but also hate to add to the thought that oh, this is how you get around the return policy and make the seller pay shipping too.  

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

HI!

They should not have refunded the buyer they washed the item. E should have seen this in the chats & sided with you. There must be something else you can do. 1 case I won cause of washing an item as stated by a buyer.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

There were zero chats or messages. He got it yesterday, and filed the return request today. 😞 

More interesting is I checked out some of their listings and there is a quite a detailed professional but semi rant about returns and related - specifically mentioning about not just changing your mind etc etc.  So they seem to be sensitive to these things as as seller which makes it even more strange he would do it as a buyer (unless his buyers taught him how to do it!)

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If eBay actually closes the case in your favor they can't  leave negative feedback.  In the past when eBay decided case by case they let you keep the money and they gave the buyer a courtesy refund. This allows them to leave negative feedback. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Over & over eBay employees have said here that smells are a Remorse Return.  HOWEVER, they also say if the buyer "accidentally" (or on purpose) filed it as a SNAD, you need to respond as though it is a SNAD.  Then, report them after the fact.   What can they do after the fact?  They may choose to refund you I suppose & if you qualify give you the $6 credit.  

The buyer will be able to leave FB, but you if you eventually win or even if it was a fake SNAD & you report it, it is quite likely you can get the FB removed. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

The reason is actually defective - which is still wrong but I guess makes no difference...

Is it worth me calling, explaining this is against their own policy and hoping they close it / leaving the buyer unable to leave fb?   Or just give up, accept the return, and report the buyer for washing after - which again seems ridiculous bc he literally admits it in the  claim lol

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@s.scharmu0 wrote:

Yeah, refund the buyer then appeal.

That IS the help

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

The reason is actually defective - which is still wrong but I guess makes no difference...

Is it worth me calling, explaining this is against their own policy and hoping they close it / leaving the buyer unable to leave fb?   Or just give up, accept the return, and report the buyer for washing after - which again seems ridiculous bc he literally admits it in the  claim lol

It is not worth your time.

Ebay refuses to enforce the MBG if it protects a seller.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply