cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer saying they haven't received item, but it was marked delivered

For what it's worth, she doesn't seem to have a history of extorting sellers judging by her feedback and isn't being rude or confrontational with me. She just asked if tracking showed delivered on my end (which it does - on the USPS site and on eBay tracking). 

It was marked delivered yesterday, but tracking shows it was left on the porch. In my experience slight delays can happen and the package shows up a day later. In this case though, I think the item may have been stolen since it was left in the open. 

How would you handle this? Is it the buyer's responsibility to contact their postmaster to inquire about the package?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@uzumakeywrote:

Is it the buyer's responsibility to contact their postmaster to inquire about the package?

Yeah, pretty much.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I would email her back, tell her that the USPS has GPS tracking on most of their deliveries and to call her local Post Office. If they can't help her, there is also an online form she can fill out.

In my experience most of the packages are not stolen from people's porches, they are misdelivered and usually show up once the wrong recipient puts the package back into the mailstream.

I was able to track one of my personal "delivered" packages which had been delivered to the house across the street, put behind their fence when they were away on vacation.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@uzumakey wrote:

For what it's worth, she doesn't seem to have a history of extorting sellers judging by her feedback and isn't being rude or confrontational with me. She just asked if tracking showed delivered on my end (which it does - on the USPS site and on eBay tracking). 

It was marked delivered yesterday, but tracking shows it was left on the porch. In my experience slight delays can happen and the package shows up a day later. In this case though, I think the item may have been stolen since it was left in the open. 

How would you handle this? Is it the buyer's responsibility to contact their postmaster to inquire about the package?

Hi @uzumakey, I'm happy to give some insight about this. Our Seller Protections do cover you if tracking shows the item has been delivered to the buyer. While you would not be expected to issue them a refund, you are definitely welcome to try and reach a resolution with your buyer if you'd like. Either you or the buyer can contact the post office to see if they are able to track down the package. It may be a better experience for your buyer if you go the extra mile to contact their post office about this, though I want to reiterate that this is not something we (eBay) require you to do.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

^^  I had one better than that.  I had a package scanned as delivered on a Saturday morning.  I got the usual ping on my gadget but was busy and didn't get outside right away.  When I did check a couple of hours later ...  no package.  Too big for my mailbox, but no where in sight in the usual places.  Not long before that, there were issues of me getting a neighbor's mail ... a nieghbor almost a mile away.  Yeah, our houses are that far apart, 1 or 2 houses per miles sometimes.  Checked with them .. nope.

Monday morning I went to the PO to see if a Sub might have been working and where they might have left it.  My regular carrier was still loading for that day and handed me the package.  Told me they noticed it was starting to rain, so they came back by and picked it up so it wouldn't get wet.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I lost two packages once because I had my mail on hold when I went on vacation. They all showed delivered when they arrived at the post office. Came home, packages were delivered and I put them aside for a week because of life. When I finally unwrapped them there were two missing. Since it was a week later I didn't even bother trying to track them down. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort.

They never showed up. I sometimes wonder where they went. Nearly all my misdelivered packages eventually arrive at my house. They never did.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

USPS took 4 days to deliver a package after having previously scanned it as having been delivered.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Wow.  I am envious reading your post.  What I would not do, sometimes, to live in the country with a house not in sight for a mile or two.   To add to that, your postman being of the caliber to take your package back for protection from inclement weather.

I have convenience in this urban jungle I am jailed in, but the inmates run this asylum and it is not the place for courteous civil servants.    

How would you handle this? Is it the buyer's responsibility to contact their postmaster to inquire about the package? uzumakey - op - unquote ---------------------------------------------------------

If the tracking number says '' delivered ''  there's not much the postmaster can do  . When buyers are expecting a package  then they should provide a safe place for their carrier to leave it if they know they won't be home during the day . I've had two experiences like this . On one the tracking said '' delivered '' but the buyer claimed she never got it .  It turned out that a bad storm in their area  had blown the small package off their porch  and left it under a pile of leaves .On the other the tracking said '' delivered '' as well ,, but the buyer claimed the package was empty . Since I knew I wouldn't have shipped a flat weightless package to her , I had to turn the matter over to e bay . Since tracking had proved delivery  I wasn't forced to refund  the buyer . It seems to me when it's proven the seller did everything they were supposed to do  then they shouldn't be penalized . Tulips 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

brian@ebaywrote:

@uzumakeywrote:

Hi @uzumakey, I'm happy to give some insight about this. Our Seller Protections do cover you if tracking shows the item has been delivered to the buyer. While you would not be expected to issue them a refund, you are definitely welcome to try and reach a resolution with your buyer if you'd like. Either you or the buyer can contact the post office to see if they are able to track down the package. It may be a better experience for your buyer if you go the extra mile to contact their post office about this, though I want to reiterate that this is not something we (eBay) require you to do.

You forgot to add "and we won't allow you to close the case for 3 days anyway"

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Either party may contact the local post office.  If the parcel never shows up and included insurance, either file the claim within the claim window, or provide the buyer with a copy of the postal receipt so they may do so.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

It is best for the buyer to contact her post office.  As soon as possible.  The carrier may still remember where exactly the package was left.  Or even if the package was not actually delivered but incorrectly marked as such.

The buyer knows her own area and is in the best position to talk with the postmaster, supervisor, or carrier about where the package might be.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

brian@ebaywrote:

@uzumakeywrote:

You forgot to add "and we won't allow you to close the case for 3 days anyway"

Hi @lookng2015We're actually able to skip the 3 business day waiting period if tracking confirms delivery. This was not always an option, but is now available for sellers if they would like to get this closed out sooner. This isn't an option from the website, so sellers will need to contact Customer Service and they can review the details to get this resolved as needed. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

The same thing happened to me recently. I called UPS to verify my address on the tracking number. They said delivery address was not my address. The delivery name was not my name. But Ebay denied refund, even after I gave them this information,  because it was "delivered." I had to appeal the decision made by the Ebay Resolution Center. The seller would not respond to me. It was clearly a scam. Eventually Ebay called it stolen and isusued me a "courtesy" refund.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Then someone better tell Trinton that.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 23
latest reply