cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's local PO literally doesn't deliver any mail

I sold an item (around 250 dollars) and paid about 50 bucks for postage to a new US buyer whose package came back as insufficient. I wondered why and had my PO try again, saying the address is correct. I messaged the buyer to make sure the address is 100% correct, they confirmed. And it got stamped as insufficient AGAIN. This was a time sensitive item that the time limit has already passed for the buyer. Now they are not answering my messages or calling me back but it's only been like 3 days.

I called the local PO and they finally told me that the entire city doesn't get mail delivery, they need a PO box and come get the mail. They never make it to the houses/businesses, so they never even leave a pickup notice... tracking just shows insufficient address.

So what do I do now? I never experienced this before in my 15 years of selling. I'm wondering how come the buyer didn't know this. Even if they were new to the city, no idea what to do regarding communication, fees, postage, etc.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

wow........what city is it? 

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

You shouldn't try to sell time sensitive items because delivery could become problematic.   Then you're stuck with useless tickets.   That aside, if  you sent it to the address provided and it was undeliverable/or the address was insufficient you're supposed to be protected.   However,  you can't end up with the item and the money  so if it's  returned don't try to redeliver it but deduct the original shipping and refund the buyer.  

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I also live in a city without usps home delivery. UPS and FedEx will deliver to the home. I was getting the message this seller doesn't deliver to po boxes on some eBay purchases. I talked with my post office, and the way around it was use my home address with a #XXXX (PO Box number after the pound sign) at the end of the street address line.

Now everything gets delivered, either to the po box, or street address depending on carrier.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

The super small town where I have my post office box is like that. There is no delivery service whatsoever. You have to have a post office box.

I live a few hundred yards into the adjacent municipality, so I am lucky to have home/street box delivery; otherwise I'd be out of luck.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

"they finally told me that the entire city doesn't get mail delivery, they need a PO box and come get the mail. They never make it to the houses/businesses, so they never even leave a pickup notice... tracking just shows insufficient address." @bigdeals.etc

Thread like this makes me appreciate my own POs in my small parish. 1st thought, came to my mind is are we living in a 1st World country or what?  I really need to get out more.

Per @fab_finds4u : " ... ... it's returned don't try to redeliver it but deduct the original shipping and refund the buyer ..."

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Sophie - Forever Sidekick: April 2007 to Sept 05, 2017

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

You shouldn't try to sell time sensitive items because delivery could become problematic.   Then you're stuck with useless tickets.   That aside, if  you sent it to the address provided and it was undeliverable/or the address was insufficient you're supposed to be protected.   However,  you can't end up with the item and the money  so if it's  returned don't try to redeliver it but deduct the original shipping and refund the buyer.  

Any item can be time sensitive. I didn't sell anything that expires or anything like that, but just the buyer needed to have it arrive by a certain date... it's time sensitive to them. Yea I was thinking about the whole deducting the original $50 shipping from the refund. But if you do a partial refund thru paypal, you still pay FVF for the whole amount. For something that's $300, that comes out to at least an additional $30+. Should I deduct that from the refund amount too?

@dhbookdsIt's Breckenridge, CO. My guess is because of all the snow there... unamused

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Not sure if you can after it's been shipped, but if you can, then cancel using problem with buyer's address, then refund minus shipping and restocking fee (if you have one).
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

wrote:
Not sure if you can after it's been shipped, but if you can, then cancel using problem with buyer's address, then refund minus shipping and restocking fee (if you have one).

I've cancelled many purchases in the past, some by buyers officially filing a cancellation request, and others from just buyer messages asking me to (nothing filed). All of them were cancelled before I sent out the item... Full refunds were issued automatically after cancelling.

But I never used the reason "problem with buyer's address." Is it different with that reason that you're able to dictate a refund amount?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

I've cancelled many purchases in the past, some by buyers officially filing a cancellation request, and others from just buyer messages asking me to (nothing filed). All of them were cancelled before I sent out the item... Full refunds were issued automatically after cancelling.

But I never used the reason "problem with buyer's address." Is it different with that reason that you're able to dictate a refund amount?

You can only refund in full when cancelling a transaction. It doesn't matter what reason you choose.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

I also grew up in a town without USPS home delivery.

Everybody had a PO box and you had to go to the PO and pick up your mail.

Seems like the buyer in this case should have his correct address on file with EBAY and Paypal.  So when the seller printed the shipping label.....................?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I have to wonder how that buyer receives anything (e.g. a water bill?). Does he have any feedback left for others yet? I would tell him to go get himself a PO Box, which shouldn't take him more than a day, and then re-purchase with whatever his new, functional address is.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc

My little home town only has PO boxes, no to house delivery.

Run the address through the USPS address look up.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Any item can be time sensitive. I didn't sell anything that expires or anything like that, but just the buyer needed to have it arrive by a certain date... it's time sensitive to them. Yea I was thinking about the whole deducting the original $50 shipping from the refund. But if you do a partial refund thru paypal, you still pay FVF for the whole amount. For something that's $300, that comes out to at least an additional $30+. Should I deduct that from the refund amount too?

@dhbookdsIt's Breckenridge, CO. My guess is because of all the snow there... unamused

You can certainly deduct your fees. Paypal will refund partial fees but eBay doesn’t. We’ve been to,d if you call eBay and ask they will refund partial fees but don’t bank on that until you call.

If I were you I’d deduct the shipping & handling, the eBay fees & the restocking fee if you have one.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

I have to wonder how that buyer receives anything (e.g. a water bill?). Does he have any feedback left for others yet? I would tell him to go get himself a PO Box, which shouldn't take him more than a day, and then re-purchase with whatever his new, functional address is.

Maybe he receives them electronically? We haven't received a paper water bill in years 🙂

I'm just wondering why the PO doesn't just hold the package....or maybe they do? There is a small city here with no street addresses therefore there is no home mail delivery; everyone has a PO box. Maybe the buyer lives somewhere like that. But you would think he would have a PO box. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 31
latest reply