cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned wrong item. What can I do?

I sold a item to a buyer recently. As soon as the package was delivered to the buyer, they open a SNAD return case saying it was defective/damaged. I offer a 30 day return so therefor the SNAD return was automatically approved by ebay.

Today, the package came back and the item that the buyer sent back is not the same one I sent to them. They have bought my item which is an identical models to theirs. They swapped/switch out their defective one and sent their broken unit back to me. I checked the Serial numbers and the Unique ID numbers on my item from the pictures in my listing and they are totally different from the one they had sent back to me. I am a Top rated seller. What can I do?

In the return, I am given an option to "report the buyer", and from there a list of option to choose from. There is one where you can click "Buyer return wrong item". When I choose that option, it tells me to escalate the situation to customer service. Should I do it? What are my chances that I will win since I have read through numerous threads here and from most of them, ebay sides with the buyer and the sellers gets a strike.

I provided some pictures for insight.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since you accept returns I think you can withhold 50% of the refund. Doesn't really help much in cases like this though. Police report, IC3 report, and mail fraud report I suppose?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Doesn't matter what you do. Bottom line is Ebay has it set up to allow buyers to get away with this kind of behavior. Basically the seller you loses their money and item. If the buyer says not as described, broken or anything similar the seller loses. 

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Since you accept returns I think you can withhold 50% of the refund. Doesn't really help much in cases like this though. Police report, IC3 report, and mail fraud report I suppose?
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

For starters you are a top rated seller so you can keep 50% of the refund. I'd give the buyer the benefit of the doubt for a minute by asking / messaging if (s)he realized the wrong one was sent back... see attached pics, etc. 

If no response or a lie, report him to ebay but more important report him to the local police in the jurisdiction where he lives. You do have the buyers name and address.. and photos. It is fraud.  Good luck

I am who I am- those who matter don't mind. Those who mind, don't matter.
Message 4 of 53
latest reply

I think I messed up. I clicked the report " buyer return wrong item " and explain my reasons and uploaded pictures. I clicked the escalate to ebay customer service. So I can not offer the buyer 50% deduction. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Most likely a bot huh?

Now, I don't understand why ebay would want to put that option of "buyer return wrong item " to allow us to escalate to customer service if the seller is going to lose 100% of the case anyways? Isn't that just a trick for us to get a defect on our seller performance since it will end up with a unresolved strike?

Man, this is bogus. Straight up robbery.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Yes, it's misleading... we all agree. It's like painting yourself into a corner.

Just to clarify in case you don't already know, the steps to refund 50% is done by clicking the "refund buyer" link instead. Afterwards it asks you to choose how much to refund with the full refund as the default choice. You are then free to comment on why you are not giving the full refund.

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

I made a mistake of trying to escalate this to ebay. I already open a escalation and now when clicking that option I don't get to do a 50% refund. Only option is to fully refund.
Message 7 of 53
latest reply

@sai83her wrote:
I made a mistake of trying to escalate this to ebay. I already open a escalation and now when clicking that option I don't get to do a 50% refund. Only option is to fully refund.

And you won't because you asked Ebay to step in.  If Ebay rules for the Buyer you will be refunding 100%, get a defect and they won't refund your FVFs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

I disagree it’s that dim or impossible.

I say wait until EBay does it’s thing, and then call CS and don’t give up. Stubborn and insistent but still polite.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I disagree it’s that dim or impossible.

I say wait until EBay does it’s thing, and then call CS and don’t give up. Stubborn and insistent but still polite.

What?  I think you misunderstood my post.  So if Ebay rules in favor of the buyer, the seller can still do partial refunds???  Are you sure, or do we just have a misunderstanding here?

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

No, I’m saying OP has to let the escalation run its course now, but appeal like crazy once it closes.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Or, who knows?

This one is really clear - I’m curious to see if EBay protects the OP.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Or, who knows?

This one is really clear - I’m curious to see if EBay protects the OP.

LOL  Thanks for the giggle.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

Hey, I’ve had some luck with CS. 

Call me optimistic.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Hey, I’ve had some luck with CS. 

Call me optimistic.

As have I.  But I think my point was different than your point was.  My was simple.  If Ebay rules the return in the favor of the buyer, since the seller asked Ebay to step in, Ebay will not allow the seller to do a partial refund.  It will be a full refund.  

Now it may very well be that Ebay won't rule in favor of the buyer.  Only time will tell.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply