cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refused delivery, opened INAD case. How do I proceed?

Got a message from a buyer saying they refused delivery on their order; the carrier said that shipping was short $10 and that the customer had to pay it. Order was free shipping so buyer (understandably) refused, not sure how this happened since I weigh and measure all my items beforehand. Called USPS and the item is in fact back being sent back and in route to me.

Customer then opens INAD - "Carrier was asking for the shipping charges, bought this with free shipping. I refused the delivery, postman said it will be returning to the sender. Issue refund"

I wish he would've just contacted me, I would have GLADLY just sent him the $10 for shipping, but it's fine I guess. I have no problem whatsoever refunding (and eating the shipping charges since this was ultimately my fault) once I receive the item back, I would just like some advice on how to proceed from here. I've never had this happen before, how long does it usually take to receive the shipment back? This is also my first INAD so I'm wondering if this will effect my selling standards? I will definitely be double checking all my measurements/weights from now on, don't want this happening again.

I did speak with the customer and apologized profusely, as of right now I don't think he'll be leaving bad feedback but who knows. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Once buyer refuses delivery they lose all buyer protection. Call eBay and advise of the issue, also respond to the INR case and show they refused delivery

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Did you print out the shipping label via ebay?   It's very odd for the usps to ask the recipient for the short postage due.  Usually if you're short on postage, the usps will bill ebay and ebay will deduct the amount you were short from your funds.  It happens to me every month or so.

In this case, i would refund the buyer so he gets his money back right away.  When you get the item back you can re-list it and the buyer is welcome to buy it again.  This time make double sure it has the correct postage on it.   Good luck. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@whiteyswrecking wrote:

Once buyer refuses delivery they lose all buyer protection. Call eBay and advise of the issue, also respond to the INR case and show they refused delivery

Postage due is one reason a buyer can refuse a package and still be covered by the MBG.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Wait!  A INAD case or a INR case?

I actually won a INAD case once.  One of the few INAD cases i ever won.  The reason i won was because the buyer filed a INAD case before he even received the package. How can you claim it is not as described when you haven't even received it yet?  Maybe the same would apply to you in this case?

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@stickerberry 

Once the item is returned, go to the case and refund the buyer.

As long as you refund the buyer and don't get Ebay involved, you'll be ok.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

When you get the item back.......and IF you can't figure out why postage was due, take it to the PO and ask them.......  I've had them resend it for free if their error..........of course depends on if your buyer wants it any more........

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I would refund the buyer immediately and deal with the USPS issues later.  Don't wait until you get the item back.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Where did you buy the label?

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

I would refund the buyer immediately and deal with the USPS issues later.  Don't wait until you get the item back.

That's what i would  do to - depending on how expensive the item is.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Thank you all for your responses! I buy all my labels through eBay and I thought they usually just charge you if you have any postage due. That has happened to me before with FedEx (not with USPS though) and they just charged my account. So I guess USPS charges the recipient? But anyway, I think you all have answered my questions, so basically  if I just go ahead and handle the situation without eBay stepping in I should have no issues. I was also wondering if I should just go ahead and refund the customer, I know a lot of you don't suggest refunding until I have the item in hand but I feel like it would be okay in this instance? I want to just go ahead and resolve this as soon as possible. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

My daughter bought some items last Nov. and package came to her "Postage Due", she of course paid for it because it was Christmas presents. In her case: the seller sent a hoodie "Media Mail" and (oops my bad) send her the balance.

Very next week she got another package "Postage Due". Seller wasn't helpful and she returned it.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Yes, I think I will just go ahead and refund him. I know USPS has my item and they're shipping it back so fingers crossed for no issues. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@stickerberry wrote:

Thank you all for your responses! I buy all my labels through eBay and I thought they usually just charge you if you have any postage due. That has happened to me before with FedEx (not with USPS though) and they just charged my account. So I guess USPS charges the recipient? But anyway, I think you all have answered my questions, so basically  if I just go ahead and handle the situation without eBay stepping in I should have no issues. I was also wondering if I should just go ahead and refund the customer, I know a lot of you don't suggest refunding until I have the item in hand but I feel like it would be okay in this instance? I want to just go ahead and resolve this as soon as possible. 

In this specific case I'd say it's probably okay to go ahead and refund before receiving the return.

And just for your info, yes, you never want to let ebay step in in any case. No matter what it is you want to take care of it yourself.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@stickerberry wrote:

Yes, I think I will just go ahead and refund him. I know USPS has my item and they're shipping it back so fingers crossed for no issues. 

As long as it's being shipped back, I would go ahead and refund the buyer.

Don't be surprised if they make you pay the postage due before they'll let you have the package.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 26
latest reply